Signal Protocol Integration

Please add the Signal Protocol to the Mudita Pure and other upcoming Phones. Allowing the user to Choose Cellular/SMS or Signal Protocol for Calls and Messages. This would allow more privacy and security to users. If this integration is possible I would definitely purchase a phone. I have been convincing my family and friends to use Signal. So that even if you have an Android or iOS you can still all messages each other without using SMS. Also the Signal Technology Foundation which own and operates the Signal Protocol Servers is a 501©(3) nonprofit.

5 Likes

This should be possible, as the Mudita Pure can work as a hotspot. But you would have to collaborate with the Signal Foundation to bring Signal to Pure. I would be very happy if it was available, as SMS messages are unsecure.

5 Likes

Actually. The Mudita Pure does not have hotspot or active internet, so unless those happen it won’t be possible.

7 Likes

Not sure how hard it would be to implement it or if it’s even possible to do so from a technical point of view. But I think there are good reasons to consider this proposal. First and foremost, sms is not a secure means for communication, unlike e2ee software, and second wifi/data calling through Signal (or other messaging app) can be highly appreciated by those who talk on a regular basis with people abroad since it’s usually more convenient than regular calls and -again, more secure.
Having said that, I would understand the Mudita team would opt not to do it for the sake of simplicity :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I would be fine with the the Mudita Pure having only wifi not LTE or even cellular data. I know this would be contradicting of being an “offline” phone and disconnected. The team would have to very strict and purposeful with what features they would allow if they added wifi. I defiantly would like it to be minimal but I believe adding wifi for Signal Protocol or another messaging protocol feature that’s secure would be very beneficial over using just SMS.

2 Likes

The team over at Sailfish have produced one successfully here. this one is very actively maintained as well, its updated regularly and has a great dev team working on it.

and ubuntu touch has an unofficial client here. This is updated regularly as well with hotfixes.
So it should be possible

3 Likes

Thanks for the links!

2 Likes

The difference is that Mudita uses FREERTOS as it’s base. And also, there is no active LTE for it. So it’s possible to code one, but how useful it’d be it’s determined by a lot of other factors.

I know SMS is not popular among the private community, but I doubt no access to Signal on a phone would be a deal breaker. Honestly, the more I use my Light Phone, the more I realize it’s better to just use it for calls and then use Desktop platforms for private communication via text.

3 Likes

^ Can you give an example or two of this, @Jose_Briones?

2 Likes

Not OP but you might like to take a look at this list. Specifically the encrypted messaging section.
Session for instance is a good option for desktop, you don’t even need to provide email or phone number to set up an account and start a conversation.

4 Likes

See Nirvana’s comment above. Session, Threema, Signal, all of them can be used from Desktop :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, José! I had not heard of Session or Threema. Now that I have read the specs, I can say that Session is the most appealing among Session, Threema, and Signal. Session also publishes good articles about privacy, such as this one about privacy washing:

2 Likes

You would be surprised, I have lived in the US where people regularly still use SMS and it was fine, however, in much of Europe and principally the UK I haven’t received an SMS message from a friend or family in a couple of years now. KaiOS has been a lifesaver for me who wants minimalism but also considering that most people use WhatsApp. Messenger and whatsapp are the most common, but for people wanting privacy signal and telegram are used. Not sure what the current landscape of the US is, but back in 2018 whatsapp was used by about 33% of US smartphone users, at the same time in the UK it was used by about 84% of smartphone users. Data plans are more common with some UK networks offering unlimited data for instant messaging use. So I think the lack of internet based communications could be a real obstacle to adoption, particularly in Europe and other countries that are not the US whereby data is cheaper than SMS or in places where SMS is viewed as positively antiquated.

As for it being based on FREERTOS, I do get that theres a difference, but what it does mean is that the signal foundation is more accepting of third party clients than they used to be. The lack of LTE on the phone is a sticking point, however, if it can hotspot then surely this could be used by messaging apps running on the device?

3 Likes

I remember when the specifications for RCS (encrypted messaging successor to sms) was presented, 10 years ago or so, I thought it would be adopted quickly by the industry. No quite so. Today its integrated into the android messaging app, but I think its optional and needs to be turned on.
Anyway, very briefly read a 3gpp report a while ago about tests of “volte and rcs interoperability”. Dont remember the exact purpose, but if it means that rcs messages can be routed through the same data package ports as volte uses, it might be a possible road ahead in the future since another thread confirmed the M pure will have volte.

4 Likes

It doesn’t have a wireless hotspot option, but you can share your data connection to any device that is connected with Pure through a cable.

2 Likes

Briar Messenger is a project that can work even offline through Bluetooth connection. Even when you are using Wi-Fi/Data, your messages don’t travel through any servers, but both contacts need to be online to send messages between them.

4 Likes

The source code of Punkt’s signal client “Pigeon” is up on github, if someone wants to take a look.

7 Likes

@John_Andersson This is GREAT. Thanks for sharing this.

3 Likes

Hello!
First post here :slight_smile:
I want to chime in to this thread as integrating the signal protocol would make the mudita pure very interesting for my usage! Hopefully we can figure a way to make this happen. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Super interesting? Do you think you will buy one with out signal? I think its a amazing device

2 Likes