What do you consider essential in a phone with the internet but with minimised distractions and negative aspects related to technology?

Hello! I’ve been off smartphones for 2 years and have been using the Nokia 3310 its good but still missing a few key things.

1. Good bluetooth connection for handsfree calling while driving.
  2. LTE/4G connection for clearer voice call quality.
  3. Ability to receive group text messages.

For everything else I can just ask some one with a smartphone…which is literally everyone.

2 Likes

I consider essential: Mail/ SMS/ Maps /Photographie/ Simple Textstyle Browser

2 Likes

Hey @sourhippo, that’s great that you managed to switch from your smartphone to a classic phone. Mudita Pure should have Bluetooth 4.2 and an LTE connection. It won’t have group messaging capabilities.

2 Likes

Thanks @Alexander_Dobrzinski, Mudita Pure will have SMS but no browser, maps, camera or email.
It is a distraction free phone.

1 Like

I can live without group texts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to see a system which regroups all my communications (messenger, SMS, email, Instagram etc. ) in order to just view messages without actually opening (or even downloading) any of these apps. (An example of software that does this is FRANZ ). This combined with maps, phone calls and calendar would be essential and all I would need. (reading books and news and listening to music could also be a plus but not a deal breaker)

2 Likes

This is also important to me! Probably the only essential internet-related thing I would want.

1 Like

Uber or Lyft

I would love to echo the comments around how much I rely on my smartphone for transportation. Whether it’s maps, ordering a Lyft/Uber or even getting through an airport, these are tools I need to get through my day-to-day and in no way feel like they present distraction or would keep me from feeling a healthy digital disconnection.

Additionally, being able to access google calendars and email would awesome and if they were also included I could likely completely abandon my smartphone—something I am very interested in.

I would not expect these to be Pure features, but maybe for a product that sits between Pure and current smartphones.

Thanks for all you’re doing, I’m really excited to be part of this journey!

1 Like

I agree! I am terrible at directions and I rely on my google maps app. The things I see as essential to be part of my phone are life-navigation and communication. This would include Google Maps or reliable GPS (simplified would work fine as long as it is accurate and smooth), email/gmail, calendar, address book, calling and texting. It would be useful to also have a calculator and timers/alerts/stopwatch, and walking/running tracker, but I don’t see the last one there as essential. Cameras are a distraction (although perhaps a black and white camera would get artistically old pretty quickly and be more useful for remembering or saving things on the fly?), other apps are mostly a distraction. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Syncing contacts with google or a CSV format through PC is a necessary feature.

2 Likes

it is around two years i aḿ discussing with friends, during our beers drinking times, about developing a simple phone. Our idea is very very similar to mudita and i am happy to tell you what we had discussed so far. We had concluded that the easy way is to produce an Android phone enabling only what is necessary to replicate the old nokia models. Why easy? Because we all are convinced that only few people can renunce to use the info thay possess at desktop side. And so, we thoughted that was faster and cheaper at startup reduce Android than develop from zero something compatible.
That to tell you that we think that mudita needs to be able to full sync with the user desktop infos. We think it must offer this features:

• call
  • sms
  • contact
  • calendar
  • caller black list

as i said … everything needs to be easily synced with desktop obviously!

IF it includes a GPS antenna:

• gps coords easily saved with a name and shared through SMS (we dont think map is so important)
  • gps coords saved every x seconds (done path)
  • sos feature (call and send prereg message and gps coords
  • remote info retrieve (send an sms to the phone from an authorized number and get some authorized info like gps coords, path, last number called… building personalized bot can be a great geek funct

Ciao

1 Like

I would suggest to include:

• a easy to use one-system capable of integrating messages received/sent on the most common apps such as what’sapp, telegram, etc. The user should still have the option to turn it off;
  • meditation app/program and meditation music;
  • food/nutrition/health apps that helps control the physical conditions of the users;
  • I would probably not include the gps and I would rather include a system that helps users remain untraceable
1 Like

I want Mudita for everyday, then also for my job. The thing is that I might have 1500 contacts in my contact list (including 1200 patients contacts), synced with my gougle account. Will Mudita be able to get it back? I cant’ wait for that campaign ! :smiley:

1 Like

Unfortunately at the moment a lot of countries legally demand handsfree capability when driving, So the bluetooth connetivity would be great.

It seems that adding NFC, GPS, basic browsing and other smart phonish things, will somewhat move you away from your original goal. What is beautiful about the product is that it is not trying to be all these things and why compete with the giants. Digital burnout is becoming such a huge thing. The things we think we need, do we really need, when we go a little while without, we often realise we didn’t need at all, or maybe the opposite, maybe we needed it a little too much. Sometimes it’s nice not to be available or always on.

I like the idea of no group messaging, I think the personal touch of direct messaging has been a little lost, and so much gets lost in translation with groups. We miss out on the connection.

We have tens, or hundreds or thousands of friends sometimes in our groups, but are we getting the most we can from those relationships. I think it is better to have a device that connects us personally with the closest people to us and allows us to remove constant distraction during the times we share with them “in person”. More present, more sharing.

Have you ever met a friend after time apart and either of you got pulled away or distracted by something on your smart phone.

Anyways sorry for the lose tongue…

2 Likes

I was all set to purchase Mudita Pure as soon as it’s available until I realized I won’t be able to listen to audio books anymore— which I need to get me through long commutes and long runs! That’s one thing I’d love to see available at some point. And as some have said before everyone’s must have list is different - wouldn’t it be amazing if someone could make a modular sort of phone where you pick the five things you need and I pick the five things I need?!

2 Likes

Maps would be essential.

And I personally would only buy the product if it has acces to a music streaming service like spotify for example.

Whatsapp would also be of great value to me.

As others suggested, you might want to make 2 versions of the phone. One with only essential features and one with a bit more stuff.

Kind Regards,

Valentino Peppelman

2 Likes

For me, music, nav, hotspot, google contact sync and chinese input method.

2 Likes

Hi @Junyan_Pan, Mudita Pure won’t have GPS, or maps. It will be possible to tether to a laptop via cable and there will be a music player and calendar. In terms of Chinese input methods, I will pass this feedback on to our team.

1 Like

Hi @Chad, Mudita Pure won’t have maps or a streaming service. It will have a music player.

3 Likes

Hi @Angela_Page, there will be a music player, so if you enjoy listening to audiobooks you can use the desktop app to add them to it.

2 Likes