Modita Pure impression

I just ordered the light phone 2 for 300 canadian and they threw in a case for free. 115 dollars savings…give it and the punkt a shot for a week and decide on one

1 Like

@marko Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an extensive post. We really appreciate people’s dedication to a technologically mindful lifestyle and we are so thankful that many of you have included us as part of that journey.

About T9- our team is working on it. As we communicated previously, we plan on releasing it in the 3rd QTR of this year.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:
I am really looking forward to T9.

I tested the Pure a bit more today on day 1 after the update.
SMS are going out and so far they are arriving cleanly. No idea if this will continue or if the problem of mixed SMS from different senders has been solved. Maybe it was also due to the problem of importing contacts? I created all the contacts manually the day before yesterday.

As for calls…
The good thing is that I haven’t had any disconnections. But the quality of the calls is, well…
I tested the whole thing here at home in the flat and on the balcony. 2 bars of signal strength. When I make a call, it still shows the 2 bars (or on the balcony, rarely 3 bars) and LTE. Then it immediately goes to 2G and 1 or sometimes no bars. Of course, the call quality is not that great with no bars or one bar and there are often dropouts. I was able to make calls for 15 minutes at a time without interruption, but it was not a pleasure.
Then on the company premises. Here I have full signal strength or 3 bars. Conmically, this is the only corner in the city where I have such good reception. Maybe because it’s an industrial area and there are many transmission masts there. I don’t know.
In any case, I made a call here too. Again, LTE then immediately switched to 2G and signal strength immediately drops to 1-2 bars. And of course the call quality also suffers.

What is the reason that I can’t make calls via LTE? Even if I have a good signal strength with LTE?
Do I have to enter anything else in the APN settings? But this is actually only for surfing the internet, isn’t it?

As I read it in Pure under the settings and the info on SAR, there are two antennas. And these receive better, depending on the high or low band. The software is also written in such a way that it reduces the power where it is not needed in order to reduce the SAR value. Have I understood this correctly?
Then it should be possible to adjust this in the software. Of course, the SAR value is one of the main reasons why I bought the Pure, but I want to be able to make reasonable calls. And if I have four bars of LTE, it can’t switch down to 1 bar of 2G during the call. That doesn’t make any sense.

Does it make sense to write down these problems here or should I report them via the Mudita Centre with a log file?
I don’t want to write my fingers to the bone here, and then it won’t be forwarded at all :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Rejoiced too soon. I just received another text message in which the sentences were mixed up. Too bad…

3 Likes

The dot or the LP don’t make sense to me. Then I could have used one of my Nokias. They work fine with great reception and signal quality. But I’m mainly interested in the low SAR value in connection with the e-ink display, and of course I’m just taken with Mudita. The story behind it and all that. I can identify with that. And then there’s the open source idea.

6 Likes

Since noon yesterday, there has been a change. Outside in the open 3-4 bars of signal strength. Phone calls are possible without problems. I am well understood and understand the person I am talking to very well. However, it still switches immediately from LTE to 2G.
Today I tested it again while walking around here in the neighbourhood and again 3-4 bars of signal strength and very good call quality. But again 2G instead of LTE.

At home in the flat and on the balcony I still only have 1-2 bars and calls are difficult. Something seems to be interfering with or shielding the signal. Maybe the thermal insulation of the house. But that’s fine with me. The less radiation comes into my flat. And here I can be reached via the landline phone anyway. The Pure is mainly for on the road.

I have no idea why it suddenly works so well, but it can stay that way. Add voice over LTE at some point and I’m happy (not because of the quality, but in case 2G is switched off here).

3 Likes

I just thought again about the LTE/2G problem and discovered the following on the website:
“With the user’s health in mind, Pure always chooses the lowest spectrum available to limit radiation.
The module supports all currently used generations: 2G, 3G and LTE standards at the same time.”

That would mean that the Pure automatically selects 2G because that is the lowest frequency here in Germany and that is good for health. I think that’s really very good :slight_smile:
Since 3G has already been switched off here, that would mean that if 2G is also switched off here, the Pure would automatically use LTE because that would be the lowest frequency. Is that right and is it future-proof, so to speak?
LTE will not be switched off so quickly.

3 Likes

@marko I’m going to bump up the text message issue to the devs. Have you submitted your logs to Mudita via Mudita Center? Please do so, if you have not done it already. Also, can you please give me the serial number for you phone?

1 Like

Hello Urszula,
the serial number is 25794950084841.
I have already forwarded the logs via the Mudita Centre.
Thanks for your effort :slight_smile:

1 Like

@marko Thanks for sending the logs & giving us your serial nr.
I’ve forwarded everything to the devs.

Again, a quick addendum. The SMS problem is really very pronounced and I hope that will be fixed with the next update. Currently I am not really reachable with the Mudita via SMS in an emergency.
If I have the Pure in offline mode at noon and then turn it on, messages that should come in during this time, often arrive only the next morning. Messages (that are longer than a standard sms) are still often barely readable because the content is jumbled or even mixed with the content of other sms.
I had the following case last week that annoyed me a lot.
My wife always writes me a short SMS when she has arrived well at work. On this one day there was no message from her. Also in the lunch break then no message. Since I can not use my phone at work (only in the break), I was totally worried that something happened. Only in the evening then the redeeming call and the question whether because their SMS had not arrived. These then arrived the next day.
We have now exchanged the numbers of the phones at work for emergencies, but that should not be the purpose if you have a cell phone.
So currently, in an emergency, the Pure is unfortunately not usable, at least as far as SMS is concerned. I really hope for the next update, because I don’t want to give the Pure away. It has contributed so much to my current developments to a more mindful life.

3 Likes

I had same issue which is reason I returned the phone. I got separated from my wife and kids on a vacation and my phone was useless when I needed it…to much cutting in and out of a connection and then entirely too long dead periods which is why I went back to the light phone which I owned a year ago.

3 Likes

Hi @marko

I had the same problem with strange number formats when importing contacts from a .vcf file. I fixed it by doing a factory reset of the phone (to quickly delete all contacts) and manually re-entering my contacts, which was tedious but it now stores the numbers in the correct format and therefore it recognises SMS messages from contacts correctly.

The problem with SMS messages getting split up and mixed in with messages from other people is still happening after the MuditaOS 1.3.0 update.

I have reported both of these issues to Mudita support, so I guess they are working on them.

Cheers,
Sean

1 Like

Today I break the “attempt” with the Mudita Pure for now and use another phone until the next update (which hopefully brings improvement).
I had now again very often the problem that SMS did not arrive at all or very late, and that SMS from different senders arrived mixed together. Then today again two times the connection broke down. I had 3 bars signal, and suddenly the signal branched an X. Only a restart helped to get a connection again. On the way home the same. When I went for I had 3 bars, and when I arrived home an X.
This is simply not a state. Please don’t get me wrong, as I’ve said many times before, I love Mudita and their philosophy, and I’m so thankful that I got away from the smartphone through Pure, it just does so much good, but when I carry a cell phone I want it to work. If I can’t read text messages because I don’t know which sentence is from which sender, and if I don’t get important messages until the next day, or calls are lost because there’s suddenly no reception, even though you don’t move from the spot, then I can’t use the Pure like that, as much as I would like to.

I also have the problem that it hangs from time to time (although not as often as before the last update). The screen freezes then, for example, when writing SMS and you have to remove the battery and reinsert to get it running again.
I have already sent the log files and hope very much that with the next update at the problems what changes.
I really want to continue using the Pure and the Light Phone or the Punkt are not an alternative for me.

Maybe Mudita should have waited another half year with the release of the Pure. I can now understand that some users feel like beta testers. If it had been communicated that way, it would have been something else.
I had also intended to continue to use the Pure and contribute to the improvement by writing bug reports and sending the log files, but if I am not reasonably available, then it just does not work.

So please, get with the next update the SMS problem under control and ensures stability in the signal or creates a possibility that you decide for yourself whether you value a low SAR value or a higher signal strength. The SAR value is very important to me, but it’s no use if there are problems with the signal.

And please do not understand this as complaining, but as constructive criticism. I just want (like so many others) that the Pure is properly usable in everyday life.
I want nothing more than to be able to use this great minimalist phone properly.

5 Likes

You have absolutny right Marko. I sometime feel like beta tester too. The Pure Phone is great but need more time to be 100 % usefully. Now i must have both pure and smartphone in the pocket, only that way i have certitude that i will be in touch with my family and friends.

3 Likes

This morning I wanted to give Pure another chance because I really missed it. I have to say that I really like this phone. It’s great in the hand, just the right size, and it gives me peace of mind. I don’t know why, but I don’t feel that way with other phones.
So sim card in, went out on the balcony so it can connect better, and what happens? First two bars of signal, then three, then back down to two, then it only had one and then the X was there.
So restart. After some time two bars. Then I had to request an SMS Tan to access my pay stubs. Unfortunately, we can only do that online.
But no SMS came. Requested again, again no SMS. A third time, still nothing.
So I switched off the Pure, inserted the SIM card into the Fairphone 3 and immediately had full reception. SMS requested and within 3 seconds it was there.
That really can’t be. I really want to use the Pure, but it’s just not meant to be.

Is there now an approximate date for the next update?
I keep hoping…

3 Likes

Ok, so apparently there is no date for the next update yet…

I tested the Mudita Pure again today for the whole day, and compared to usual (1-3 bars signal) I had 3-4 bars signal for about half an hour. Shortly thereafter, the Pure no longer responds and restarted. Then appeared on the display not as usual the possibility to enter the Sim Pin, but a CME error. The exact message I do not remember, but there was still the number 0 in the message.
Then I manually switched to Sim 2 and back to Sim 1 and I could enter the pin all at once.

I’m surprised at the strong fluctuations in reception. And it is always places where I was before with the Pure.
Sometimes the reception is ok, then very good, sometimes a bar or even an X… It is curious.
Oh yes, two SMS that I was supposed to receive were of course swallowed again and did not find their way to me.
I have tested the last few days again with the Fairphone 3+, I had everywhere stable reception. And the Vodafone network is really very well developed here.

2 Likes

@marko Thanks for this feedback. I will bring this up with the team again. We had a similar situation with two other Pure user who lived in the same area (by coincidence) and each one had different signal strengths. So this type of situation definitely needs to be looked into.

1 Like

I can tell you from personal experience this is the Mudita experience. All their videos make it seem like the phone works seamlessly but it was sent out to the public not properly tested. I can tell you just getting a refund from this company for my phone has been a frustrating experience.

2 Likes

Marko, thank you for all your writing here. I’ve read them all. Unfortunately, I experience precisely the same problems here in Sweden. I really like the philosophy behind the phone, but as I can’t rely on it working, I will go back to my iPhone and put Mundita Pure in my desk drawer for now. I really hope that I will be able to use it in the future.

1 Like

@marko The next update is scheduled for some time next month. You can read about the release notes on our support page:

3 Likes