Pure in Canada - can't get it to work properly

Congratulations :slight_smile:

1 Like

@cjc26 This is AWESOME!!!
Thanks for sharing.
@cardio79 I think you used Freedom Mobile as well?

@cardio79 Yes indeed. Freedom Mobile. Been working great so far, tested texting and calling which is the plan I got… I ended up upgrading once confirming the phone worked in house and around town. I upgraded to 99 bucks unlimited calling and texting as the freedom network I’ll be using the phone under is well covered off. Already yesterday while out driving got a text and call forwarded from my other device. Took that call with no issues using the supplied headset. Loaded music on it and had a nice hike when I got to my destination. Very Very liberating not having a device with distractions and a million alerts!!!

3 Likes

Sorry I have to add… The feel of the device out in the wild and sunlight is just spot on perfect. The click of the buttons and how simple it is. Just wonderful.
The phone connected to my surface and I have been texting via the APP… THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!

4 Likes

Original poster here; some comments on earlier postings:
a) Yes I updated to latest OS; no change
b) I ordered LuckyMobile SIM and tried it: same result as other SIMS. So: likely manufacturing fault (or SAR-related design problem).
c) I also own both a Light Phone and Punkt. Both have full bars here with the tested SIMS, further validating that the problem is Pure hardware related. I put in a warranty (return) support ticket and Mudita Support have already sent me the Fedex return labels. Great service. I hope for a functioning replacement because I like the Mudita Pure concept.

1 Like

@cjc26 We’re so glad that you’re enjoying your phone. Thank you for making us part of your journey.

1 Like

Odd that was not my experience at all lol. Great that it working for you…not sure what happened with me but it was not a great experience…are you in ontario?

1 Like

I am hesitant to get it again because like I said I had a horrible inconsistent experience plus my light phone gets here today. It has a new voice to text note taking feature that I really wanted for a long time to keep track of events etc so I am going to stick with the light phone. You can also voice to text with text messages. After using t9 texting again with my nokia phone I can honestly say i am sick and tired of it but with the mudita because it has that texting you have the tendency to use it less. Unfortunate the experience I had because like I don’t want to know if I want to go through this process again. It is possible I did not give the phone enough of a testing time after the update.

1 Like

@cardio79 That is frustrating for sure. Yes, Ontario. I first reached out to Freedom and verified with the Pure’s IMEI number if it would work within the freedom coverage map. They confirmed back that yes, it was compatible. At that point, I waited a few days and a sim was sent to me. I called them and applied a pay as you go amount to the sim and had a number registered. Did my testing and was like a kid in a candy store when it worked, as I was not successful for whatever reason with TELUS… Mind you, Freedom utilizing more of the older GSM bands. Perhaps this is why.

WOw honestly I am stunned. I did the exact thing. So you can confirm the phone never disconnects for a period time with low bars etc?

1 Like

Why would it work so well for you and not me? I am really confused. I can sell the light phone really easily. I am so tempted to give it another shot and order the phone. If it is working for you it should work for me

1 Like

Only in my basement in one area does all bars vanish and show an X… However, did the same test with an iPhone 12 PRO, on TELUS and in that same spot, I only receive 1 bar of service. So I suspect, because the Pure is choosing a lower band to reduce SAR value’s this is why… However, anywhere else in the basement, 2 to 3 bars and outside almost full bars.

1 Like

WOw…do you think I should give it another try? I LOVE THIS PHONE

1 Like

I seriously want to give another try. I have the light phone so if for any reason it did not work I would have that phone. If I order one I would like a new one. Not the one I sent back just because it did not work on that phone. I LOVE THIS phone and your company. I ordered the bell as your know and I honestly want this phone lol. Do you guys still have stock of only the black? or is the white available too?

2 Likes

ANy thoughts on why I had a different experience…possible I did not give the new update enough time to kick in??

1 Like

Not sure, but keep in mind freedom mobile network is not the widest of coverage areas, Because I only plan to use the phone in my home city or up the 401 to other major cites only than it will have no issues. Otherwise you are switched to a partner network of theirs. You want to check the coverage maps for “Freedom” coverage as they will have overlays of their partner networks. That said, not the wideset of coverage areas, but seems to be most compatible with this phone. Most cellular companies work with carriers directly, its possible the Pure is still working on establishing good testing with these networks in Canada, and thus the modem updates (That’s what would be required to provide more stability to the hardware inside controlling antennas connection to cellular) has not yet been dialed in. As time goes on, perhaps this will happen, but I’m sure only if adoption rate is higher.

1 Like

SO based on all that do you think it would work over here? I live in Ajax ontario…I am just afraid of the same frustrating experience…

1 Like

I would recommend you wait. I’ll test for you in a few weeks and report back. This way you can avoid that experience :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@cjc26 Your case & @cardio79’s case is quite interesting to our devs.
They would love to compare the logs from the two cases.
Can you please send logs to the Mudita team via Mudita Center:

1 Like

Here is another thing I just remember. Cjc26 lives in London ontario which is about 50 mins from grand bend where I was with my family for the weekend the day after I got my phone…the phone was not reliable for me at all that weekend…how could that been if I was in the same region as him literally not far away? Mind you this was before the update not sure if that would make a difference though

1 Like