What do you consider essential in a phone with the internet but with minimised distractions and negative aspects related to technology?

For me, the essential apps are Gmail, WhatsApp, Maps and of course calls. If I have to consider the phone as a tool these are the most important, however, sometimes I travel and often I need to book tickets at the last minute or I need to pay with my phone (in Italy we use an app called Satispay).
So the problem is what Wired called ‘this one thing’ problem, there will be always an app that I find extremely relevant and lots of people don’t. For example nobody use text messages in my country and WhatsApp is the only message app used with friends and for work, but in Greece or Scotland, for example, a lot of people barely know that exists.
So mine is just a very theoretical idea, since I do not know anything about production: is it possible to create a nice good smartphone with basic features but the ability to download a very limited number of apps? So the user will decide what they really need (not wasting time on) at the moment and switch app when they have to. It can be a number of 3 fixed apps plus 3 choosable ones. This will make us more conscious and aware about what we should use the phone for… It will be a phone that humans can control but still they want to use. It has to be small, hd screen and have a camera but not a frontal one and not video call.
It is kind of the minimalists approach about clothes and stuff in your house: pack everything and open the boxes only when you need something, you will realise that you are going to open very few boxes.
Otherwise, I think people will get very excited about something (including me) but in the long run not many will buy it, if they can’t use it.

3 Likes

Maps with navigation capability for sure! I’ve tried to ditch my iPhone before by switching to an old Nokia but it was impractical to not have a map and navigational app. That is the only thing that brought me back to iPhone.

2 Likes

Everything about your current design is amazing. The only features I’d add or ensure are VoLTE, VoWIFI, or other HQ voice. The ability to have a clear, connected, and effective conversation that isn’t marked by rough audio should be an option when it’s available in the area. Even with full bars, sometimes a conversation over GSM can feel laggy, robotic, or digitized.

1 Like

Being aware the Mudita Pure wont have a few of these, here is my input for the next series deice:

INTERNET ESSENTIALS:
Simple easy read browser - mono chrome option with large letters
Digital book reading - take advantage of the simple E Ink display that doesn’t hurt the eyes
Basic GPS - unless individuals purchase dedication GPS device for car
Music streaming - spotify… etc
Text, call, email - For work and basic communication. Getting the daily use for a broader market
Digital qwerty keyboard - T9 texting wont be appealing unless you REALLY are looking to escape.
Simple Calendar - for those on the go alerts yet not complex like current smart phone calendars
E ink color display (for those trying to transition out of main stream socially demanding devices) *It may not be readily available yet, but I’m aware it is geared towards digital signage for now.

I believe these would be essential for the growing community to transition into a more minimalist lifestyle.

POSSIBLE NEW MINIMALIST SERVICES FOR THE GROWING COMMUNITY
Internet limiter/timer alert to assist with minimal usage
Screen time counter
Software geared towards enhancing mindfulness
Air quality alert and/or high EMF alert ( you would need a sensor)

QUESTION: Have you considered a connected wearable such as a watch with a black and white display? I see it being minimalist concept due to not having access to a large display to scroll through social media. It could be a mindful smart band.

2 Likes

Having a Digital qwerty keyboard.

2 Likes

Spotify access would be great.

3 Likes

It’s hard to say, because I don’t consider internet to be essential to a phone. My ideal phone is small enough to stuff in my pocket if needed, reasonably durable, not a touch screen, not too bright, and has a simple voice call and text message interface. I hope Mudita can make it a reality!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, my essentials are:

1. Google Maps
I’m note a Google fan but I choose google maps cause it really do a great job giving you indications and fundamentals info like stores opening hours. This prevent you to use a browser (Not A Fundamental) to search this infos.

2. Voice recorder
I use it a lot to take note of different kind of things and ideas. I’m also a musician and I use it also for that when the inspiration comes.

3. Todo list/Note
I’m not the kind of person who walks around with an agenda so it’s really important to have it all the time with me in my phone, cause so when I need it I have it

4. Whatsapp
Like in the first point I’m not a fan of Whatsapp. I just want indicate an instant messaging service (Telegram, Signal, etc…) as well as text messages (also useful but not when you talk with someone out of your country) … and the sms here in Italy are not totally free

5. Music
I write Music and note Spotify or Deezer or Tidal cause all this streaming services overload the ears. I discover that listen less music, choosing carefully what to listen and not following the waves, the charts and the top of this or that made me appreciate more what I’m listening and the time I spent to do it. I mean, this is only my personal opinion :slight_smile:

6. Free2Move
Ok, maybe now I’m too specific but this app is my Holy Grail. It’s a car sharing aggregator and it’s fundamental in every city to move totally free, riding I bike or a car or a scooter or a electric scooter…
(I read you don’t want implement Uber so I know I have no chance with this, but I had to try!)

And last but note least…

7. Size (small)
My pockets can’t take it anymore.

Thank you

3 Likes

minimal: calls, sms, play music offline (good old mp3 player)

• gallery of photos files (jpeg) so we can upload a map and see a map like a papermap, old days.
    no wifi / no GPS - perhaps an app to give an approx estimate based on the telecom antenna ? (triangulation)
    all files uploaded via USB C
    bluetooth to control the trigge rof a photo camera (like those tiny remote, with 4 directions, ok, menu…)
    updates via USB-C (or microSD if miscroSD)

Small and long battery = great / go for a run / a few days of detox but being able to call or get important call
alarm / timer / chrono / notes (pin-code protected) / calendar
PDF reader
Torch: white screen, blinking for safety warning
3-5megapix camera, we review later on laptop. (Yes full HD is 2 megapix so always great if a camera is there to get a special moment / or moment to take the photo of an accident to prove something)
file manager
stats like total hours of calling, sms, per month

waterproof? Or nearly ? // or microSDcard ?
some rubber if it falls
nearly unbreakable screen
few few animated gifs for concerts: a heart, a candle :slight_smile: (or giant emoticon to communicate from far)
MORSE app ? blinking to communicate

3 Likes

Maps with some sort of point to point navigation ( need all: driving, walking, public transport).

Other commonly used messaging apps to communicate with friends who don’t use sms (or to continue a conversation already happening in another channel) - e.g. messenger, whatsapp

2 Likes

In essence, I would add to this phone anything you can do seamlessly with an e-ink screen: no videos but photos, no facebook but whatsapp. No games but ebooks, no youtube but spotify, etc. With an eink you will still feel it as natural as a notepad. A smart A7 notepad!

With the addition of a “no disturb” mode that would hide access to any distracting tool (customised by the user) you could have the perfect compromise IMO between functionality and distraction free phone.

As an office worker, there are some tools I cannot renounce such as the VIP access tool (security code to access my company’s intranet) or email. Having the chance of a “basic mode” with these features and an “essential mode” with next to nothing, I would believe that I could use this dumbsmart phone as my primary device.

And yeah, tethering is a must so you can connect other “distracting” devices if you wish. In the end, this is all about freedom, not restriction. Free to decide to be self conscious or free to be part of the social whirlwind.

3 Likes

I had one last quick question,
Following the light phone 2, i’ve noticed that the screen does a lot of flashing and has a lot of lag, a lot in part due to the e-ink technology and having to erase images to avoid ghosting.
is mudita pure going to have to flash like that all the time too and have delay when waking up/texting/etc. is there a way around this while still using e-ink?
thanks!

1 Like

I agree! Arrow based navigation and (maybe) Apple Music/Spotify support for playlists?

1 Like
  • WhatsApp (no camera on the phone, use whatsapp only for text/calls)
  • Email access
1 Like

I would 100% buy this phone if it had the following features:

• Spotify
  • Email
  • Whatsapp
  • Maps
  • Bluetooth

I don’t really want a camera as that is the distracting cluttering bit.
I don’t want a headphone jack as everything is bluetooth and it would add to the minimal design.
I do want Whatsapp as I use it more than sms.
I check emails regularly.
Maps is important especially living in a big city (also google maps is the best one for my city in regards to public transportation).

Other than that I don’t need any external apps. This would be a perfect phone for going on holiday with or taking a weekend detox from media, but useful enough to have as a minimal tool for contact and navigation and small bit of entertainment (with “spotify”).

2 Likes

Arrow style navigation would be an excellent choice. However, I wouldn’t add access to other online apps, such as Spotify or Deezer. You start installing a streaming app, and a few days later WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and other Social Media apps are already populating your phone.

From my perspective, a few decent essential apps are enough, maybe a Music player, email client, and a basic web browser - to check the opening hours of your favorite places - and things like that.

2 Likes

Just few features:

• Bluetooth
  • music player or, better, streaming services (Google play music, deezer, Spotify, …)
  • maps in an essential way (only streets indications, audio indications, no images, …)
  • whatsapp (could be just for texting, no image or videos allowed, you can access it on Web whatsapp)
  • a camera (could be useful for scan qrcode as you know like web whatsapp qrcode… :blush: )
  • essential Browser (similar to kindle’s browser)
  • hotspot and tethering (when you are on the go it’s good an essential phone, when you’re standing could be useful share internet connection with yours other devices, such as tablet or e-reader)
1 Like

That’s the description of a ‘proper’ smartphone. There are already E-Ink smartphones in the market. You can always buy one of these phones and install only the apps that you need.

I think that the bast majority here are looking for a device with less distractive features.

1 Like

Just talk and text, with a full keyboard. NOTHING made by Google, Facebook, Twitter or any other global corporations where we are the product. Nothing that mines data. Nothing that connects to the internet. Talk and text. Time is useful. If maps, offline only. NO GPS. NO TRACKING.

3 Likes

Maps with basic navigation.
traffic and travel time are not essential but giving up maps would be the biggest barrier to me making the swap.

1 Like