If you set a SIM PIN, then each time you turn the Kompakt off then on, you need to type in the SIM PIN again.
On the plus side, this repetition makes it less likely you’d forget your SIM PIN.
On the minus side, it’s quite annoying to be asked this repeatedly, and it can be a major inconvenience if you’ve temporarily forgotten it.
It’s not obvious to me if this re-asking of the SIM PIN on reboot actually adds much to the security of the device; the SIM PIN protects the SIM from unauthorised use if used in another unknown device. If you already have a (OS) passcode for your authorised device, then the device and the SIM on it is already protected from unauthorised use after a reboot, and this same passcode is also useful at protecting the device whilst running after a screen lock - which the SIM PIN doesn’t do.
As far as I recall, other devices I have used cache the SIM PIN so that device is permanently authorised to use that SIM (until you change the SIM PIN, of course).
I believe this issue was solved with the MuditaOS K 1.6.1 update that was released recently. I would encourage you to update to the most recent version and see if this issue persists, Meanwhile, I will reachout to our team for some feedback.
Given that v1.6 was pulled from release because it hadn’t been adequately tested, leaving users to log numerous faults in this very forum, I will not be installing v1.6.1 until I have some assurance it won’t cause further problems.
Can you give assurance that v1.6.1 has been adequately tested before release?
iPhones and androids I’ve used have both asked for the SIM pin after rebooting the devices, I believe that’s standard behavior (at least with my physical SIM here in North America)
@Ocelot Like our friend @ArmchairSetup says that is a standard procedure on android phones. This is not related to the bug that asked for the pin when enabling/disabling offline+ switch.
However what is not standard, is not having an option to remove/edit the SIM pin on MuditaOS-K. You can find it with adb commands or using activity launcher.
Thanks. I wasn’t sure what the standard behavior was. I used (non Android) Nokia/HMD dumb phones before, and I don’t recall them asking for the SIM PIN on each reboot, but perhaps I misremembered.
Yes I know you can also change it through the code. Apparently that’s how it was done in the early 90s in Nokia and Motorola phones. (it’s that old GSM standard)
I have brought up this issue many times. AOSP had this menu they removed it.
I’ve used 3 different Nokia phones and all of them always asked for the PIN when booting. I think it’s useful for security, and I don’t really mind typing it in everytime.