Whatsapp without smartphone?

Hi, I am very interested in the Mudita Pure! especially the low SAR is what I am searching for. But, for my job (self-employed tree worker) I need a lot of functions on the road. I could use a tablet, and connect to internet via the Pure, so I can do everything I need to like taking pictures and sending mails, but have this device in the truck in stead of my pocket…
The only think I can’t find a solution of is whatsapp. It is the main conversation tool. groups with co-workers etc. So I also need it. As far as I understood I need a smartphone with my phone number in order to have whatsapp working on other devices as well… I could also just have a smartphone in the truck, but I can’t get 2 cards with the same phone number for a smartphone + Pure.

Are there people in the same situation? and how did you solve this?
thanks!

2 Likes

@peterdc Thanks for reaching out. I have whatsapp with the phone number I use in my Mudita Pure. However, I only use the web version of whatsapp. Another community member made a post about it:

2 Likes

On whatsapps website you could download the whatsapp apk installation file, without having to use google playstore. Then you could install it on any android tablet, using android 5 or above. I have used this on a Onyx Boox e-book reader and it worked well, except that everything was in b&w.
WhatsApp have recently updated the app though, so I don’t know if this works anymore.
Second idea is to use a chromebook that can install android apps (compability list at google).
Third possibility is to use a laptop with Linux and install anbox (android emulator) and try to run WhatsApp from there.
Fourth option is a feature phone with KaiOS.
Fifth is not here yet for the public, but Microsoft is working on making Win11 android compatible.

2 Likes

And is there a sixth option with an iPad? This is what I have and would prefer to use…

1 Like

No, not when I tried. It’s not available in the AppStore from an iPad. I have not tried with an iPad with lte, only wifi though…

1 Like

You can use Android Emulators like Bluestacks

1 Like

There is also memuplay, a Windows/Mac android emulator with google play store access and APK installation that might be worth a try.

1 Like