The art of waking up gracefully in the morning

So, how do you start your day, what does your morning routine look like? What is important to you to get a good start?
Personally, I try to get up a bit earlier than necessary, mostly to get time for a bit of reading and silent contemplation. I also got a alarm clock with bird songs and sounds from nature, dont know if it makes any difference on morning stress, but it is enjoyable. Finally I try to think of someone I can encourage a bit, either by sending a text, making a call or doing something kind. Not always that the opportunity shows up, but atleast Im prepared.

6 Likes

I had a decent routine for awhile of waking up early, listening to music and exercising. Then I found myself stuck in a bad habit of waking up and sitting on the couch and browsing and browsing and browsing…from that experience I gained nothing but a sore neck and back. Reading the news isn’t particularly positive. Watching videos is a waste of time. I am slowly getting back to a healthier routine of just reading. Not the news, but books. I don’t miss the news. It is nice to miss out on things.

5 Likes

@John_Andersson I am a HUGE fan of waking up early. I have a dog, so it’s not much of a choice . I don’t think I’ve slept in much over the last several years :slight_smile: I like to start my day off with a strong cup of coffee & a loooooong walk with my dog. We walked 5km this morning. I’ve gotten so used to our morning walks, that I just feel off when I miss one due to being out of town or on vacation. Whether it’s 30C or -30C I go outside first thing in the morning & greet the day.

4 Likes

ohh how I want to get back to a better routine, one where I actually enjoy my mornings. It’s getting really cold where I live, which makes it even more difficult - @urszula how do you maintain that habit in the colder months?

@Bobby_Hiltz I can completely relate! My tech life balance is off the last few months, okay the last year. I feel like I waste sooo much time lately in front of a screen and not actually accomplishing anything. I know it’s about setting up (again) good habits, routines and boundaries; hoping the Pure can eliminate some of the unconscious bad habits I have that are stealing my time.

I guess the first step would be to decide what I want to accomplish in my mornings. :thought_balloon: Then to figure out how to remove obstacles that would potentially get in the way. #mindfulness

3 Likes

@mindful321 I’m originally from Chicago, so the Polish winters aren’t that much different. Of course it’s much easier to wake up early when the sun in shining brightly, but I have ways I manage in the dark winter months.
A consistent sleep schedule is KEY. I go to sleep roughly around the same time every night & wake up at the same time, even on the weekends. I have an offline, bedtime routine that’s lets my brain know I’m getting ready for bed. I fall asleep rather quickly- probably 10 mins after I get into bed.
Waking up in the morning is not that hard when you’re properly rested. I usually wake up between 6-6:30AM. I have a Daylight lamp that I turn on. I do some stretches to get my blood going & then I go into the kitchen & make some coffee. I’m out the door around 7AM. I take my dog for a LOOOONG walk (anywhere from 45-60min). Being outside first thing in the morning really helps. I practice walking meditation while my dog does his morning routine. I find that when I miss a walk (like when I’m on vacation or if my partner takes him out) I don’t have the same energy as I normally would.

3 Likes

Hal Elrod : The Miracle Morning

2 Likes

@urszula Thank you for sharing. I am going to implement some of your strategies in my new routine.

2 Likes

@John_Andersson I recently wrote a blog about the importance of staying offline when you first wake up.

2 Likes

Good post!
Neuroscientist Andrew Huberman has a YT video where he describes his morning routine and gives physical/neurological/scientific explanations why it follows a specific order. Very interesting.

4 Likes

@John_Andersson Thanks for this. I will definitely check it out. Staying offline in the morning has definitely improved my well-being. I watched one of his videos on “sunlight viewing” and I started doing that in the morning.
Originally, I used to see this person, almost every day, while I was walking my dog by the river. This person would stand there, facing the sun, almost as if they were absorbing the sunlight. The sight was quite unusual.
I started looking into it & I found Andrew Huberman’s video. It does make a lot of sense.

1 Like

@John_Andersson This video really got mi thinking:

1 Like