MK review plus suggestions

Hi,

I’ve been using MK as my primary device for a couple weeks now and I just want to say how much more I appreciate all the small things that happen around me compared to when I used my smartphone as my only device. I still feel the need/cravings to get hold of my smartphone (it’s turned off and in a cubbard at home and only used for checking my banking apps, amazon…) and check apps I don’t have on my MK.

The overall experience has been quite challenging, coming from a sysadmin used to mature systems and quite demanding as a user when it comes to technology, but very gratifying. Getting used to not having a smartphone in our pockets is harder than expected.

The E-ink UX is amazing tbh, I didn’t expect to like it so much, the screen response is much faster than expected. Calls are clear, battery life is insane (I come from an apple device). I could go on for a while on the pros.

I would like to make a few suggestions/point out a couple of things I would like:

-In the sound menu, I think that the ring and notification volume should be two different options, not the same one, like it is atm. For example, If I needed to have a high volume on the call option to obviously not miss calls but less volume on the notification option so whenever I get a notification, the whole room doesn’t look in my direction, this would solve this problem. Sometimes I can’t put it on silent mode because i’m expecting a phonecall.

-If I call someone and I’m using cabled headphones, they can’t hear me, somethings going on with the mic. Same mic works perfectly on the recorder app and on other devices.

-I just updated to MuditaOS K 1.6.1 and the estimated battery is “about 1 day” being fully charged. Could it be it’s recalibrating after the update? Does the new version have a different battery consumption?

-It would be nice that the music widget displayed what song it’s playing rather than just the control buttons.

If I’m doing something wrong that would solve any of these problems/requests, please let me know.

Also thanks to @gezimos for all the hard work. Katapult just upgrades the whole UX. I feel like some of the things you use on katapult should just be implemented into the native OS.

I love and believe in the direction mudita is going towards with it’s device.

Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

Here is a tip for the text notfications, sideload frdriod, and from fdriod download activity manager, you can silence text notifications from there. If you want them off forever and don’t care then you can deleted activity manager off your kompakt. the notifcations will say silenced BUT you will not be able to turn them back on UNLESS you reinstall activity manger. I have done this and I love it , because I like you don’t want notifications off especially say for example I need a power nap but I still need to be reached by phone from my kids school

I actually prefer that the music widget doesn’t show the current song since it makes the UI feel more minimal. Since I have to load music onto the Kompakt anyway, I generally know which songs are playing. But I do love that InkOS and Katapult give the option for a more featured music widget for folks that prefer that.

2 Likes