What kind of Predictive text will be used

I would like to know what kind of predictive text will be used since its not T9? For an almost $400 phone with shipping its important to know. I don’t know why you can’t use T9 though. Even my Sonim XP5s has T9 and its android but has old school keys like the mudita pure

5 Likes

I was told from Mudita on their YouTube channel that they won’t be implementing predictive text because it’s imperfect and you can just use the laptop to send longer messages. So they say you’ll need to use triple click instead. Odd considering on their forum they talk about how they have been working on their own form of predictive text. Could be in a latet update?
If they do choose to forgo predictive text, I may still buy the phone but I won’t be happy. It seems almost hypocritical to me though to say their phone promotes low radiation and keeps you offline, but if you don’t want to fight your phone to send a text message you need to get on your bright, backlit, radiation emitting laptop, that has access to the internet, just to send a decent message. Seems unminimal to me, tbh. I think we should have the choice to use predictive text or triple tap because for some things, one works better than the other. I can’t have a laptop on me at work. That’s 8+ hours I have my phone where I can’t use a decent texting option, and I text a lot.

4 Likes

I agree, especially for the price they are asking. Triple click takes a lot longer to text than t9. I was wanting to get this phone but I’m not spending almost $400 on a phone that’s going to be a pain to text on. Especially since I got my sonim for $50 and t9 is perfect on it

4 Likes

Interestly, I also have a Sonim (XPS5s) as non-smartphone that I would like to replace with something simpler and I just stumbled upon this. My Soinim is way too heavy/bulky and the inadvertent button presses from being in my pocket are very bothersome.

There’s a lot to like about the Mudita, but for ~4x cost (I paid about $100 for my Sonim), you’re already dealing with inherent drawbacks to this type of device (biggest one, would be no camera) that is already difficult to swallow, but I could probably learn to live without. But missing something as simple as t9 is puzzling. Also, for trying to be music/audiobook-friendly, but I see no SD card slot and with only 16GB internal memory, this is not enough for my music/podcasts.

3 Likes

I am okay without a camera, but it would have been nice to have the ability to add more storage. I’m not sure how often I’m going to need to delete text messages. I also wish you could expand the storage. It would be nice to use the phone as an MP3 player.

3 Likes

Since you can’t open a multimedia message, I’m guessing the quantity of text messages would not be an issue.

2 Likes

I have preordered, and if there is no predictive text in development/on the horizon, that would be an absolute dealbreaker. Both myself and my family work long, strange hours, and I live in a separate country from them. SMS is the easiest way to keep in touch about small things, especially since I do not use social media, and it is the #1 way I communicate with my partner on the fly.

I have so few requirements from a feature phone like this, and quick, efficient SMS texting is absolutely one of them. I am heartbroken to find that it will not ship with any predictive texting, and will not be able to recommend this phone to anyone else until it does. I may even consider asking for a refund, unless Mudita can assure us that they are still working on it for a later update. @lukasz.anwajler?

4 Likes

Not sure what is more perfect than T9 for a 12-button phone keypad. Do you have a link to that YouTube video? My understanding was that implementing T9 requires licensing.

4 Likes

@knightayres We do want to add predictive text to Mudita Pure. We are in the process of testing different options, and we’ll be updating on the progress here once we confirm the technology. Knowing the limitations of typing on a physical keyboard, we will also have a desktop app that allows you to type on your computer if you need to send a longer message. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Look at the comments from Braillynn !

4 Likes

I hope that the end product is the best version of predictive we’ll ever see. I really feel like you could accomplish something like that. I mentioned in another post about my suggestion for how to quickly implement symbols. I wonder if that’s been taken into consideration.

2 Likes

@braillynn we are working hard to achieve the best solutions. :slight_smile:
And yes, your idea was taken into the account.

4 Likes

Are there any updates on predictive texting? I would absolutely love this feature.

5 Likes

Thank you for your comment. At this moment we are working on the stability of MuditaOS. However, we certainly have predictive text on our list of features. It might be delivered with the following the launch MuditaOS updates.

11 Likes

Having some preset (customizable) answers like “Can I call you later?” and similar can be great in combination with the ability to write longer texts on the desktop app.

8 Likes

@sandra You will be able to create your own custom templates in Pure, in order to respond more quickly to text messages. Perhaps I’m too “old school” however, I am not a fan of LONG, drawn on, discussions via messages. It’s just a waste of time. I prefer to call some one, explain what I need & receive an answer. But, like I said…I’m old.

6 Likes

I agree with that sentiment haha. Keep it simple and sweet and when there needs to be more detail, it can wait for a detailed phone call perhaps.

5 Likes

That’s what I need the templates for, I want them to say things like “I’ll call you later” or “I’ll reply over email” or “I’ll reply in a letter—you still have the same address, right?”

5 Likes

@sandra You will be able to do just that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I know♥
I looked through the source at the git repo.:heart:

4 Likes