Pure in Canada - can't get it to work properly

Tried Koodo (Telus subsidiary) SIM: Today: other users always get ‘line is busy’ when they try to call me. Yesterday: I was able to get a text message. Very low or no signal bars.

Tried (work cell nr) SpeakOut (Rogers network) SIM: very low bars or no signal bars. This is everywhere (inside house, outside house, in big city).

I get the impression that there is something wrong with the reception in the phone, or maybe the phone just doesn’t jive with two of the three major networks here.

2 Likes

I had the same problem. After I switched to the other SIM card slot it got a bit better.
If you not already tried that.

1 Like

Apparently Freedom Mobile is the only one that works right now. But that is probably in certain areas. The reality is that even with Freedom Mobile, you may still experience issues, but Freedom Mobile has been proven to work b y 3-4 people in Canada.

2 Likes

just picked up my pebble grey from fedex and put in my rogers sim card. Was able to make calls but since sliding over to do not disturb and back, it now stuck in “do not disturb” mode. I cannot answer calls.
I also HATE HATE the ring tones. I do not like country music and the rest of the ring tones are cheesy.

1 Like

On freedom it has been decent. Outside in my city the phones solid. Inside the house is where it is spotty as in it takes a good 10 mins for it to settle down find the network and become useable

1 Like

It does work but depends where you are. I took it up north with the family and it was not reliable when i needed it

1 Like

I put the imei number of my device to check if its compatible on the bell network and it confirmed it us but again compatible does not mean the experience will be a good one.

1 Like

Additional test: I tried my wife’s Bell network SIM card and that was not successful. No connection. When she tried to call me (her Bell network cell nr) she was referred to voice mail. My Pure did not recognize the SIM. I tried it in both slots. Also made sure that I placed the SIM correctly - and they were placed correctly.

So all three networks: Bell: no connection at all. Telus (Koodo): spotty - I managed to get one text message. Low to no bars. Rogers: low to no bars. I live in a big city - there’s very good cell phone coverage here by all three networks in Canada. I unfortunately have to conclude that I cannot use the Pure cell phone. It’s likely the phone that is not functioning properly, by design if I interpret other posts on this forum correctly. Sigh…

2 Likes

One thing that has been reported by some users is that when you’re using sim cards from other phones, it best to make sure that they are 5G sim cards. It’s best to get a brand new sim card without 5G capabilities because Mudita Pure doesn’t support 5G

Thanks for telling me Bell does not work…strange cause when I put my imei number into their website it said it works. It does work on Freedom mobile if that helps

1 Like

But when I say it works it is touch and go. Like making a call can be frustrating because you can call out and it takes like 3-4 mins for the phone to start dialing out…other times you can pick it up and call right away

1 Like

I really hope the mudita team can fix this somehow…I think the low SAR was a bad idea. I am not sure if it makes that much of a difference to our health.

1 Like

It doesn’t for most people. There are numerous studies that confirm this. However, there is a subsegment of the population that does benefit from this, and overall it is healthier, but it doesn’t impact significantly IMO.

3 Likes

After trying for a week I conclude that the phone does not work (period). No reception means no calls in or out. What are my options? Should I wait for an OS upgrade. I kind of doubt that an OS upgrade will increase reception. Or should I return the phone?

1 Like

I would say return it. My experience with it was very frustrating. I ordered the light phone 2 and it arrives this week. I had it before and the experience was seamless no issues at all. Or look into the Punkt, both are fantastic alternatives that have a great user experience right out of the box

2 Likes

@muditapetercan The update was released last week, so may want to give it a try. However, if it does not work, I do suggest returning it.

1 Like

I’d thought the light phone wasn’t available in Canada? Or has that changed?

1 Like

According to their website, there is a note indicating it is not compatible with Canada but they are still working on it. As they are a small startup in New York. When you action to try and buy one, it will indicate “Sorry, Light Phone 2 is not yet available in your country” or something similar. You can check it out by doing that.

1 Like

I emailed them and bought a refurbed unit for 300 canadian and they threw in a screen protector for free. I did this last year as well and the phone was in flawless condition like it was brand new. Steal of a deal. Did that again and mine arrives this week. Its confirmed by a person on reddit that is using it on public mobile which I have as well

2 Likes

Good news to report, I received my Freedom SIM today - Put it on a pay as you go plan for testing. I finally have signal and in a basement at that. It shows 3 bars, than no bars if I move away from the window. So tested it outside and can conclude I am receiving a good signal. I’ll attach a screen shot of it while connected to my phone via USB in basement.

3 Likes