Thank you Mudita Kompakt Team!

It’s been about a year now since I’ve had the Mudita Kompakt. Thank you to the Mudita team for making a great product!. The responses as well as the timely fixes have made the product worth the price.

I have many friends and strangers ask me about the phone (sometimes I wish I just had a QR code or something to bring them directly to the site for them to check it out). The only hard part of the minimalist phone market is their only available online, and to get the product to Canada is fairly costly.

My first phone was a blackberry Q5. I liked it because it was simple and did not take my life away. Once I switched to a “smarter” phone I was constantly distracted by it. I wasted so much time from my life, family, friends and well the random strangers that I would talk to on the bus. Later on I switched to a flip phone. I liked it, barely used it, although since the contacting is mostly done through texting it was very inconvenient. I needed a dumb phone that had a keyboard to make texting easier. My choice was between the light phone III (way too expensive) and the Kompakt (much more affordable and has an e ink screen). My first impression from the Kompakt was mixed. Pros: e ink (not eye straining), simple design, good enough software, keyboard, maps options, battery life. The cons: keyboard was slow and always made mistakes, maps was very basic and slow, the side button is overly sensitive (causing the phone to somehow unlock and randomly text people—*still an issue), and the ear speaker is very quiet.

Now, this is where Mudita thrives. You listen to the issues from your customers and fix them. The keyboard is much better and easier to use, maps is slowly becoming more usable and the phone’s upgrades have been fantastic. Above all, my phone life is much simpler. The Kompakt is my every day use phone and it’s great! It has allowed me to be more attentive to those around me and avoid distraction during my studies.

If your office was in Canada, I would bring you all donuts and coffee as an appreciation!

9 Likes

@Jay Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. I loved reading how Mudita Kompakt has helped you become more present with your family, friends, studies, and even strangers on the bus. That means a great deal to us. I’ve already passed on your post to our team since this is exactly the kind of relationship with technology we hoped to support when creating this device.

We also truly appreciate your patience throughout the journey. Mudita Kompakt has evolved considerably over the past year, and feedback from people like you has played an important role in that progress. We’re glad the improvements to the keyboard and Maps have made a noticeable difference. We’ve also noted that the overly sensitive side button is still causing problems for you, along with the quiet earpiece speaker.
(Please check out Volume+ :slight_smile: it’s an app created by one of our community members that raises the maximum in-call volume beyond the stock setting.

We hear you about the cost and difficulty of ordering a minimalist phone in Canada, too. I’ll check with our B2B team if we have a list of distributors in Canada.
And honestly, the QR code idea is a good one! :blush: Maybe we should make cases with this :slight_smile:

For now, please consider the coffee and donuts received in spirit. (Is the coffee from Tim Hortons? If yes, please include some Timbits in the delivery LOL)

Thank you for choosing Mudita Kompakt as your everyday phone, for telling others about it, and for allowing us to be part of your journey toward a simpler, more attentive life.
Messages like this mean more to our team than you might realize.

4 Likes

Fellow Canadian here as well! I owned the Kompakt two previous times and third times a charm as my white Kompakt gets here sometime this week. I always wonder if I will ever see another Kompakt out in the wild in Canada lol

3 Likes

Same here, south of you!

2 Likes

The only time I ever saw a unique phone like mine in the wild was when I had the Blackberry Passport if anyone remembers that square device, I ran into someone at a bestbuy and saw him using it and we chatted for like 20 mins lol

2 Likes

I just wanted to echo OP’s thanks and gratitude! Very happy UK Kompakt user year, for approx 1 year. It has totally changed my relationship with smartphones and I can’t see myself going back to a “typical” smartphone again. I mainly use the phone for calls, texts, calendar, my workout/gym app, meditation timer, checking the weather, and the occasional wikipedia article and AI search to help with my french language learning. I use a separate audio player device for music streaming (Fiio JM21), and have access to internet banking + whatsapp on a secondary device when needed, but only occasionally. I’ve tried so many “dumbphones”, launchers, hacks to try to reduce screen/device use, and this 100% has worked out as the best compromise for me. Very grateful for the team for all their on-going work, and to the wider community for making custom apps, caring about the product and wanting to make it the best possible by sharing feedback, and to know there is an increasingly growing number of people out there wanting to have a more mindful phone experience! Thank you x 1000. The only reason why I haven’t posted earlier is because I had issues with posting in the forum! Very excited for the 2.0 roll out too.

2 Likes

I also would like to thank the team & customer service for being so nice and helpful. My hardware issues were fixed in a timely & accommodating manner.

This is an amazing company & spirit with a clear mission in mind. I hope it will stay the same in the future.

4 Likes