Mudita Pure Tested During Livestream

I’ll include my thoughts and feedback later on this post.

2 Likes

That was fairly scathing, but an honest first impression.

Mudita, what’s the go ? Some of these issues mentioned are inexcusable.

• crashing on certain SIMs ?
  • call quality seems very poor ?
  • speaker volume very soft ?
  • SMS failures and garbled text (ASCII decoding issues) ?

How can Mudita staff and beta testers have tested this and not experienced these issues ?
Especially around the speaker, we were promised a top-notch speaker and the phone is marketed this way too. However watching this video and reading most of the other forum reviews, it sounds like the speaker is pretty crappy, and the ear speaker even worse.

Lets hope these essential functionalities of the phone get fixed ASAP.

Personally I’m still holding high hopes for the device, and still looking forward to receiving mine. The real test will be how Mudita addresses these essential issues in the coming months.

6 Likes

@rumpole & @Jose_Briones I have passed on all the mentioned concerns to our tech team. As it was mentioned in another thread, the issue with certain SIM CARDS can be fixed by getting a new sim card from your provider. We understand that may not be ideal, however, that does seem to fix the issue.

2 Likes

Well, that was a tough livestream video to watch for multiple reasons, I haven’t quite experienced two hours of anything like that.

• Did anyone from Mudita bring a Pure over to the States and sit down with multiple SIM cards for our networks and test?
  • Was the intention to produce a European focused device first and then with it being unlocked think that maybe it would be operational in the States without too many software changes?

There is strong competition in this space, much more than when the Pure was announced. LP2 and MP02 are ironing out the problems and fast in this price point.

Not only does the software seems to be very challenging, the logistics and getting the phone out to customers seems to be too.

Hoping for the best for Mudita and the Pure, like many, I will be waiting to see if the problems get fixed before getting one, as they are an expensive proposition, especially in their current form.

1 Like

I watched Jose’s review and I understand why He is little confused right now.
I would agree with him about build quality. Its definitely very solid phone. Looks good, feels good in the hand. Worth every cents (don’t forget about: Where does the price of Mudita Pure come from?
https://mudita.com/community/blog/where-does-the-price-of-mudita-pure-come-from/) and we should show our support to Mudita - on kickstarter there is plenty of projects which failed to deliver.
I’m lucky to not live in the US. Its great country but your sim/network/providers it’s all f*** up :smiley: I understand that Mudita is to small company to support all neccesary certifications. US realy don’t support open source phones. (harder to track, harder to controll)

On mudita software side I see couple of bugs. EG25G modem is very good if you correctly write software (I remember my Pinephone -it was realy shi* when I got it but now it is almost daily driver).
I also reboot my phone every day (like old blackberries) and it works a bit better.
I think Mudita team will fix most of the bugs in next software update.
I’m used various dumb phones and so far the sound quality is best of all (used 2G or 3G phones).
If its harman speakers and mic we should see better audio (maybe some codecs? maybe its worth to contact pinephone developers to ask for some tips about setting up modem?)
I believe its work in progress… and with every software updates we will see a better product. (I’m a entry/junior developer and know how difficult is to write OS)
Is there any page where We can add issues to solve or suggestions?

P.S.
I never meditated … and since getting the phone: 2 sessions :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes. I believe that the phone will improve and that in Europe it will be a good phone. But for the US, it will probably be super limited for a long time if not forever. EG25G still has problems even on the Pinephone and with AT&T now blocking devices left and right, the Pure in the US is a device for people who want to be isolated and not disconnected. Isolated because of the carriers, but isolated nonetheless.

2 Likes

Hi, you can always post your issues on our GitHub page :slight_smile:

1 Like

@andrzej Thanks for taking the time to write your feedback- As someone who grew up in the US, I know how crazy the US cell phone market is. I remember when I used to visit Poland, before moving here, I would see people having phones from brands I’VE NEVER HEARD OF.
I particularly remember the LG PRADA smartphone & I WANTED IT. Yes, it was a PRADA collaboration with LG. It was not available at any carrier in the US & I had to have it. Well, I got it, went back to Chicago & that bugger was very buggy. :smiley:
Like I mentioned in a previous post, the US cell phone market is tightly controlled by the carriers. It doesn’t provide a lot of choice for consumers & they don’t like what’s available with their carrier.

1 Like

I’m watching this livestream and am really puzzled by this issue with ASCII decoding for SMS. I’m a software engineer myself, not experienced with low-level mobile programming, but… how did THAT happened?

1 Like

This’ll be interesting…

1 Like

ASCII decoding has been recently investigated as we indeed found the issue - it is being fixed right now, so the issue won’t happen in the future :slight_smile:
EDIT: to be clear, we have found the issue with a little bit different case, but it is related to the one that @Jose_Briones had and we’ll investigate it further.

4 Likes

Just wanted to add in here that the access we all have to the development team and community team at Mudita should be commended. Thank-you for allowing us to have access to you and for all of your efforts. To know that you all are addressing issues means so much. Thanks again!

5 Likes

Agreed! This is my second experience with a crowd-funded product, and my experience here beats that other experience tremendously – in process transparency, frequency of updates, and responsiveness to customers. Thank you, Mudita!

5 Likes

@numbcoffee @kirkmahoneyphd thank you! We’re trying to address every one issue/idea that you came here with, of course taking into account our team’s capacity. Your satisfaction is the most important thing for us as you’re the person who will be (or already is) using the phone. That’s why, at least in my opinion, the communication here/ on Github is crucial. I know that sometimes it might look like we’re not addressing all of the issues/ideas that people write on the forum, but our roadmap is almost never-ending ;D
So thank you again for those warm words and hope you will stay so active all of the time - you somehow move the development further :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Agreed. Thank you.

2 Likes