With new technology, come new opportunities to profit from user data

Oops!

8 Likes

@roberto Iā€™m not surprised that they are having technical issues.
Personally, I donā€™t think it was ready for release when they launched it. Itā€™s a BETA version. (Kinda like Pure was over a year ago LOL )

Just like Pure wasnā€™t ready for primetime in NOV 2021, neither is ChatGPT. It fails at basic math, canā€™t seem to answer simple logic questions, and will even go as far as to argue completely incorrect facts.
The people behind OpenAI know this & I watched an interview with the CTO & CEO of OpenAI & they admitted that the chatbot can give ā€œplausible-sounding but incorrect or nonsensical answers.ā€

9 Likes

It was this part of the text I was referring to:

• Open a subscription confirmation email sent on Monday, March 20, between 1 a.m. and 10 a.m. Pacific time. Due to the bug, some subscription confirmation emails generated during that window were sent to the wrong users. These emails contained the last four digits of another userā€™s credit card number, but full credit card numbers did not appear. Itā€™s possible that a small number of subscription confirmation emails might have been incorrectly addressed prior to March 20, although we have not confirmed any instances of this.

• In ChatGPT, click on ā€œMy account,ā€ then ā€œManage my subscriptionā€ between 1 a.m. and 10 a.m. Pacific time on Monday, March 20. During this window, another active ChatGPT Plus userā€™s first and last name, email address, payment address, the last four digits (only) of a credit card number, and credit card expiration date might have been visible. Itā€™s possible that this also could have occurred prior to March 20, although we have not confirmed any instances of this.

8 Likes
8 Likes

AI research and development should be refocused on making todayā€™s powerful, state-of-the-art systems more accurate, safe, interpretable, transparent, robust, aligned, trustworthy, and loyal.

In parallel, AI developers must work with policymakers to dramatically accelerate development of robust AI governance systems. These should at a minimum include: new and capable regulatory authorities dedicated to AI; oversight and tracking of highly capable AI systems and large pools of computational capability; provenance and watermarking systems to help distinguish real from synthetic and to track model leaks; a robust auditing and certification ecosystem; liability for AI-caused harm; robust public funding for technical AI safety research; and well-resourced institutions for coping with the dramatic economic and political disruptions (especially to democracy) that AI will cause.

Itś probably going to be the same as when new technology was introduced in the past. ( Radio, TV, VHS, Internet, computer games). A lot of noise in the beginning, but in a few years no one cares. Its like boiling a frog.

9 Likes

@John_Andersson This day & age, we have the benefit of hindsight when it comes to immersive technology. Take social media for instance. The creators of Instagram didnā€™t start out with the goal of being the cause of depression, body image concerns, self-esteem issues, social anxiety, and other problems.
When it was originally launched in 2010, it was just a photo sharing social networking app.
But here we are, 13 years later and study after study, and even internal company documents state that itā€™s horrible for our mental health.
Over time, the app capitalized on usersā€™ biological drive for social belonging & acceptance. And itā€™s this exploitation thatā€™s making them the big bucks.

So, yeah, we could say, itā€™s just technology and after awhile we will just get used to it & move on. However, whatā€™s happening with AI at the moment is a lot and all at once.
It has the potential to overwhelm people, before they have a chance to adapt living with it.

8 Likes
8 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd This has always been happening, but I think with the costs of groceries & other necessities rising, itā€™s more relevant than ever. Someone who wouldnā€™t consider signing up for a loyalty card, might now be compelled to do it when eggs cost is $5/dozen.
I miss the days of traditional coupons that you cut out from the paper :slight_smile:

9 Likes

ā€¦and not just for eggs. Krogerā€™s loyalty-card program lets users accumulate, based on spending in a given month, what Kroger calls fuel points. One thousand fuel points translates to a $1.00/gallon discount on gasoline or diesel bought at a Kroger gas station (e.g., behind the Kroger grocery store).

8 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I donā€™t want to get all ā€œconspiracy theoristā€ about certain things, but sometimes I get this feeling that certain societal issues are created intentionally so someone can make money. I recently was watching an interview with a lawmaker (I canā€™t recall who it was) and this person said something along the lines of: ā€œsome problems are worth MORE when they remain unaddressed, rather than fixed.ā€
That sentence has stuck with me ever since.

9 Likes
9 Likes

@roberto Thereā€™s definitely going to be backlash. Itā€™s basically uncharted territory, which has the potential to do harm:

8 Likes

Yes, it was the link I posted above:

8 Likes

Yup! But Iā€™ve noticed that this message is gaining traction, Itā€™s all over the media.

8 Likes

We know the system is outdated, but we can still have an idea of whatā€™s on the horizon:

8 Likes

Iā€™m glad that I got rid of my supermarket rewards cards about ten years ago.

9 Likes
9 Likes

@roberto Iā€™m not surprised, Iā€™m really not. This is why we all need to wear this:

9 Likes

ChatGPT invented a sexual harassment scandal and named a real law prof as the accused.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/04/05/chatgpt-lies/

7 Likes

@roberto I find these situations humerous (in a weird sort of way).
There are so many red flags with this untested technology, but yet we keep trucking forward.

6 Likes