Does the Mudita Pure work on the Shaw network in Canada

Im able to text, but unable to make calls…

1 Like

Call your carrier, you may need to do further integration and ask support for the compatibility. The reality is that while the Mudita Pure is unlocked and should work with all GSM based carriers, sometimes carriers have certain compatibility needs and may need to configure your device for their network via their support tickets :slight_smile:

Appreciated, thanks Jose. will do.

1 Like

Hope you enjoy the device in Canada. I am eagerly waiting for mine to show up so I can do reviews and showcase it to the community. But alas, I have to wait lol. Please let us know what you find out though :smiley:

It is based on Quectel chipset and the latest Quectel chipsets support a wide range of LTE bands so there is a good chance it will support all carriers in Canada incl Shaw/Freedom Mobile. However, the issue may lie in the regulatory domain. I have not been able to find a confirmation of required certifications in the Canadian Radio Equipment List.
I would like to be proven wrong by the official Mudita representative posting the Canadian certification label(s) here.
Thanks

1 Like

@pseudonymed As far as we know, Shaw provides mobile services through its subsidiary Freedom Mobile, under both the Freedom and Shaw Mobile brands. I can confirm that Mudita Pure will work on Freedom Mobile. It will also work on Rogers Wireless, Telus, Bell Wireless. Hopefully this helps.

So far I’ve only been able to send a few random texts and no calls… working on. Will update.

1 Like

Thanks Urszula,
It is not clear whether or not Mudita pure is legal to operate in Canada… In other words has it passed the necessary certifications?
Thanks

2 Likes

@customer As far as I know, Mudita Pure has both FCC & Industry Canada (IC) certifications so I don’t see an issue with being able to operate. However, I will check if there are any special settings involved which would impact receiving calls.

still unable to text/call on the nationwide Shaw freedom network here in Canada. Called in to Shaw and tried to do a walk through, unable to select network. Phone suggests I update firmware, for MacOS, is there an easy way to do this?

Working! updated SIM with a reset.

1 Like

and then it stopped working, again. arg.

1 Like

@pseudonymed I’m so sorry that you’re experiencing issues. Perhaps @Bartosz_sp2fet can shed some light on this- Is this a MuditaOS software issue or a network issue.

as the certification has passed in Canada, I’d move torwards the carrier issue rather than the device fault. But let’s see what info will we get from the rest of our team.

1 Like

Off the top, love the concept, appreciate it’s still in beta (essentially), will keep working at it.
So far, it’s been hit and miss; including, set the alarm, device froze, alarm went off, no way to turn it off, ended up wrapping it in a towel to dampen noise and waited until the battery died…
and, sometimes it shows full bars, phone works, etc. and other times, in the same location, for no apparent reason, no bars, no phone, no texts…
Couldn’t see using it, in it’s current state, as a day to day phone, simply too unreliable. Will stick around though, again, love the concept, and expect we’ll see firmware updates, and so far the support has been good, thanks.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that :frowning: Could you please try to write those problems down on our GitHub issues page? It will make us easier to track and fix it.
Here’s the link:

2 Likes

Have to disagree here. If your advertising says the phone is GSM worldwide how is it the carriers fault? If you are saying the phone is GSM unlocked in all of your communication advertising then it should work when we put our sim cards in it. I am a patient person so I am confident my phone will end up working. But I can tell you for people that are not patient I could see them being frustrated by finally getting the phone and then not being able to make a basic call out of the box. The company has not taken enough responsibility in this area of saying hey we screwed up. When you make a mistake…own up to it.

2 Likes

@cardio79 I understand where you’re coming from. However, it actually a bit more complicated than just saying that we failed in some way. The Ultra-low SAR antenna does have something to do with it, but mainly the problems are in the US, where the carriers basically control the cell phone market. @Jose_Briones & I wrote about this

I don’t know if it’s like this in Canada, but the US cell phone market is hell for a small startup like Mudita.

1 Like

I hope its not like this in Canada…I will find out today when I pop in a new sim…if it does not work then I have to switch providers an get a new sim card…hopefully does not come to this because I really don’t want to return the phone. It is the best dumbphone/minimalist device I have used (barring the phone calls lol) Fingers crossed

1 Like

@cardio79 One user, how bought Mudita Pure had some issues with network service & it would only work in a few places around his property & in his office because he was by a cell tower. He actually said that HE LOVED that because he knew where it worked & where it didn’t, and he HATED being on the phone & being constantly interrupted by calls. He got texts without a problem, so he always knew when someone was trying to get a hold of him if they texted him first. He usually wrote back that he’s “out of range” and would call back later. He even set the “I’m out of network range” as one of his templates for sending texts.