With new technology, come new opportunities to profit from user data

Is this a bit of an over-reach?

@roberto this is what I mean when I say “what’s the worst that could happen.”

8 Likes

I bet there apartments in the future with smart appliance that if you don’t pay your rent they will start turning off the ability to cook, use the dishwasher or wash and dry your clothes. I bet that’s coming.

8 Likes

@ltdan I can see this happening. I really can.
Kinda like this…

9 Likes

My thought are “What could go wrong, really?”

8 Likes

There was an episode of The Simpsons, from the 1990s, where the two hosts of a local radio station were at risk of losing their jobs and being replaced by a machine called the DJ 3000.

9 Likes

@user1 I’m convinced that the writers of “The Simpsons” could see into the future :slight_smile:
This is not the first episode like this. They showed us the first smartwatch in 1995, nearly 20 years before the Apple Watch was released.

7 Likes

ChatGPT May Have Irreversible Consequences for Learning and Decision-Making

A recent survey found that most teachers (51%) are already using ChatGPT in schools and a number of students are using it for assignments.

8 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd We’re in a world of trouble. I can totally see how people will cease thinking for themselves. I’m definitely NOT excited to see how far this could go.

7 Likes

A significant part of the population already does not think by themselves. This “new technology” will ensure the rest follows the same direction.

7 Likes

@roberto In the words of Tristan Harris.:
“We have primordial brains , medieval institutions and godlike technologies.”
AI is getting smarter, while the rest of humanity is falling behind.
That’s a recipe for disaster, if you ask me.

9 Likes

Greater profits from user data can mean more money to businesses and more control of citizenry to governments.

Cuebiq-CDC Order

Fun Fact: https://www.cuebiq.com/ blocks me from visiting it when my VPN is active, which strongly suggests that Cuebiq likes to gather IP-address data about its site visitors!

9 Likes

I totally believe it. I’m sure I’ve mentioned it on the FORUM before, but here, in Poland, the Polish government created an app. If you were required to be on quarantine, then you could download the app & allow it to track your location, so the government could ensure that you’re at home, not violating quarantine. Another option was to get random police visits for the duration of your quarantine.

7 Likes

@urszula: Here’s a slide from an article about a U.S. company that wants governments to use its watch for “pandemic control”:

8 Likes

We investigate the potential implications of Generative Pre-trained Transformer (GPT) models and related technologies on the U.S. labor market. Using a new rubric, we assess occupations based on their correspondence with GPT capabilities, incorporating both human expertise and classifications from GPT-4. Our findings indicate that approximately 80% of the U.S. workforce could have at least 10% of their work tasks affected by the introduction of GPTs, while around 19% of workers may see at least 50% of their tasks impacted. The influence spans all wage levels, with higher-income jobs potentially facing greater exposure. Notably, the impact is not limited to industries with higher recent productivity growth. We conclude that Generative Pre-trained Transformers exhibit characteristics of general-purpose technologies (GPTs), suggesting that as these models could have notable economic, social, and policy implications.

8 Likes

The AI field is starting to get crowed :slight_smile:

However, this “Bard” AI doesn’t do coding :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I suggest they change its name to “brat”.

9 Likes

I refuse to use any AI tool that requires me to log into it, as this means that the tool is collecting data on me. Rob Braxman has a good video about AI, machine learning, deep learning, etc.

9 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd VERY GOOD POINT
This is exactly how they learn human language. They’re creating a profile of users, just like every other BIG TECH company.

8 Likes

The Pace in wich things are moving atm is just… crazy

9 Likes

Soon, the websites will have a “no CHATGPT” or “no IA” content seal. Mine will be one of them.

9 Likes