The science of happiness

What does it take to live a happier life?
I recently watched a segment of the news about a HS which is teaching a class on happiness. It’s based on an course taught at an ivy league university .

I found it quite interesting how these teens are going back to basics & discovering & learning how spending time offline, building meaningful relationships & enjoying the beauty of life can have a profound effect of out health & well-being.

Check out the clip & let me know your thoughts.

6 Likes

It’s seems screen time has a lot to do with it. I watched the clip & these kids are mentioning that they are making an effort to spend less time online and that’s really helping them feel more content. That’s not anything new.
There is some evidence to suggest that social media use can contribute to decreased feelings of contentment in certain individuals. Social media can create unrealistic expectations and social comparisons that may lead some people to feel dissatisfied with their own lives and envious of others.
When you remove that factor, you can feel more satisfied with your own life.

6 Likes

Guiding the young generation is so important. Its easy to get lost. I like the approach to care for the students mental health and happiness; not just their study results.

7 Likes

As a millennial, I can say with certainty that all this time on social media can lead you down a very dark path. Sometimes you don’t even realize it and you are there. And once you’re there, it’s hard to get out because everyone else is on there too, sucking you back in. Limiting screen time is the best thing some people can do for their well-being.

7 Likes

@valleygirl I think I agree with you. As someone older, what I see on social media doesn’t really affect me in a negative way (as in my feekings), but I can see how it can be a complete waste of time.
This translates into “oh no” I gotta finish something quickly because I just wasted 2 hrs scrolling through cat videos.

6 Likes

Social media can be a real double-edged sword, you know? It’s great for staying connected with friends and all that, but it can also be a huge source of stress and anxiety. FOMO is real, and so is the pressure to always present the perfect image of ourselves online. Not to mention all the toxic negativity that can come out of online interactions.
It’s really important for us to be mindful of our screen time and how it’s affecting us. That doesn’t mean we have to swear off technology altogether - let’s be real, that’s not happening - but maybe we can try to be more intentional with our usage. Taking breaks, setting limits, and making sure we’re balancing screen time with other activities that bring us joy and fulfillment. After all, we gotta take care of ourselves, both online and offline.

8 Likes

Getting sucked into the vortex of virtual reality, so much that it affects your real life is- I think- the biggest problem. You think it’s real life, but it’s not. Then when you realize that life is not like social media, it can lead to total disappointment.

7 Likes

Happiness is subjective and what makes one person happy can make another person completely miserable. But there are some common factors and I think those are close relationships with people we care about.
I read somewhere that people who have one or more close friendships appear to be happier. How does social media come into play? Social media promotes superficial relationships, while close, meaningful relationships are more genuine.

7 Likes

I think happiness starts with valuing your own opinions, especially about yourself, and protecting those opinions. Only let the opinions of people you trust and respect penetrate, but not without deep consideration and discussion.

Figure out what you like, and stick to it. When you are really being you, the right people will come into your life and appreciate your sentiments. This might result in a loss of friends, but choose quality over quantity. Ask yourself whether the people that surround you want you to succeed and find happiness, or want to keep you around for their own comfort. Ask yourself whether you are putting your happiness first in your decisions. Are you doing what’s right for you, or trying to avoid conflict? Are you doing what’s right for you, or trying to make others like you? Are you doing what’s right for you, or just trying to appease? Say no when you have to. Even when it’s hard.

Don’t expect others to be as sincere and mindful as you, but do recognize and value encounters with those qualities.

Sometimes regret and stress are the cause of not doing what you ought to have done from the beginning of a situation. Combat this with being present and un-filtering your thoughts so you can react appropriately when necessary.

2 Likes

@less Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Everything you said is valid, but with social media & so many people living their lives ONLINE, it’s very hard to figure out what one’s opinions, likes & dislikes REALLY are. It’s hard to be an independent thinker with your own thoughts & values when you’re constantly being spoon-fed what your thoughts and values should be.

2 Likes