Minimalism (in general)

@kirkmahoneyphd Exactly.
For me, there’s a distinction between minimalism, as a practice, when you actually own very few things, and make do with those items, without having to constantly rely on the shared economy, and the illusion of minimalism, where you actually want access to all the stuff, but you’ve decided to not own it & just share it with other people.
Like you said, someone owns this product, so if they cut your access, that’s that.

3 Likes

I love the minimalism concept. I grew up in a big city where shopping is a main form of recreation, and inevitably end up with a ton of stuff.
It is a lot of work to maintain stuff, and with moving a lot in my early adult years, I recognized the benefits of owning less. Plus, you spend less/save more! I first heard the term ‘minimalism’ before I had kids, and it was liberating to know I could raise children without acquiring all sorts of things.
I feel that as a society we keep getting more and more consumeristic. We are inundated with advertisements and It is too easy to buy things (online shopping vs having to actually go to the store…) It takes more effort to be mindful now than ever.
I avoid the stores as much as possible. It is all set up to make you want to purchase/consume. My kids are always dazzled and suddenly they want this and that when they’ve seen it at the store, whereas if they hadn’t, they wouldn’t even know these things existed.

3 Likes

I grew up like that as well.
Growing up, the mall was where we would go to hang out with friends, shop, eat, socialize etc. Then, when I turned 15, I got a job at that mall, so pretty much my whole life was that mall. Surrounded by stuff, saving my money to buy things I didn’t really need.

Now, I avoid stores as much as possible, I only go, when I need something specific, but even then, I do my research before I go. I hate crowds & dealing with pushy people.

4 Likes

Wow, I’ve missed out on some interesting conversations here.

1. In my opinion, minimalism is evolving into its market. I embraced a “minimalist” lifestyle long before the movement gained popularity. Due to personal reasons, my life was condensed into just two suitcases, and that’s the amount of “things” I aim to have in my life. For instance, I prefer to use my iPhone as an offline PDA with a camera, MP3 player, note-taking app, GPS, and a better webcam connected to my Mac rather than owning multiple devices. Extreme minimalism often leads people to discard items they need. I believe “essentialism” is a more suitable approach for me if we want to stick with labels.

2. @kirkmahoneyphd, you’re right. Apart from the usual bills, I only have Prime Video and iCloud Drive subscriptions. I’ve eliminated all redundant subscriptions, and I’m exploring options for lifetime access or one-time purchases in digital, and I don’t have any loans. I like to pay in once even if I need to wait longer to buy it. However, the concept of “ownership” can also be redundant. You may have a car, but if you don’t pay for insurance (which I liken to an in-app subscription), it can be seized by the police in some countries. Perhaps we’re already in a covert, well-designed form of communism where people share their belongings with others (companies), much like the example I mentioned.

3. @catan, your point about consumeristic mentality is spot on. Next week, we’ll witness a prime example with the launch of the new iPhone. People spend thousands of dollars yearly on a device with seemingly insignificant updates. This year, the “golden feature” appears to be introducing a USB-C port – what an innovation! People are buying brands rather than items they truly need. Of course, it’s their money, and they can decide how to spend it.

4. @galtions and @urszula, decluttering our lives can provide a profound sense of peace and freedom. I do it roughly three times a year, ensuring that I only keep what I truly need or will need, both in material possessions and digital assets like photos and account registrations. Everyone should determine their needs and decide what to let go of without compromising their well-being.

3 Likes

This is a great way to think of it @roberto .

I was at a seed swap yesterday - where people bring their excess food seeds and produce and swap it for some of what someone else has brought. The idea is to create a seed library full of diversity (literally a seed library which lives in our community library) but also to share knowledge about growing food in our local area, and encourage backyard growing and community sharing/interaction.
I can see this applying to fabrics - keeping them out of landfill by upcycling damaged clothing, old linens etc. into gardening aprons, carry-alls and other items. I am a sewer so for me this is an easy thing.

I’ve been encouraged into action now, by the discussions on this forum about minimalism, sharing knowledge, empowerment and sovereignty - so a heartfelt THANKYOU! to all of you. :heart:
Keep up the decluttering!

4 Likes

Similarly, U.S. counties that impose property taxes on homeowners’ houses can take those houses when their owners don’t pay those taxes. They never truly “own” their homes, even after they pay off their home mortgages.

2 Likes

I love this seed swap! We have started growing a lot of our own food the past few years, but haven’t yet gotten into swapping. It is inspiring to hear of others’ stories.

I keep all the kids’ old clothing. Wearable ones are passed on, worn ones become rags or kids make doll clothes out of them. Old cloth diapers are now kitchen rags. So many ways to reuse when one gets into this mindset.

I love the bartering concept in general and wish I could do more of it. This is where I feel a little lacking in my skills to make things in exchange for others’. Right now we often go to the thrift store and make use of our local Buy Nothing groups if we need anything, and pass on what we are done using. Also try to repair instead of buying new. The latter we’ve had good luck with, repairing a 25yo fridge and 15yo dryer, they are still humming along and serving us well. All this takes time to research though, and often it is easier to buy new. So I wonder how others do it.

5 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd After moving to Poland, I realized how weird the property tax system in the US is. We do have yearly property taxes in Poland, but it’s pennies compared to what we paid in the US.

2 Likes

YES! I find this easier at local market stalls and especially if you have a garage sale - gifting things away is also a LOT of fun - to see people’s faces at a garage sale when you tell them “everything in this half of the stall is free, if you can use it, please take it” is PRICELESS! :heart:

4 Likes

We do this among our neighbors/friends. Clothing swapping get-togethers, make-up, fragrance, cosmetics etc. This way, you know someone can use it & you don’t have to trash it. I’ve gotten some very good finds this way.

3 Likes

@galtions I watched this video over the weekend & it made me think of you & the discussion on this thread:

What if we stopped making so much stuff? - YouTube

It’s a very interesting take on how the global economy is centered about us basically acquiring STUFF,

1 Like

@urszula & @galtions we used to be subjects, then people, then citizens, now customers is the thing to be.

1 Like

@aleksander I think you mean CONSUMERS :slight_smile:
But that’s even more depressing than customers

Good point!
And what will we be tomorrow?
Or maybe we already are… CONTENT

1 Like

Then, DATA! :smiley:

3 Likes

As always- audio link here if you get a paywall:

This is an interesting article about changing consumer habits.

I know our economy values over-consumerism and economic growth is dependent on us buying a massive amount of stuff- however, I am wondering if perhaps since consumers are reducing spending on non-essential luxuries and conveniences and now may prioritize essential and value-based spending over impulsive or luxury purchases, there might be a shift towards more sustainable and mindful consumption, impacting lifestyle choices and habits.

On the other hand, since people are spending less on STUFF, companies are looking for other ways to make money (this could include profiting from our data).

I’m so great at being a poor consumer. I’m not a good marketing subject because I choose to reuse, fix, upcycle where I can, go out of my way to purchase second hand wherever possible, and openly reject and avoid marketing ploys! :grin:
Perhaps people like me are in an ‘unusable’ basket for these consumerism companies?
Would anyone else like to jump in the ‘unusable’ basket with me? There’s plenty of room here :smiley:

3 Likes