Installing custom build of muditaOS on MY OWN phone

As far as I understand from the docs, while the OS is opensourced, certain parts needed to build an image and flash it to own device are proprietary so, outside of Mudita organization it is not possible to build muditaOS from source and use it on own device. Is this true or did I missed some important detail?

3 Likes

@pki Thanks for your VERY interesting question!
I have to admit, I don’t have the answer to this right now, but I’ve reached out to our dev team to help me get your the right answer.
I will get back to you once I have the info :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pki Quick question about what type of phone you want to install this modified version of MuditaOS on? Is it on a phone other then Mudita Pure?

1 Like

I want to install it on Pure.

3 Likes

Pure comes with it, just keep it updated.

In general, question is nice; will OS have wider availability and licensing to other non Mudita devices?

1 Like

Sadly stock MuditaOS is very limited in functionality in terms of what I would expect from phone, so stock MuditaOS, even up to date is not enough. Luckily it is GPL’ed, so one is free to modify the OS to suit his/her purposes. Sadly there is no clear path to get those modifications back to the phone, because, as far as I understand, Mudita Pure uses non-free software components for install image and build process dependencies (private repos with restricted access).

3 Likes

@urszula were you able to find an answer for my question? If I do modifications to MuditaOS, will I be able to install such modified OS on the Pure phone I own, or will I run into problems due to dependency on some non-free software components?

2 Likes