Signal Protocol Integration

Well, for me, the use of Signal is what kept me from ditching my smartphone for a feature phone many times… But this project is also not like any feature phone either, so I might do the switch regardless. It’s just that integrating this protocol would definitely make it a no-brainer for me.

6 Likes
2 Likes

That phone has signal the reason i like mudita pure is i want a real basic internet free device just sms and calls nice and simple

4 Likes

I can’t speak for anyone but myself but, Encrypted messaging is a must. The Pure has a data connection already, just like the MP02 (in my view the closest competitor to the pure), the pure just needs an interface. If the pure is an SMS only device I don’t see myself getting it. Encrypted messaging is that important.

6 Likes

I have found an interesting app for Android called Silence. It works as a regular SMS app, but with addition of end-to-end encryption using the Signal protocol. You can use it like a normal SMS app, but if you want to chat privately, you can enable encryption. The recipient has to have the app installed too to be able to read these encrypted messages.

Pros:

• No internet connection needed to send messages
  • Secure communication using the wide-spread SMS protocol
  • Can be integrated to the Pure’s built in SMS app (no additional app needed)
  • Fully free and open-source

Cons:

• Your contacts have to install the app to access encrypted messages
  • Not available for iOS, as you can’t change the default SMS app
  • No encrypted calls (Signal offers them)

This would be a nice solution to solve the lack of secure text communication if the Mudita team decided to not include the Signal app client (Although I would still prefer Signal).

3 Likes

Looking into it more Briar has a huge potential over Signal! Great recommendation. Briar has a lot of potential in its future for being even better than Signal! I recommend if not Signal (which is more widely used and popular) but push for a more future proof messaging platform like Briar . It is very forward thinking Messaging Platform that integrates offline capabilities as well as online messaging (bluetooth, wifi direct and P2P through Tor). This allows for continued use during natural disasters, power outages, emergency and/ or censorship. Here is a good video of how Briar works but keep in mind they have done a lot of improvements since this video is released. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJ8vIh3dVU

4 Likes

Thank you for posting about Briar! It seems more secure than Silence.

For example, I looked up Silence and found another con:

With encrypted messages, Silence will protect the content of the communications. It means that only you and your recipient will be able to read the conversation. Your carrier, an attacker or a state surveillance program won’t be able to read encrypted messages. But Silence will not hide your social graph: it means that, even with encrypted messages, attackers could figure out who you’re chatting with, when, or how often. Additionally, your phone may still be tracked (with Silence or any other app) through the GSM network.

In contrast, the video about Briar implied to me that identifying with whom you’re chatting, when, and how often requires the ability to trace Tor connections, which the presenter suggested that the Five Eyes (and presumably the CCP, among others) may be able to do, for example, but that the average hacker would not be able to do.

3 Likes

Yes, the biggest con of Silence (also applies to SMS) is unencrypted metadata: basically message sent/received count, last activity, time when messages were send or received, who you are chatting with, and most importantly, your whole contact list with names and phone numbers.

Briar is the most secure and private option out of these 3, but also the least practical option for regular texting, as you and the person you are chatting with have to be online at the same time.

Signal is nearly ideal for me, but you have to sign up with your phone number. That is why I would need to keep both my smartphone and the Pure, even if I don’t use the former for anything else.

I’m curious what Mudita Chat will bring and whether it will be supported on Pure.

4 Likes

I thought that Session, a Signal derivative, does not require a phone number.

2 Likes

You are right, but I really don’t want to make all of my contact switch from Signal to Session, as I just recently made them to move to Signal from FB Messenger (and many of them they didn’t look very happy about having to switch :upside_down_face:, just imagine they would have to do that again).

5 Likes

Just registered to +1 for signal.

Lack of Encrypted communication is a dealbreaker.

3 Likes

Maybe Signal/Session or other encrypted messaging service (Mudita Chat? :smiley: ) could be included in the next Mudita phone? As I understand, that Pure is meant to be a fully internet-free device.

2 Likes

I, my for my part, support the totally internet-free and therefore messenger-free version of Mudita Pure. That is one of its main selling points in my opinion. A Mudita “Impure”, aka: internet-able Mudita phone could be a nice project for the future.

4 Likes

correct has no wifi or data i like that we can have 1 company out of many doing an offline phone

6 Likes

its to late the phone is shipping and the hardware they chose cant do internet lets have 1 phone be internet free there are tons and tons with internet i just want this 1 to stay internet free .

9 Likes

^ I second that!

7 Likes

Would you entertain Briar Project? It uses Bluetooth and Wifi to be able to send messages. Just a lot more secure than using SMS and Cellular Calls. It’s truly decentralized way of communication but you need a lot of phones using it for it to truly function.

I need signal for my work with a non-profit overseas. I’m looking to use the Mudita Pure, but will dual phone either until this happens, or I switch back to the Pixel… I’m a believer, but this is just part of my reality. Thanks for hearing from us, and we know you’d love to be able to wave the magic wand too, but I still wanted to voice my support for the signal integration…

4 Likes

Maybe instead of implementing every protocol separately there could be implementation of Matrix open source project that publishes the Matrix open standard for secure, decentralised, real-time communication.
And then users could connect to any network with existing bridges: Bridges | Matrix.org

2 Likes

@Dobroslaw_Zybort Interesting take. It does make sense because our Community is all over the world & different communicators are popular in different areas.

1 Like