Pure not working on Talkmobile UK

Well, my phone has arrived and after putting my Talkmobile SIM in, the Mudita Centre recognises it as Talkmobile but says the network is unavailable.

I’m getting a new SIM from Talkmobile and will see what happens.

1 Like

Update - trying to change the APN settings was not possible. After I typed everything in that the Talkmobile agent gave me, it then didn’t save but reverted to the basic one. The agent also asked if the phone was unlocked but I assured her it was.

The values given were:
Kindly open the phone settings, then tap Mobile network then kindly look for Access Point Names, and please make sure to turn off the wi-fi and turn on the mobile data then please add a new APN and insert the following fields as they are, and kindly leave any field that wasn’t mentioned blank.
Name – Talkmobile
APN - talkmobile.co.uk
Proxy - 212.183.137.12
Port – 8799
Username – wap
Password – wap
Server: blank
MMSC - http://mms.talkmobile.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12
MMS Port – 8799
MCC 234
MNC 15
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: unspecified
MVNO type: none
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type - If given a choice, select internet+mms, if the keyboard appears enter *
If not giving you these options, and a list of choice appeared instead; kindly choose: Default.

But these weren’t available. Nor was a choice of networks for me to use. They still think the phone is locked. They are thus refusing to send out a new SIM card to me.

2 Likes

@davidault Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. Maybe @Bartosz_sp2fet can help here?

Hi @davidault ,
I think that APN settings have nothing in common with your issue. Moreover, actually APN settings in Pure are not used by the modem, so I believe they won’t give you any change.
Please make sure your SIM card is not data only and you can make a standard 3G/2G calls from it - VoLTE is currently very partial supported by our OS

2 Likes

I’ve moved it from my Nokia 301 block phone over to the Pure. I got the SIM last November, can make 3G calls and so forth.

1 Like

Alright, so could you please send logs via Mudita Center then? We’ll have to take a look at network logs to be able to find out what the issue really is.
Please, give us also your serial number to find quicker your ticket :wink:

1 Like

I will do so!

2 Likes

OK, sending logs now. It has today started to recognise the network, but signal is extremely low and I can only phone on 2G…

I’ll keep monitoring.

1 Like

The fact that it runs on 2G for the phone calls probably has the following background:

I was also surprised at first, but I think it’s a good thing. Nevertheless, it would be nice if Voice over LTE were possible if 2G is switched off. 3G is already switched off here.

2 Likes

That’s a really good feature, thanks for pointing it out!

3G is switching off here next year…

As far as I know, 2G won’t be shut down like 3G in the nearest future - 3G is mainly used for data transfer, which 4G is replacing. Many devices (e.g. measurement or remote data acquiring devices) still use a 2G modem to send a few bytes of data - imagine replacing all radio energy meters and similar devices if the 2G would be shut down any soon…

2 Likes

While automatic use of lowest freq sounds great, its not always the strongest signal. Since 3G will be out of picture could this be changed to user select or selecting one with strongest signal?

1 Like

@RasVoja Our team is looking into this. Also, allowing the user to manually choose their signal.

2 Likes

Thanks. Most welcome feature and battery life saviour

1 Like

I think this option would help most of us. Then you can decide for yourself whether you want to accept a lower signal strength for a lower SAR value or whether you would rather have a better signal strength :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Given that 31 December 2022 will be when the final major USA carrier (Verizon Wireless) shuts down 3G, and given that the USA no longer has 2G, it would be nice if people using the Mudita Pure in the USA could choose the band within 4G/LTE (e.g., 2, 4, 5, 12, or one of the many others supported by Pure) that gives them the most bars (or if the Pure could do that for those people).

3 Likes