Pure in Canada - can't get it to work properly

I am not gonna go back to freedom though because the reception in my basement is brutal so its a non-starter…my mudita pure journey is done for now anyways…fyi I have had the same frustrating experience trying to get the light phone 2 working here since I got it yesterday…gonna go back to the Punkt…It has been a very frustrating past 3 weeks trying to get phones to work for me

1 Like

I was in Grand bend a few weeks back and i had the same problems, and grand bend is very close to London…

1 Like

@urszula I believe that cardio79 sent his device back already. I’ll do a field test with mine as mentioned above and upload some logs in a few weeks. I’ll record time stamp when I am in and around his area to see if my device performs differently.

1 Like

Yup shipped mine out a week ago…but as I mentioned I was in your neck of the woods like 2-3 weeks ago in Grand bend…and at times the phone worked but at other times i cut out for a long period of time…at one point I needed to call my wife and kids and I could not…so its interesting that you are having such a different experience from me on the same provider in now as we know the same area…london and grand bend are close to each other

I’ll go for a nice Ride on my bike to Grand Bend and see how it handles itself there. Keep in mind London is on the freedom network while Grand Bend uses partner networks :slight_smile:

1 Like

UhOh!!! @cardio79 I factory reset the pure to try and replicate the issues you were having. Upon sitting in the same place I have always got 2 to 3 bars of service. The device powered down. I press power after 2 minutes and it started up fine with language selection screen. It than asked to accept license followed by choose a SIM. I choose SIM#1 and presto same reception bars a few seconds later for about 2 minutes. After which now ZERO BARS of service. So I can say this could be a software issue and not that of hardware as it received them prior to the master reset and after the reset but something has happened and now no service at all. @urszula FYI.

1 Like

I’m baffled here, the signal came back after rebooting the phone after 15 minutes of no signal same spot!!! and has been holding with signal bars for several minutes so far after the reboot.

UPDATE - If I touch the phone now at all the signal bars disappear to zero, than eventually reads as no service with an X.

1 Like

I have also experienced something similar. No signal, even rebooting and removing the battery didn’t help. Then after about 15 minutes there was reception again. But only 1-2 bars where I usually have 3-4 bars.
That was this Tuesday. I suspected that it was due to the “low” battery level of 2 bars, because I always have problems with reception then. When I fully charge the battery, everything is OK again.

1 Like

This is the frustration I went through…sorry this has happened to you after it was working so well. I am being send a new light phone since it looks as if I was sent a faulty unit. Hopefully this new unit works because I am getting a brand new unit for 300 canadian which is 200 hundred dollars off. I switched again now from public mobile to virgin mobile lol…someone on reddit said they were using the light phone in ontario on the virgin network but when I tried the phone kept freezing and resetting in an endless loops. Same thing happened with fido. So conclusion was its a hardware issue. Really hope it works in the new unit cause then I am done. Thats my device cause I have went through hell and back to try to get the mudita and the lp2 to work for me. I had to pay a 50 dollar activation fee for the virgin mobile sim but I did so because a person said it worked for them. Anyhow will see what happens, if for any reason the lp2 does not work again I will send it back and buy the punkt and then I’M DONE lol

2 Likes

Man so sorry that happens to you.
I hear you. It is seeming impossible to disconnect these days. Even carriers and infrastructure forcing you to remain bleeding edge. Sadness I tell you.

1 Like

@cjc26 Can you also send me the serial number of your phone- We want to make sure we have all the logs from YOUR phone in one place, so we can compare them.

@urszula It’s S/N: 26876140120852

It feels like when I reboot now I get signal for a minute, than it switches to 3G or something and get no bars, than eventually an X when trying to place call says “No Network Connection” message. But in that one minute 3 to 4 bars of signal and can make / receive calls and texts.

2 Likes

@cjc26 Sometimes it does take awhile to register on a network. But I will definitely pass this on.

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me. Sorry to say I don’t think there is going to be a fix to this.

1 Like

If I had to guess, it seems like the modem is switching me away from where the phone gets the best signal to the carrier to reduce SAR exposure. To 3G… It is possible that in this area 3G is not that strong and thus the modem by doing this is rendering the phone unusable. After a reboot it first registers me on LTE which has more than enough decent bars to maintain a healthy connection. So thus, by the phone now switching the way it is, the phone is no longer able to maintain a signal… Some logic could be introduced that if signal is absent or less than 1 bar, bump up to the next avail and repeat etc. This does not appear to be the case.

3 Likes

Vancouver, Rogers
Reception goes from 0-3 but sometimes even when it’s showing no bars, I can call out. Unfortunately, like my old Samsung 0.14 SAR phone, I cannot get any reception near some buildings. I couldn’t use the buzzer at one apartment and even crossing the street and walking down 2 blocks away from buildings, my phone didn’t have reception. I had to go into a store to borrow their phone. I had no reception for the whole day and even at home which was strange so I turned it on and off and reception came back. I’m still holding onto the phone because I start work next week and this phone is used mainly for work calls. I’ll see how that goes. If it’s a hardware issue with the reception, than it can’t be improved, right?

1 Like

I got my light phone 2, 10 mins ago. Popped the sim in made a few calls, phone works properly. I have found my phone. I went through a lot of frustrations using the Mudita…I would have kept it if it had works but the customer experience is everything, and whenever I bought the Lp2 or the punkt the experience out of the box is top notch. I am using Virgin mobile and as I said the phone works flawlessly

3 Likes

Anyone in this thread from Quebec or using the phone in Quebec? Just curious… Looking at options to make this phone work.

1 Like

I managed to stick the phone in a really good cell area, and waiting for the carrier message that your phone has been registered. Which I had the first time around, but never the second time after the factory reset. The signal wouldnt last long enough as it was dropping from LTE down to 3G… Maybe the issue than from 3G to no bars.
In a very good signal area, it held a signal long enough to get the carrier welcome message. Since, I have had 2 bars consistently in the house. It’s not perfect, as the signal does seem weak, but holding non the less where before in the same spots after the reset I would receive no signal. Very strange.

2 Likes

Yeah unfortunately this is how the experience will continue to be. I firmly believe there is no update they can do to fix these issues. Customer experience is huge and for me 2 days on the light phone 2 and I can make and take calls anywhere in my house. The phone never disconnects anywhere. 10/10 experience with the phone plus I do not miss T9 texting. The text to speach is amazing on this phone I never have to type anything out. It has a directions app, notes app. You can’t even technically call the light phone a dumb phone because it has directions app, podcast downloading

2 Likes