The Future of Social Media

@roberto I liked MySpace :slight_smile: and you’re right it WAS super innocent. It was just about interaction and connecting with people. I liked how MySpace allowed users to embed music that would play automatically when others visited their profile.
It makes me sad that it had such a short lifespan. When FB showed up on the scene, MySpace lost significant ground to it and to other platforms that followed.

However, may there’s someone who can give META a run for its money:
Here’s an interesting article I read in the Economist:

If you have it behind a paywall: here’s the link to the AUDIO:

3 Likes
3 Likes

@roberto I see where they are going with this. Recently, I noticed that there are so many FB ads on the platform, every other post is basically a “sponsored” post. I think the aim is to flood people with so many ads that they will be so irritated that they will pay for an ad-free version.

1 Like

BTW remember Threads?

2 Likes

@aleksander No one in Europe even got to try it.

First, they “steal” your data and information. Then, they bombarded you with ads based on that data. In the end, you have to pay to avoid seeing ads derived from your own data, which you continue to provide to them.

WE are a profitable service to them.

2 Likes

This is an important point to remember. When we feel this is available in our own lives, we have choices.

2 Likes

Indeed, social media platforms are designed to be engaging and can become addictive for many users. It’s a double-edged sword, offering connectivity and entertainment, but also raising concerns about privacy, mental health, and the influence of algorithms.

The decline in Facebook users and Meta’s stock shares could be due to various factors. People are becoming more aware of the potential negative impacts of excessive social media use, leading to a desire for more balance in their lives. Privacy concerns and the debate over social media’s role in spreading misinformation have also contributed to a shift in user behavior.

2 Likes

Interesting point @famupsaman ! I’m wondering how your social media journey looked? Was there a time when you’d use it? If so, how did the “break up” go?

1 Like

Ta-da:

So apparently the EU forced META’s hand and users will need to EITHER pay €9.99/month on the web or €12.99/month on iOS and Android OR accept personalised ads.
What do you think about this?

1 Like

My social media journey has been quite the adventure! Like many people, I was an avid user of various social media platforms, from Facebook and Twitter to Instagram and LinkedIn. It was a fascinating way to stay connected with friends, share life updates, and explore interesting content. However, just like any relationship, there came a time when I felt the need for a break. The constant stream of information, notifications, and the pressure to keep up with the latest trends could become overwhelming. I realized that I needed some time to step back, reassess my relationship with social media, and find a healthier balance. The “break-up” with social media was not abrupt but rather a gradual process. I started by reducing my daily screen time, disabling non-essential notifications, and curating my feeds to ensure I was seeing content that truly added value to my life.

2 Likes

So glad to hear this @famupsaman. If you don’t mind sharing, was there a specific trigger for the realisation that this relationship had become overwhelming?

For me, it is often in times of social or political turmoil and when people get polarised that I feel the sudden urge to flee social media altogether.

Also, you mentioned curating your feeds. Can you share some examples of the kind of content you decided to keep and the kind you decided to remove or avoid?

1 Like

I think we can agree on the idea that there is definitely a dark side of social media & that social media is NOT real life.
However, I have a feeling we haven’t seen the worst of it.
I read this article over the weekend & it really made me pause and thing.

It’s not behind a paywall, so it should be open for everyone to read.

Additionally, NPR did an interview with the author to get his thoughts on the subject:

You can download the 5min conversation & play it on your Mudita Harmony :slight_smile:

Basically, the article goes into the alarming rise of violence among young Americans, particularly highlighting the role of social media as an accelerant.

The article has a lot of information & it tries to go into the causes of this violence. However, after reading the article & listening to the interview, this way my takeaway:

Social media isn’t just a virtual space; for many young individuals, it’s an integral part of their real life. The lines between online feuds and real-world consequences have blurred, with social media platforms serving as a potent driver of violence among the youth. The rapid spread and permanence of online taunts, threats, and challenges can escalate situations, leading to tragic outcomes. This phenomenon underscores the need for a deeper understanding of online interactions, more proactive monitoring, and potential interventions to prevent such escalations.

Social media make flash mobs possible.

Flash mobs at their start in the USA were humorous, as their participants got together to sing in a shopping mall or to dance at an amusement park – maybe even to feature a man proposing to a woman to marry him.

Today, though, flash mobs – still organized through social media – are a scourge on American law & order. They enable massive looting and massive rioting.

1 Like

YES! You are 100% right:

My friends & family in Chicago send me videos of these “Teen Takeovers” all the time.

1 Like