The Power of Sleep

Some people equate the loss of sleep with having more time to enjoy the day or getting things done. However, when you’re sleep deprived, you can’t really enjoy the day and you’re also so unfocused that you’re are actually much slower in getting things done.
Getting a good nights rest is essential to performing well at work/school and is vital for focus and concentration.
What are some of your tips for a good night’s rest?

2 Likes

Blackout curtains are essential!

1 Like

@lisa72 I heard a lot about blackout curtains, I’ve even tried them in hotel rooms on vacation. However, I have this feeling that if you’re sleeping without an alarm clock, it would be hard to gauge what time to actually wake up. How do you deal with it?

This has happened to me on multiple occasions… weekends mostly, when I don’t need my alarm on for work. Honestly, I would be willing to sell the curtains and replace them with something thinner and more esthetic. I realize that an eye/sleep mask could provide the same service and for a lot less money. :grin:

1 Like

Most things involved in sleep are based in nature and habit. I try to do nothing in bed except sleep, I have only warm colored and dimmer lighting at night, and I try to stop eating, drinking, and looking at any screen at least 2 hours before bed.

2 Likes

This is the right answer. Habit.
I also don’t drink or eat 3 or 4 hours previous to get into bed. I go to sleep every night at the same hour with no distractions whatsoever (my phone is not even allowed to enter the room), and consequently I wake up, without the need of any help, at the same hour every morning.

I simply put into practice what I learned when I’m out in the wild, hiking or spending time in some remote area: I tend to go to bed very early, even before the sun sets, and wake up very early also, naturally adjusting to my personal Circadian rhythm.

1 Like

This is SPOT ON. If I don’t go to sleep at the same time & wake up at the same time, my day is off & I don’t feel my best. I’m also of the opinion that a smartphone has absolutely no place in a tranquil bedroom. It just leads to sleep disruptions & poor sleep hygiene.

1 Like