What do you consider essential in a phone with the internet but with minimised distractions and negative aspects related to technology?

Navigation is the one thing that keeps me from ditching my smartphone and going back to a “dumb phone”. A good gps as well as a tethering functionality and threaded textmessages would mean an instant buy for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s seems to be the hottest answer, but I’ll reiterate it as well. GPS Navigation. It’s not a distraction function, but a useful one that many feel tied to. Hopefully there’s a good maps platform that doesn’t share info with google or other large data giants. It would be nice if the phone uses data only during the search function, but once one hits “GO”. it only relies on the GPS to reduce radiation.
For other features, we can do without on social media, store apps, bank apps, email, news, it’s all a distraction. It would be hard at first, but becomes natural after a while.
I like music, but the idea of a streaming app is contrary to the idea of less, so hopefully there’s a music provider that allows downloading for offline access. I’m just old fashion and would use MP3 instead of an online option.
I think bluetooth bleeds into a gray area. It has it’s conveniences, but adds radiation (especially with wireless headphones…) It’s not a deal breaker if it’s a feature, however, I would turn it off.
Calendars is another gray area. By trying to disconnect, I think it would be better as a standalone than as a synced option with email or outlook. I like remembering dates, but the ability to setup a work meeting is too far.

Thanks for hearing me out!

1 Like

As a cyclist navigation is really important. I rely on it to get around the city

1 Like

If I could have a phone with just whatsapp and maps I’d be happy. My family lives in a different country.

3 Likes

I also came here to say internet based messaging/communication in order to contact family and friends as I live overseas, standard carrier txting and calling is simply too expensive across the globe! I also have colleagues in Switzerland, while I work in Europe - again, crazy prices for standard calling. Signal would be my preference.
And some kind of basic navigation - equivalent to what is on cycle computers would do!

1 Like

No, it doesn’t need apps, it would steal the phone’s objective, it just needs to share internet over wi-fi, if I need maps or other things i just share the internet, we are full of electronic devices everywhere, if you need them; use them (gps in the car, mail on laptop, uber on your friend’s cell phone …)

1 Like

Thanks so much for developing a conscious way to use smart(ish) phones! I could happily function with only low SAR, 5G INcompatibility, a long-lasting battery, clear phone calls, texting, navigation, and the most basic internet for looking things up.
Wherever possible, I hope you can use or be compatible with open source and/or private, secure and encrypted apps like TOR browser, Duck-Duck-Go search, WIRE video conferencing and Signal messaging. All of these work internationally.
I am currently somewhat dependent on Google Maps on the road and I hope there is a less intrusive alternative. Though Google / Android / Amazon have a huge share of the market and offer lots of highly polished bells and whistles, they also sell people’s private information to the highest bidder. At a minimum I hope my privacy can be protected to the greatest extent that is reasonable on your end.
A music player for offline listening to my own MP3s and a decent (but not lavish) camera would be nice options if they don’t increase the SAR or cost too much.
Thanks again!

1 Like

I am a Tidal user and like the music it offers. But it won’t let users to listen to the music offline on other devices. To fix this issue, I got a tool named DRmare Tidal Music Converter for Windows. It can easily download music from Tidal and allows us to use the music on the go on other devices offline.

1 Like

Here is my list:

Must-have

• Text & Call, including the ability to merge calls;
  • Time & Calendar, including calendar reminders;
  • Maps & GPS/direction;
  • Alarm & timer, including interval timer;
  • Hotspot/tethering

Would-like-to-have

• Podcasts / music static player (playlists could be arranged from the computer), including bluetooth/jack;
  • Payment app (e.g. for bills using QR codes)
  • Access to public transportation timetables (e.g. SBB mobile)
  • Dictionaries
2 Likes

I will buy Mudita Pure if it has a WIFI hotspot. This is a must for me. For most of the time I can live without the internet services. But the moments come, when I have to browse the net or type much. Then I would like to use a smartfon or a tablet, link it to Mudita thru WIFI and use its internet modem. Of course my smartfon or tablet can have its own SIM card, but this I would like to avoid. I would like to subscribe to one SIM card, and I would like it to be put to Mudita.

1 Like

I need few things from a phone:

• Calling
  • Texting
  • Alarm
  • Calculator
  • A quality T9 replacement

Some things that would be nice to have:

• Emoji
  • Notes
  • Group text
  • Emergency directions via SMS (this would undoubtedly need to be the job of another entity, or at the very least a different project for Mudita)

As someone else said upthread, if I need anything else, all I have to do is ask one of the thousands of people around me with a smartphone, or wait until I get home.

3 Likes

I would love maps but I don’t want it to be google maps. Google invades everything. They invaded KaiOS with their maps and youtube. Google should stay out of Mudita products at all cost.

6 Likes

^^^ THIS. I just use $40 mp3 player for my music. I don’t understand why everybody is so obsessed with spotify.

5 Likes

Oh did they ever invade! Quite the return on investment I would say. Their apps are on the phone and the logos on the box too. That certainly helps move units. I had a KaiOS phone for a while and removed the Google stuff. Don’t need maps. Don’t need Spotify. I just need something that does what it says on the box and does it good. KaiOS was (and probably still is) a sloppy cash-in on the next billion phone users in India and Africa and it is only making rich people richer (cough cough Reliance/Jio cough Mukesh Ambani).

1 Like

Spotify is also a terrible, exploitative platform for musicians. Support artists directly!

2 Likes

Dear Joel,

What is a dap?

cheers, Susan

DAP stands for Digital Audio Player. MP3 players are most common, but high end models can play lossless file formats such as FLAC as well as stream music from services like Tidal and Spotify.

2 Likes

Soundcloud is good

Not requesting this feature for the Pure since I know thats already decided, but in a hypothetical alternative I would like to see either FM or DAB+ radio. Instead of using the internet for news there would at least be the option of local, relevant radio for stuff like weather, warnings, traffic etc without getting into the rabbit hole of irrelevant news from around the world (that usually only serves to depress, even if it is actually significant events).

2 Likes

I like your ideas. :slight_smile: