What self-care strategies work for you?

Good mental health and well-being is key if we want to live our lives in a positive and meaningful way, as well as cope with life’s changes and challenges. This is why it’s crucial that we look after our physical and mental health so we can stay on top of things during stressful times.

What are some self-care strategies which you have implemented in your life which had a positive impact on your health & overall well-being?

Let us know in the comments :smiley:

3 Likes
  • Daily tracking of food Calories consumed and exercise Calories burned
  • Daily minute of mindful breathing with Mudita Moment
  • Early-morning exercise five days a week
  • Evening swims in Summer
  • Nightly three minutes with n.o.w. tone-therapy system
  • Nightly consistent bedtime
  • Weekly gathering with friends
  • Weekly screen-time sabbath
  • Reading physical books
5 Likes

I gave up social media all together.

7 Likes

I’m having a life stage “transformation” (as I like to call it), and this post will be helpful for some suggestions. At the moment, I can mention a few personal strategies that are a “work in progress”:

• No personal social media, and only Telegram as a messenger. I’m still social, I promise. :slight_smile:
  • Business social media only on Telegram (finally, I deleted Instagram :partying_face:)
  • Digital detox: I deleted accounts from websites I don’t use or will not use anymore. If I cannot delete it or some websites make it difficult, I edit my profile with fake options (I also use “Hide my E-mail” from Apple").
  • Limit digital subscriptions: At the moment, I only have Apple One and Telegram. I’m not including the insurance because I don’t have too much choice on that :smiley:
  • Giving priority to meditation and physical training habits, and continue with my food healthy choices.
  • Completely remove toxic people from my life and try to clean negative thoughts from different professional/personal stages.
  • iPhone limited to the minimal apps I need for my daily life. Phone data is off as soon as I arrive home, and I redirected 100% of my work to my MacBook with tight schedules. We have a life, right? :slight_smile:
4 Likes

^ I like this goal. To be a bit blunt, toxic people spoil gatherings by leaving virtual turds in virtual punch bowls. Life is too short to let the same toxic person repeat this at one’s gatherings, so I try to have a one-turd limit on this behavior from anyone.

4 Likes

As someone who’s not long escaped from narcissistic abuse, I’d say this should be a high-priority goal. I have put-on nearly 42lbs / 19kg of weight, re-connected with old friends, and have been photographed smiling for the first time in 5, maybe 10 years, since escaping a toxic relationship and simultaneously re-evaluating which family members of mine really are family and not just unpleasant people I share DNA with.
The same strategy would probably apply very well to most peoples’ social-media friends lists, and social-media group pages in particular. Some groups have a high tendency towards attracting unpleasant behaviour. I remember looking at the venom spewed on a completely innocuous group and just thinking “why the hell am I exposing myself to this rubbish?”. I thought I benefited from the group, but I realised that every time I looked at what was being posted I felt stressed. So it got deleted. There are other goups where people don’t always agree, but it’s not unpleasant, and I end up being fascinated or even educated by them: I’m happy to see disagreement and debate as long as the idea is attacked, not the person.

4 Likes

People call me creature of habit, which I totally am.
For me, having routines, whether related to sleep, work, or anything connected with wellness is KEY.
Routines reduce my decision-making cost. This means I can focus & concentrate on things that really matter.

4 Likes

^ Brilliant!

3 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Thanks!

2 Likes

Due to my “nerdy” interest in behavioral economics and plasticity, this is music to my ears. :slight_smile:

2 Likes