What practices do you employ to feel rested and relaxed on a daily basis?

We’ve had some discussions regarding “The Science Behind a Good Night’s Sleep” and the “Power of Sleep.” However, I’m curious—what steps do you take to provide your body with enough rest on a daily basis?

Do you employ power naps during the day? How about meditation? Have you tried it? Did you know that deep breathing can not only help relax your nervous system, but also oxygenates your brain more, which leads to the ability to focus better for extended periods of time (more at: Deep Breathing Benefits and How-To | Right as Rain)?

Personally, I tend to sleep more than most people (around 9 hours a day) in order to feel rested. The exception is when I’m in nature, outside the city.

To feel rested on a daily basis, I maintain a normalized sleep pattern. My body usually feels tired around 10:00 pm every day. I typically go to sleep at that time and wake up around 7:00 - 7:30 without an alarm on most days. In my opinion, this is one of the best practices you can implement to fall asleep without spending long hours in bed.

I also pay attention to a few other factors. I make sure to have the right kind of light at night (orange spectrum), and I try to avoid spending time in front of screens before going to sleep. Taking an occasional walk in the park tends to do go a long way when it comes to sleeping better, or so I have noticed.

I do indulge in the occasional power nap every now and then. However, it’s important not to become overly reliant on these, as they can disrupt your sleep pattern, making it difficult to fall asleep at your desired time later at night.

Regarding meditation, this is one of those things I’ve been practicing on and off for a while. Generally, I believe that practicing it regularly tends to lead to a calmer approach towards situations that arise in your life—you don’t stress as much.

How about your own experiences? Have you tried any of the above or something else perhaps?

4 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread @adamgwarek !
I’m really curious what some of our Pioneers do to stay rested and relaxed? @skilletsauce @galtions @nanomaron – maybe you’d like to share? And remember it’s totally ok if not :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Personally, I need to work on my sleep schedule. Especially Monday-Tuesday night, when I arrive home from my evening class ca. 10:15 PM and need to wake up at 6 AM to get to a morning class. As a result, Tuesdays are tough :yawning_face:

3 Likes

I have a whole wellness routine & if I stray too much from my routine, my whole day is off.
First 30min of my morning is offline- I make my coffee & drink in silence.
Walking Meditation every morning.
My 90min offline evening routine
Consistent sleep schedule. Even of weekends & holidays.

5 Likes

Wow, this is such a big topic for me because over my life getting healthful, restorative rest and sleep has been… well… an adventure. Like @adamgwarek I require many hours of sleep each day to feel rested in body, and mind.

I’ve done many things over the years to assist and recently everything has become about simplifying, letting go of unnecessary stuff and keeping it simple… We humans do have a knack for over-complicating things :wink:

Chronic nightmares, light sleeper, chronic pain and anxiety of mind have all been barriers to getting consistent deep, restorative, healing sleep. Dealing with each of these (healing the cause of them) has been important along with a consistent ‘getting ready for sleep’ routine.

Naps, meditation, eating healthful foods, balancing activity and rest during the day (not overdoing it), feng shui-ing the sleep space (declutter!), meaningful interactions with animals, and physical connection with nature (feet on the ground and in the sun) are all contributors to sleep quality.

I create a healthful sleep space in mind, physically in the room, in body, and in Spirit.

My body is aligned now with the natural rhythms of nature around me – getting up and down with the sun. If it’s dark out, I stay in bed so my body can rest. If I cannot sleep, I meditate, do some brain breathing or visualisation of some creative project, but always stay in bed.

Thinking of my day as starting not when I wake up in the morning, but when I go to bed that afternoon/evening, has helped immensely. This shift in perception allows me to start my day by prioritising sleep.

Balancing synthetic exposures with natural ones. E.G. balancing EMF exposure with time physically interacting with nature to ground the EMF out of the body. This opens the body to it’s innate, eons of time evolved, natural rhythms… including sleep.

On a side note – I’ve noticed that the only effective treatment for chronic fatigue, is chronic rest. If you’re going to make time rest – make it the best rest you can!

4 Likes

What would you change?

2 Likes

Wow @galtions your approach to improving your sleep quality is inspiring. I appreciate how you’ve embraced mindfulness, and aligned your body with nature’s rhythms. It’s as if you came up with a strategy for better sleep. BTW isn’t it a bit funny? that a natural bodily function is so disrupted by civilisation that one needs to strategise for it? :blush::crescent_moon:

As for me, I’ve been reflecting on my sleep routine, and there are a couple of things I’d like to change:

• I need a more consistent sleep schedule.
  • I want to wake up early for discipline, but balancing it with being a night owl is a challenge.
  • My cats have a habit of disrupting my sleep (I love them but sometimes it feels like I’m a burden to them haha), so finding ways to prevent that would be great.

Thanks for asking! :blush::crescent_moon:

2 Likes

Yep, it’s a symptom of domestication of humans - we can easily become separated from naturally evolved rhythms. The good news is that if we choose to, we can relatively easily sync back into those rhythms as they seem to be within our DNA.
Teehee! Cats are natural night hunters so hunting night owls makes sense! :smile:
Good luck with the changes you’d like to make!

1 Like

I have to say I have found this idea very interesting! I’ve never thought of looking at it that way - where your day starts when you go to sleep, not when you wake up. That’s an interesting shift in perception!

1 Like