US Service Providers

@chudy Thanks for sharing this with us. Out of curiosity, what network does Google Fi card use. I wasn’t able to get any info online. I would love to get some more info about it, perhaps it’s an option for some of our users.

3 Likes

It uses T-Mobile.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to reply and help users with this Jose_Briones. Do you work for Mudita? If no, why are users left to troubleshoot this on their own? It seems to me clear carrier compatibility and options should be the most important thing to offer your customers after they back your project and wait for the phone for over a year. I am not talking about network reach or signal strength as that is dependent on the region, but acceptance of a device onto a network. When I give the IMEI number online or to an agent it comes up as the modem inside the phone, not the phone itself, could this be part of the problem?
I am in a similar situation as @melissa42 and have tried several carriers, mostly ATT and TMobile MVNOs.
So far h20wireless is the only one that was able to accept the pure but ATT coverage is far from stable in my town. People who are using TMobile MVNOs, how do you get past the website not recognizing the IMEI as compatible with their network? I recently called Tello (sprint/t-mobile) and they actually looked at the tech specs for the phone on the mudita website and were able to determine that the pure was not compatible with T-Mobile because it was missing one of the required bands for that network.

Also tried Boost, the agent on the phone tried different methods but could not get passed the system saying the device is not compatible.

So anyone using a T-Mobile MVNO where you ported your number, which one did you use and how did you get past the website blocking the IMEI?
Thank you for your replies

2 Likes

You have to sign up with a different IMEI not related to the Pure. This happens with a lot of niche devices. I don’t work for Mudita haha. I’m just passionate about dumbphones and have been reviewing them for 2 years now on my YouTube channel.

In order to use the T-mobile network, you need to have it “activated” on a different device’s IMEI (iPhone or Android will work) and then switch the SIM card to the Mudita Pure. It should be good to go. I’ve signed up with BYOD on Simple Mobile or Tracfone with an iPhone IMEI and then I never put the SIM card in said iPhone, but only on the dumbphones and it works.

Most of the time this is left to users because Mudita is not selling via the retailer. They are also a foreign company and can’t test everything. They have said in the past that T-mobile is the best network though. AT&T and Verizon, the Mudita Pure doesn’t have the certifications necessary to operate in the network and you can be kicked off at any point. Most MVNO’s won’t kick you out, but their main plans will.

7 Likes

Ahhh that is very helpful, I didn’t know you could give another IMEI and then just put the sim card in the Mudita without needing to register the phone. Will try that, thank you!

5 Likes

I’m brand new to US Mobile and they offer both tmobile and verizon sim cards. I live in Northern CA and the TMobile (white sim card)worked fine for my smart phone.
My Pure arrived when I was in Indianapolis and it worked OK, but not great, especially while indoors. There was a period of time where I didn’t get it receive any texts or calls

I go back to NorCal on the 18th and hope that it works well there.

4 Likes

I am also interested in this phone because I have emf sensitivity, so I am thrilled to hear that the Pure doesn’t hurt you. I hope you will find a network that works for you! I haven’t gotten the phone yet, so I don’t have anything to report re networks that work or don’t work.

3 Likes

After 2 weeks of use, I got an X for service and it has never restored. I put the sim into other phones and it worked. I put it back in the Pure and it still didn’t work. I then tried Messi with the APN settings as they aren’t what the carrier says they should be, however, the fields do not match what the carrier says they should be.

My Pure has st in a drawer for the last two weeks as a result. I was willing to work through all the glitches and everything, but now it wont work at all. :triumph:

Once I have more capacity, I may try another carrier. Has anyone had a carrier in the US work consistently and consecutively for an extended period of time with no issues?

3 Likes

@mmallen37 In Mudita Pure, under settings >>> network>>>APN, you have the ability to manually change/input new APN settings. If your carrier said that they are not what they need to be, did they give you the correct settings?

2 Likes

There is no US carrier that I have tested that works flawlessly. Most of them work for a couple fo days and then reset the APN’s. It’s a constant battle of finding which APN works for which week/2 weeks.

3 Likes

Even if the user edits it, the phone resets the APN every so often here in the US. Just FYI.

3 Likes

Yes, they gave me the correct settings, however, the Pure does not have all of the same fields and as @jose_Briones said, the APN settings will reset themselves after some time.

Are you in the US, Urzula?

3 Likes

@mmallen37 I’m in Poland.

2 Likes

Phew. Got my phone today and since I have T-Mobile I thought it may work. But it doesn’t lol. So, I chatted with a person on their helpline today and they are sending a new sim card. Not sure if that is an actual solution or if they were just trying to get rid of me because I was asking too many questions. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

@crinita Several users have reported that getting a new sim card solves the issue. Please let us know if it works for you.

2 Likes

In addition to a page dedicated to known working network operators, I think we also need a page dedicated to the correct APN settings for each network / MVNO. Very often, operators will tell you the APN settings, but either provide a walkthrough for an Android/iPhone, use the Android/iPhone names for each of the settings. What we need is a page telling you what to put in each of the Pure’s APN settings boxes.

6 Likes

I understand this issue isn’t solely on Mudita, however, I am frustrated with this phone and as of right now appears to be an expensive paper weight. The phone is just sitting in a drawer at this point. I have all the boxes and things, May I send it back for a refund? What good is the phone if it doesn’t work?

3 Likes

@mmallen37 Please contact our customer service regarding this. Like I mentioned in a previous post, we are very reasonable when it comes to refunds & returns.

3 Likes

@urszula: Given that the Mudita Pure, like the Sunbeam Wireless F1, does NOT handle 5G, I thought that you would like to see this from the FAQs page at Sunbeam Wireless:

We’ve had some user’s [sic] report that a carrier sent them a SIM card and they installed it without thinking much about it, only to find that it didn’t work. After investigation, it was a 5G SIM card. After the same carrier sent them a 4G SIM card, it worked just fine. So if you have similar symptoms, verify that you have a 4G SIM card.

3 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Thank you for sharing this tip. This may help a lot of people. I will make a main post about this.

4 Likes