The Minimal Phone

2 Likes

They will not get my business.

• UBER on the home screen? No, thanks; I hate Ăśber. I wonder whether they are getting product-placement money from Ăśber.
  • Android 13? No, thanks. I want a Google-apps-free (AOSP-based) version of Android. I got rid of my Google ID, as I value my privacy.
  • Face unlock? No, thanks. I value my cybersecurity.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Looks nice, but also bulky… ( and above comment :point_up_2:t2: )

2 Likes

Yeah won’t be getting my business either. If it was a dumbphone 100 percent I would buy it. Its a smartphone with a e-ink screen don’t see how this won’t be as addictive as a smartphone when it has all the apps that can distract you.

3 Likes

Its nice to see more e-ink phones. Company seems to be “first timing”, so lets see what happens in the end.
Campaigning is similar to Mudita, but offers less inovation (beside being grateful its QWERTY).
Looking forward to see how compact and Pure 2 will fair against.
3.5" E ink screen, QWERTY, Wireless charging and 4000 mah battery are plus points. Hope to see some of it in pure 2.

Rest of specs is low for modern Android

CPU: MTK 6769
RAM: 4GB
Storage: 128GB
Display: 3.5” E-Ink Touch / 300 PPI / High Refresh Rate
Front Camera: 8MP
Rear Camera: 16MP
WIFI: 802.11 a / b / g / n 2.4GHz / 5GHz WiFi Direct,WiFi,B 4.1
AT&T: YES
T-Mobile: YES
Verizon: YES
Battery: 4000mAh QC 18W Wireless charge less than 20W
Features: QWERTY keyboard, NFC, GPS, A-GPS, Fingerprint (side), Face unlock, G sensor, Compass, Gyroscope, Proximity, Light sensor

1 Like

I do not think that this will come to market with the current business plan. They are saying that everything is possible for a $400 QWERTY phone. We’ll see what happens, but I don’t have confidence in them delivering this phone by August 2024.

2 Likes

It seems its more in plans. I expect delays. And they are not yet even IndieGoGo funed.
Company has only twitter, instagram and IndieGo, not even a website. So the claim of community around is dubious.
But, I do wish them success.
325$ is current IndieGo offer, but expect it to go above 450$ in the end sales - if they make it at all.

I like coupling e-ink and strong battery and QWERTY and a bit bigger e-ink screen. Rest is not so impressive. Beside girl throwing Android phone to river in the video :smiley:

Addendum:
There is website, but with no contact
https://www.tryminimal.com/
However, there are serious concerns on set dates, personas behind and feasibility at given price
https://www.reddit.com/r/dumbphones/comments/1b2rcca/comment/ksnpb06/

1 Like

@Jose_Briones I have to agree with you.

2 Likes

I just the video and I don’t have the feeling of minimalism at all.
If the meaning of disconnection of the matrix is an e-ink screen but all the rest remain, you really didn’t get the meaning… you lie to yourself again.
Pure is my main phone from now on.

3 Likes

Yeah its not. I think it just convinces people the have disconnected cause there is a e-ink screen. You can still get constant notifications on it, so its a no go for me

4 Likes

I do love the form factor however. I am tired of the same slab design over and over.

2 Likes

Assuming it can come to market, the Minimal Phone seems like it could be a compelling option for some. I don’t think it’s wise to Pooh Pooh it because it isn’t “dumb.” Digital Minimalism does look different for everyone and having apps doesn’t inherently make the device a problem. I think that comes down to the specific apps and settings used.

If this phone is a full blown smartphone with just an e-ink screen as it’s only nod to digital minimalism than, yeah, they probably missed the boat. But I don’t see much to say that it will or won’t have other design nods to minimalism. To me a smaller screen and a keyboard mentally puts me in the mind space of “this is a tool,” not “ooh, a tiny TV.” Could just be me but small screen, QWERTY, and e-ink is a good start. Hopefully installing apps isn’t easy and notifications are severely limited. That would take it over the top for me.

Either way, lots to be proven with this device; not the least of which is if it can come to market. It’s okay if the device isn’t for you, but let’s not pretend this isn’t a huge improvement over phones with 6.8” screens and more bells and whistles than an infant’s toy chest.

3 Likes

I just stated something similar in another area of the forum. The combination of a qwerty keyboard and possibly a touch screen would be a great form factor. Once the slab design took over I started to see my phone as more of an all encompassing digital consumption device and less of a phone/tool.

3 Likes

My Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid flip-phone has a combination of a numeric keypad and a touch screen. Although the screen is small and the keypad is limited, I do appreciate having both keys that I can press and icons & words that I can tap.

3 Likes

I am with you on that one @kirkmahoneyphd I’ve used the Sunbeam F1 (the one with the most features, forget the flower name) and using the keyboard to type using T9 wasn’t that bad. I am kind of excited to see if a good QWERTY phone can exist nowadays.

I am hoping the Minimal Phone will work like the Light Phone’s web portal. Only allowing apps to be “installed” from the browser. That way everyone can have a phone that is as dumb, or smart, as they need.

4 Likes

There will be a community who’ll love this device. Although not for me, I do hope they succeed. It’s nice to see people’s vision be fulfilled.

2 Likes

It has complete access to all apps on google play. It is a smartphone. But I don’t think they are going to raise the funds to produce it if you look at their current total

2 Likes

Question is how dependent on IndieGo campaign they are. Its badly made that number of discounted phones was far too limited, so now they have just most expensive and least attractive option left.

1 Like