Meditation and Mindfulness Books

I’d love to know which mindfulness or meditation books you’ve enjoyed reading (or listening to). If anyone has any recommendations, let me know! I can add them to our resources section too.

5 Likes

Hey! Regarding Zen Buddhism (which I suppose was the thinking context when you were making designs), the main focus is on Zazen meditation itself and the importance of books is rather for further self-development and going deeper into the subject in case of interest. So here just the basic introduction to Zazen in multiple languages:

http://www.dogensangha.org.uk/downloadibpz.htm

Meditation is not reading about meditation :wink: It fully reflects main idea of this phone, as you cant read those books on it.

5 Likes

Hey @Karol_Tesar,
Excellent, thank you so much for sharing this with us. I will read through it today and I look forward to learning more about the teachings of Gudo Nishijima Roshi.

4 Likes

Excellent choice Tiffany. Maybe it would have been good to include some guided meditations as part of the phone features such as the MBSR ones.

4 Likes

“The Joy of Missing Out” is a pertinent and relaxing read! There are definitely others that delve further into the nitty-gritty analytical details of what technology and internet access does to our brains, but I haven’t actually read them.

Some other reads in this thematic vein that I’ve enjoyed:
“Writing Down the Bones”
“I Touch the Earth, The Earth Touches Me”

Really though, nothing beats the blank book that you fill yourself.

5 Likes

Hey! Thank you for this great question @anon32618512! :slightly_smiling_face:
Personally, I find “Essentialism” by Greg McKeown very relaxing and very practical too.
It shares very practical tips on how to declutter your inside and outside. It’s also very philosophical. I highly recommend!

5 Likes

Good topic @anon32618512 :slight_smile:

I enjoy Zen Speaks: Shouts of Nothingness
by Tsai Chih Chung for it’s way of presenting Zen Buddhism in the style of a comic book. Fun and easy to read but still engaging the reader in the deeper philosophy.
We used to read this book at bedtime with our kids when they were younger. They enjoyed the short stories and we could discuss the deeper meanings as well.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed “Search inside yourself” which I would recommend to everyone as the first step to understand mindfulness and dive into this world in a really easy, simple, pragmatic, secular way.

From my experience, many people think that mindfulness/meditation is about spending 8 hours in a temple, while this book presents it in a more friendly way, starting from 1-minute exercises, which is something easy to try for everyone.

3 Likes

The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation

2 Likes

The radiance sutras by lorin roche.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. What do you think about the manifestation magic review? Like in this blog https://cronicasportiva.com/ct-manifestation-magic-review

2 Likes

Miracle of mindfulness and anger, both by thich nhat hanh.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing @joanapalmer! It is an interesting find. We will take a look at the link you provided.

1 Like

As we bid goodbye to the year that was and step into another, we invite you to join us on a three day journey to ‘Reset, Refresh and Re-heart’ for 2021. Visit : https://heartfulness.org/en/refresh2021/

2 Likes

Hi, this is Misha, you check this channel to listen to some relaxing sound that may help you clear your mind and meditate easier.

Love and inspiration!

2 Likes

I’ve been reading a small book called Mindfulness on the go. It’s helped quite a bit. Also started reading Autobiography of a Yogi. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

My favourite is True Meditation, by Adyashanti.
Very short and to the point.

2 Likes

you can add manifestation as well here is link to manifestation blog: Meditation with manifestation really help you.

2 Likes

These are all really nice ideas. Lots of reading.

1 Like

Look up “forest bathing” and “walking meditation”. I try to do these as often as possible. Normally my walking meditation will be in a large woodland, the mountains, or less-frequently travelled rights of way across farmland. Basically anywhere I can minimise but not eliminate my chances of encountering other people. It’s not a meditation book as such, but as stated above, reading about meditation isn’t practicing meditation.

I have just started to read “By Oak, Ash & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism” by DJ Conway, which does naturally include plenty of meditative practices, although (as is obvious from the title) it isn’t a book on zen-type meditation! It’s very enjoyable so far.

1 Like