One feature I would love to see added

Thank you for creating such a great device! I only need QWERTY keyboard. That is essential. I have to text a lot of friends and students for my business and T9 is not acceptable as it takes way too long to compose a message. I completely disagree with many comments here. people are so against getting separate standalone devices. Simply have a separate alarm clock. Separate gps device . Kindle e-reader for books etc. paper calendar and paper notebook, separate MP3 player etc. thank you! So much again for making the world a better place and giving more options to people who care about distraction free life.

4 Likes

Thank you for your nice comment and your feedback! We will pass it on to our R&D team. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be so great! Especially when you get around with public transportation a lot.

4 Likes

It would be nice (I mean great) to have the ability to record calls from the phone.
I really love the project.

1 Like

Iā€™m way faster with t9 than a full keyboard. One of the major selling points for me! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi I have been following this project for a long time & was just trying to pre-order a few days ago. As a young adult and trying to minimize electronics and to spend $300 I really feel like a gps is needed. Coming from one of the smallest islands it was more friendly and no gps was ever needed. But now that im in the US - gps is mandatory; whether it be to get interviews, events etc. sometimes you have make a stop to the nearest gas station etc.

my car is empty as i found there are less break ins when they see nothing to steal. I felt great having stopped using those tom gps systems. The mudita pure seems perfect I am now just hesitant because now i will need to have yet another gadget.

My second concern is that there is no white color being made? It was advertised from day one with the white skin and from reading it seems there will just be gray & black? Please confirm so i can rearrange my mind to finalize this purchase.

2 Likes

Hi @Sam_Sammy, the colour youā€™re describing as white has always been light grey. It has always been referred to as ā€˜Pebble Grayā€™ by Mudita and never as ā€˜whiteā€™. You are correct that Mudita Pure also comes in black and is referred to as ā€˜Charcoal Blackā€™.

There will not be GPS on Mudita Pure. If you use Mudita Pure as a secondary device when you reach your destination, it may help you to spend more time offline. I hope this helps with your decision. Either way, we do appreciate you sharing your feedback with us on the forum.

Thank you for the speedy response and explaining about the colors. My plan is to switch from iphone to mudita as my primary phone because as much as I am an apple lover these new updates are very unappreciated as it relates to privacy and boundaries - with them forcing pop ups of certain features within your basic phone use.

As I need to put my mental health first this year I guess itā€™s not so bad to revert to a regular gps. Really looking forward to this phone!!!

1 Like

Group messaging please! I love the lack of camera/gps/etc. But not being able to participate in group texts would be a bummer.

3 Likes

I agree a dedicated camera would be better Like you said the temptation to take out your phone and take pictures and videos so that we can later enjoy it instead of enjoying it in the moment is very high Iā€™m actually very happy that it does not have a camera that is one of the reasons I chose to go for it

2 Likes

For all who need GPS but want to back this phone, here is a project that works in a jiffy that Iā€™ve used on my basic phone:

You text this phone number ā€œdrive from X to Yā€ and it gives you text based directions. Not 100% ideal, but great if you really need it! (You can also text for info on a place, like if you need a business # to call.) Note: if you use it, please support with donations as they offer it free but it costs to run it.

Let me know if this helps!

3 Likes

I created an account mostly to post in this thread, and to keep an eye on future products. My must-haves include:

Need

• GPS (especially for public transit since I moved to PDX and sold my car - this is the #1 reason I couldnā€™t use this phone; even with a GPS unit, most donā€™t come with public transit directions - Garmin recently discontinued their CityXplorer transit maps; also Iā€™d use it for looking up restaurants, etc)
  • Text (w/group messages, T9, and good emoji support)
  • Bluetooth (Good enough to work with AirPods)
  • Very simple, basic calendar support & sync (e.g. w/Google)
  • Contact sync (w/Google)
  • Hotspot
  • User-replaceable battery
  • Phone, obviously lol

Want

• Audio playback (love that FLAC is supported, wouldnā€™t mind some form of podcast support)
  • Authenticator app (works offline, more secure than SMS - nearly all my accounts use 2FA at this point)
  • Ride hailing (Uber/Lyft)
  • To Do list or Notes app (not a dealbreaker, but Iā€™d use it extensively)
  • Audio notes to self (especially handy without the to do / notes app, but still not a dealbreaker)
  • WiFi calling support for poor service areas

• Camera (I think itā€™d be neat to have NO playback of the image, either - like film, all over again. Only thing you could do is sync it to a computer to view or share it. I think Leica and a few others have made digital cameras with no displays now. Itā€™d be like that, but way cheaper lol. I wouldnā€™t even mind no viewfinder - maybe a wide angle lens so you could just point, shoot the general area, hold still until you hear the shutter sound, and thatā€™s that - no obsessively reviewing photos, youā€™d have to wait until you get home)
  • SMS support (even if it looks terrible, I just want to be able to have an idea of what they sent me; auto forwarding to email would also work)
  • Email (Torn about this one. Iā€™d mostly want it for displaying ticket QR codes / barcodes for venues / flying. A simple way to sync QR codes to the screen, or upload/sideload B&W images to it would work too)
  • LOVE the idea of the meditation timer, though it isnā€™t necessary for me to buy this

Just wanted to chime in. I want this phone SO BAD, but Iā€™d basically have to carry my smartphone around for transit directions, plus either swap the SIM out, maintain two plans, or figure out if USB-C to Lightning tethering is even an option? Not practical for meā€¦ :frowning_face:

Iā€™m tempted to buy it as a backup phone, or just to support development in the hopes of a future release, though. Itā€™s so close to perfect. GPS and I probably wouldnā€™t have even bothered to post, and instead would be throwing my money at it haha. Iā€™d have switched all my accounts off 2FA for this phone with transit directions, for sure.

5 Likes

I saw this on Reddit, very interesting.
Thanks for sharing, it might help some people!

1 Like

Thank you for such an informative list, itā€™s really useful feedback!

This is an interesting thread. So much of whatā€™s shared here have been my own thoughts. I go back and forth on many of these things. For me, one thing I value and enjoy is the process of letting go, and detachment from things I think I need, and the joy of realizing that I donā€™t. The empowerment and lightness comes from it. Thatā€™s why I like the concept of this phone, and minimalism in general.

I realize that not everyone will share this view with me.

But my daily awareness is around the impermanence of this physical world, so thereā€™s also a constant voice that speaks to me in the back of my mind that all these things that we think we canā€™t live without, one day we have to let go of all of it when we die anyway, along with all the people we love, our beliefs and experiences, our personality, etc.

I find it to be a refreshing practice - and it is practice - to challenge myself to let go of things non-essential, and to constantly re-evaluate the things that I think are essential. Like: Sometimes I look up directions in advance, and go there from memory alone, and I leave my phone at home. Just to stretch myself. If itā€™s complex like going to some new place on public transit and I think I might forget, I might write the directions down on a corner of a journal Iā€™ll be taking with me just to be safe.

Itā€™s uncomfortable to do this. Sometimes it even ends up being mildly inconvenient, but I see this as a good thing. Because there is also a feeling of liberation and accomplishment that comes from breaking the dependency. Proving to myself that I donā€™t need it after all.

And if my phone were ever to die, which it has so many times, I donā€™t feel lost and helpless or stranded - because I am more likely to know the way. It helps me learn.

Thereā€™s also the emotional attachment to stuff. The comfort or temporary joy of scrolling through Instagram or whatever on the train rather than being forced to be present and feel the undesirable feeling of BOREDOM in a situation where I canā€™t stimulate myself with technology, or delay my social media or work email update for a few hours. It brings up an opportunity to look at my emotional relationship with the people who demand that I be On all the time, and my boundaries with my work relationships, and whether thatā€™s okay with me (I decided a long time ago that thatā€™s not the job I wanna have or the life I wanna live, and communicate that if itā€™s a requirementā€¦ for some, that may not be the case, but then, if you are wanting this phone, I wonder if there is something to consider shifting or addressing at work? Being on all the time is stressful.)

There can also be a sense of loss that goes along with letting go of attachments, or changing patterns that have grown comfortable, that people generally try to avoid ever needing to feel. Discomfort, emptiness or the space between activities we associate with pain or undesirableness. But I find that the loss feeling, or the too-muchness of emptiness, is temporary and the sense of freedom from letting go and being open to change is much more permanent. It opens up even more joy and new space to enjoy life at a higher level, far beyond these temporary attachments to comfortable habits and preferences and desires. I think itā€™s kind of fun and interesting to explore the discomfort with awareness and give myself the chance to feel what itā€™s like to be limited or do things a more primitive way. It cultivates presence of the current moment and appreciation and inner strength. A new challenge that can improve me or test me.

Itā€™s kind of like going camping or backpacking, packing a long trip into a tiny carry-on, using a physical map instead of Waze or Google Maps, baking your own bread instead of eating out, or playing a video game without cheat codes. Thereā€™s something very satisfying about it. Itā€™s habit or the lazy ease of convenience that creates these preferences and desires. Looking at attachments consciously (like my self-declared mandatory dependence on GPS to survive human existence in the world) I almost always find that I can live happily with very small adjustments to my way of living or operating to work around a thing, and itā€™s really the convenience, aversion to change, and learned laziness that ends up trapping me in unnecessary dependence.

In the end, what I know is that itā€™s our desires and the ease of having them fulfilled by companies - which is a privilege of our modern world - which weighs me down and keeps me needing more than I really truly do. And life is always presenting new ways to show me how to let go, like when my phone dies in the middle of the city with no charger (happened so many times, lol) and I have no memory about the route I took to get here, etc.

Thereā€™s always a way I get home. Itā€™s just not automatic. It requires an innovative approach, and sometimes it requires new learning but then I learn and grow, too.

IDK, just some thoughts. Not all will agree on this.

5 Likes

I think I saw that the phone will have a random quote program. If thatā€™s so it would be certainly nice to have a way to add my own packs, similarly to the old fortune program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_(Unix)
That way I could have a way to draw random words for language learning. Or put in there something like the text messages from the Oblique Strategies cards, which would actually make it a very useful tool for creativity.

2 Likes

You can download spotify songs in advance with TunesKit Spotify Music Converter and cast the songs to this product though.

Predictive text, everything else youā€™re doing Iā€™m totally on board with.

3 Likes

I use the word barcode because QR code is only one implementation of a visual, machine-readable code.

In my opinion having Email to have a barcode on the phone is like using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut. IMHO the better approach would be, like akrabu suggested, an upload or sideload functionality to get the Barcode on the screen. Hence if it will be implemented it could be integrated in the synchronisation mechanism.

Barcodes are used for

• train tickets
  • cinema tickets
  • concert tickets
  • sending packages
  • pickup packages
  • and much more

I think it would be totally fine to first synchronize the phone with the laptop and then have the Barcode on the phone. That what cover the main functionality of barcodes. It is an important functionality to reduce the dependency on a smartphone or printing out barcodes.

I think right now the IT team has other stuff to think about right now but at a later stage, perhaps 2021, there could be such a feature.

Here is a suggestion of the feature development:

1. stage
    One manually extracted barcode as an 2-color GIF or PNG can be synchronized to the phone.

2. stage
    Multiple manually extracted barcode as an 2-color GIF or PNG can be synchronized to the phone. Additionally besides the barcode images on the screen the filename without extension is shown to distinguish between different barcodes.

3. stage
    Additionally: The synchronisation application extracts automatically barcodes from given image files and converts them to an optimized format for the phone.

4. stage
    Additionally: The synchronisation application extracts automatically barcodes from given PDFs and converts them to an optimized format for the phone.

I wish all people at Mudita good months till the shipping and hope you find time for yourselves too.

I contributed to this amazing project and will be really happy to see the phone 2021 in my hands :blush:

Best regards
lessismore

5 Likes

The problem with complete barcode support is when you have non-static barcodes. This is considered a security measure against counterfeiting. For example, when you open your ticket app to attend an event at a venue, the barcode is generated at that moment according to some algorithm based on the time you opened that app (a lĆ  2FA). If you made a screenshot to print that barcode or forward it by MMS, it wonā€™t be valid after a few minutes have passed. I donā€™t know what percentage of vendors use this, but I have seen it being used fairly often in Canada and USA. If even 1/5 ticket vendors use this, it could be a significant hurdle against implementing such a feature.

1 Like