Privacy-Conscious, Ethical Smartphone

4 Likes

This looks very interesting but… The Librem 5 USA costs an eye-watering $1,999 compared to the $699 price tag of the China version.
I’m curious how what our Mudita Community thinks about the price. Would you guys be willing to pay so much for a product that’s NOT made in China?

3 Likes

:exploding_head: why so expensive?

3 Likes

Rob Braxman recently posted a video review of it and essentially said that it is NOT ready for prime-time. He recommends it at this point only for those who like to experiment.

3 Likes

@valleygirl It’s true that anytime electronics are made OUTSIDE of China, they tend to be much more expensive than what comes out of the People’s Republic. We often had to go into details about why Mudita Pure cost what it cost because we would get questions about why it was so expensive, in addition to comments about how they can get a $50 Nokia to get the job done.
That said, at $2000, that’s pretty steep. I think it’s more expensive than an iPhone.

3 Likes

The problem I saw is that Purism has extremely long delays for the delivery of regular (non-USA) Purism 5 phones (up to 3 years!). The hardware seems a bit dated too for what is essentially meant to be a desktop replacement with the Convergence feature. I was considering buying it in the past, but it seems like they can’t be trusted with fulfilling orders. Although from what I’ve heard, they seem to have a pretty great software optimization - something that’s lacking in other linux phone based projects.

At least for me, the alternative is a Fairphone (repairable, ethically sourced materials) with a privacy-respecting OS (such as /e/OS). I’m currently not in the need of a new phone (I hope that my current one lasts for at least 5 more years), maybe by that time some more viable options will become available. Or maybe I’ll go back to a dumbphone again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This seems to be the problem when you try to make a phone from scratch. Mudita Pure also took about 3 years to fully deliver the devices.

3 Likes

However, the most significant difference between Purism and Mudita is that Mudita was much more transparent with the delays and issues, whereas Purism remained silent and acted that everything was perfect.

3 Likes

So, they did not update their backer every month as to what was happening with the development of the phone? I guess for, me, it’s obvious that you have to be very clear about what is happening because I wrote monthly updates for those years during production. I think if you’re asking people to pay this type of money, you should offer updates.

2 Likes

They did communicate at first… but after encountering some problems with the manufacturing, the delays got longer and longer with every update. That would not be a problem for backers, if they could get refunds reliably and be given realistic shipping estimates. I would be pretty frustrated too, if I had paid for a phone and did not know when it would be shipped to me (this year? in 2 years? 3?).

Purism makes many great products , but this project negatively impacted their reputation. All because of a lack of transparency.

3 Likes

@john_dumpling: I believe that Rob Braxman said in his review of the Purism phone that he waited something like three years to receive it.

One of his big take-aways about that phone is that Linux, unlike any flavor of Android (Google Android, LineageOS, etc.), does not have sophisticated battery-management functionality. This explains why that phone’s battery dies relatively quickly.

4 Likes

When you simplify your life, you might not need most of the possibilities apps / internet give you, certainly in the mobile sphere. Personally in mobile mode, not home, travel or at work or visiting someone, all really need is normal watch for the time, and simple phone for call and texting for urgent contacting to or from me.
At work, having work email is available for occasional private messsage.
Anything else can wait when returning from home.
Librem a USA based company, fall under US law, gagging orders etc. Price is much very high. If your android apps are the problem, just do not use them and look for alternatives. Do you really have to use what you are using? Will the world stop turning?
Some decades ago even a mobile phone did not exist, but we are boiled as a frog in water. Jump out and swim in the real pond.
Another solution may be to have a smarthphone, but only use them if you really must use it and there are no alternatives. Then after this unique use, put it away or put it out, like you do your computer. Yes a smartphone can be shut down completely! Use calls and text on a different dumbphone.
Separating is at least in my case a good solution.
Some side effects are that you do not directly answer you privatemails or whatspp on your smartphone. You may skip this and use a computer with Linux OS for answering too more comfortable at home.
My family and most important contacts know I work this way and have no expectations. In case some emergency arises they can call me on and / or text me.
Since this is just my case and everybody has different demands, plan your digital world yourself carefully.

2 Likes