Mudita Pure: New production schedule, and unfortunately - further delay

Although it stinks to have such a push back, I completely understand the need to do so. More issues could arise if these things are resolved first.
I recently had to cancel my pre-order for other financial reasons but I’m still standing with you guys.
The videos show great progress and I hope to get the phone asap when available.
Keep forward! :purple_heart:

1 Like

@artistinct We appreciate all the support & encouragement. We understand that we are asking a lot from our supporters, but we sincerely believe that we can can deliver a phenomenal product. Thanks again for standing by us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not to pile on here, but I also would have to cancel my order if Verizon isn’t supported.

I can’t really justify switching my whole family over to a new carrier just for me to get a new phone, and don’t really want to start a separate plan for myself. :’(

1 Like

@textbook_quest We totally understand. We will definitely keep everyone updated on this subject. Hopefully everything will work out, however, we do want to be transparent about all our hurdles.

1 Like

I believe in you all as well :grin::purple_heart::pray:t3:

2 Likes

@artistinct Thank you :black_heart:

1 Like

November is a great month…right before December :wink:

2 Likes

@Marek_Chorazy November is a GREAT month :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the update and your continued transparency guys. As I said in replying to Lukasz’s original notification, take all the time you need. I for one am in no hurry. When I gave Mudita money, it was without expectation that I would receive my phone any time soon. Indeed, it was without expectation that I would receive a phone at all. Such is my beleif and support for your vision and your mission. That is what it means to be a Backer.

Please, I ask you to stand strong against those who would criticize you for taking the time to build a quality product, and those who would attempt to undermine your vision of a quality, beautiful, minimalist phone.

On the issue of your production: I, for one, and in general, prioritize quality over country of origin. Therefore if it comes to a choice of lowering your original environmental rating or confering with China, I would rather you enlist China’s aid (we are all one whether we see it or not). Please consider this.

On the issue of your networks: I sincerely hope you can get with AT&T and Verizon, the two major US providers. AT&T is the oldest telephone service provider in the world, and happens to be my provider. I guess I’ll switch if I must, but I would rather not. Good luck on this!

I am with you, I believe in you, and it’s going to be ok :slight_smile:.

Sharing your journey,
Monkjeff

3 Likes

@monkjeff Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your encouragement is what truly keeps us motivated to strive towards excellence. We really appreciate all the support and want to make sure this phone is the best it can be. We do want to take advantage of the additional months to perfect the software development & make sure that once you get your phone, it’s a quality device which you’ll be excited & happy to use. We are hopeful about AT&T & Verizon, but we wanted to be upfront about the issues we are facing so that in case it doesn’t work out, we wanted our backers & supporters to be informed. Thank you again for reaching out & offering your support & encouragement.

1 Like

Go to China. T-mobile only works in cities, you should make it possible to use Verizon at least.

2 Likes

@Sid_C Thanks for joining the Mudita Community. Welcome! Just out of curiosity, why do you think China is a better production market than Europe. I would love to hear the pros & cons.

2 Likes

China is simply the worlds most advanced production hub, it has the capability to create incredibly high standard products, at very efficient costs. There is also the infrastructure to make your production green if you so wish by working with the manufacturers, they are often extremely happy to help. You can ask for secure work-spaces, ensure a high level of technical and problem solving expertise, and source parts at speeds unimaginable in Europe.
There is a beautifully made documentary on the production of hardware in China by Wired. I really hope some of the Mudita team have watched it, it talks about many European hardware start ups in China too!

China is also a wonderful place to visit, with fantastic people, culture, and, of course, food. With a history as rich, dynamic, and exciting as any. So it would make for fantastic Mudita team trips. Plus its got some brilliant philosophers, thinkers, artists, poets, and beautiful landscapes that seem to connect very well with Mudita’s brand values and identity.
The savings on the product would also lower the per unit cost of the phone and allow you to make the device more available to all, rather than what it is at the moment, which is a luxury for the solidly middle and upper classes in developed nations.
Edit: I also want to say that perhaps the one reason why I hesitated to back Mudita for as long as I did was because of its European production location, at best I was nervous about the quality of the product from inexperienced factories, at worst I was concerned it was a decision driven by a form of soft sinophobia which is sadly all too prevalent in Europe and America.
4 Likes

Please take a look at this article: https://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/viewpoint/abandoning-criticism-of-chinas-government-isnt-right-way-end-anti-asian

Concerns about producing in China are well justified and have nothing to do with sinophobia but rather with “issues” with human rights, legal rights, and labor rights.

For similar reasons we should reject clothes mass produced in Bangladesh, we should reject electronics mass produced in China.

Not that America or EU are havens of freedom, but the argument still stands…

May all beings be happy :slight_smile:

Further reading:

Wikipedias article on human rights in China:

On Sharp Eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks for the honest update!
I think there are opportuneties here to view everything as a postive, even delays!
Using this extra time to change behaviours and reduce dependencies on electronic devices, is a good preparation mentally that no single device will do for you. Even if the world breaks and make production of the Pure impossible, the real benefit from this project is if it inspires you to make an actual change and take the command of your time and life.
With that said, I really hope things go well for the Mudita team and this new schedule!

2 Likes

Will this also delay Bell?

1 Like

@Dobroslaw_Zybort Thanks for this question. The Mudita Bell is a separate project which we are working on, so this delay should not affect the Bell timeline. However, I will ask my team is there is any updates on the project & I will get back to you.

@nirvana I saw really eye-opening documentary last night about what the production costs of conventional cell phones are really all about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLHXHjpal8&t=1325s I encourage everyone to watch it.

4 Likes

Watched a few documentaries about Congo and the mining industry. Many things that needs to change. So much injustice. Heartbreaking.

1 Like

It would be great to see a report about how Mudita addresses with the Pure – to whatever extent possible – the various concerns raised in that video. I knew from reading The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels about the pollution caused by the production of solar cells. But, I was unaware until watching that video of the issues with neodymium, tantalum, etc., that cellphone makers use.

1 Like