If this is not an example of cell phone addiction I don't know what is

Here is a clear indication of how addicted some people have become to their cell phones and the lengths they will go to get them back:

3 Likes

^ You made my day!
:rofl:
What do you bet that it was not a feature-phone?

2 Likes

When smartphones first started to really take off, I remember reading in the news that a teenager had got stuck in a road drain, trying to retrieve her iPhone, and had been hoisted out by the local fire brigade. Her defense of her actions: “Well, nobody told me not to do it!”
At the time it was quite widely ridiculed, that someone would ever value a cell phone so much that they’d do such a thing. I seem to remember her quoted as saying “my entire life is on that phone”, which at the time was ridiculed as a melodramatic, exaggerated, preposterous idea. A lot of people were also bewildered at why someone who was only 16 would have their own phone (or at least a smart one) in the first place! How times change!

2 Likes

It is what these devices do. They get you so addicted to them that you think your life is over if you lose it. Very sad. On a side note if my wife lost me that would not nearly be as scary for her than losing her iphone lol

2 Likes

Well, if you’ve just dropped your $1400 iPhone down the shitter, :poop: going down there to get it might feel like the right thing to do. :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

LOL very true

1 Like

It bewilders me that anyone would carry a small, portable, easy to lose/break/steal device, that is worth what to many people would be a month’s wages. And if they can afford such a thing, it bewilders me even more why they can’t afford to insure it.

I don’t know about the woman who lost her phone in the outhouse, but I found an old article about the girl I mentioned, who lost her phone down the storm-drain. To make her story even more ridiculous, it turns out her phone was insured anyway!

Though it may not be $1400, I plan to attempt to insure the Pure once I place my order. Even a 3-figure price makes my eyes water for a cellphone! I’m not sure how it will work, as I guess an insurance provider needs to know what it is and agree before they can confirm coverage.

1 Like

Haha, I sympathise! My girlfriend isn’t overly happy that we’re not “facebook-official”, almost like you’re not really going out with someone until Facebook knows about it! She is quite understanding, though. She’s aware that I’ll rectify it if/when I ever sign-in again, and also appreciates that this could be anything up to years into the future!

1 Like

@forest_cat Part of me thinks that sometimes it might not always be about the price. We may laugh & joke about it, but it I think those people are utterly lost without a smartphone- like part of their core essence is gone if they don’t have it with them.
I’m not sure if I posted about this previously, but last summer my friend lost her super expensive iPhone during a kayaking/rafting trip. She wanted to post on Instagram about how much fun she was having, doing a livestream or what ever that’s called. A wave came by, her kayak bounced & there wen’t the iPhone. GONE, never to be seen again.
I have another friend, who is an influencer & dropped her phone into the Wisła River this winter because one of the popular activities to do is go ICE SWIMMING or Winter Swimming & post all over social media while you’re doing it. It’s called “Morsowanie” & it’s all the rage here in Poland in the winter LOL

2 Likes

This is where a rugged outdoor phone/proper camera equipment/having someone else film would really be beneficial.

My Samsung B2100i was my favourite phone ever - in fact, I kept buying second-hand ones and stockpiling batteries for years after it went out of production, only returning to my Nokia 3310 after the last one had failed. My original B2100i survived a drop from a mountain ledge when climbing, and being dropped-in (and fished-out of) a lake when kayaking. I got it deliberately because I knew I’d kill a regular phone in no time… I think the nearest current model is the Nokia 800 tough, which I use when I want a camera on me, but I know there’s a risk of the device being required to fall or swim!

1 Like