How will Pure display a received MMS message?

We looked into this & it looks like it’s up to the network provider. Depending on the cell carrier, you should get a link to view the MMS in a browser. So in Mudita’s case, if you’re using Mudita Center & you’re connected to the internet, you can just click on the link & see the picture/MMS

2 Likes

@urszula so as I understand the only way we’ll be able to see an mms is if the carrier sends a link, otherwise it’s not possible? :thinking:

1 Like

@Wojciech_Wasiluk This is according to the info I received from @Wojciech_Cichon. How it will actually be in practice, I actually plan on testing it myself this weekend & posting a video about it :smiley: So stay tuned!

4 Likes

The Light Phone forwards the photos to your email address. I would like either this option, or to have the photos show up on my desktop app.

3 Likes

i dont think it can work as their phone dont do MMS

1 Like

To be able to send an email you have to have an Internet connection. Pure right now does not have Internet connectivity so unfortunately, we won’t be able to forward the MMS to the e-mail.
Receiving MMS is also correlated with data transfer to be precise, so that’s why there’s a problem with receiving those types of messages when you are out of the Internet connection.

1 Like

I understand why to have the internet access disabled for actual browser searches or apps, etc. I understand why not to have email on the phone. But the way the Light Phone runs the internet passively in the background seems very logical, and unobtrusive. Why not do this? Wouldn’t this also allow for syncing with the desktop app via internet, rather than relying on being plugged in? Mine and all other cell services will include data at this point.

1 Like

@urszula - Do you have anything new to share with us about how Mudita Pure will handle MMS?

I ask because I just returned from a trip with friends in which I realized that I was missing all the group messages, which use MMS, from my travel friends on my Android-7 phone with it configured to NOT receive MMS messages. Many of those group messages were about coordinating when and where we would convene each day. Fortunately, someone always eventually shared the information with me in person. Unfortunately, I doubt that I could ever convince all my friends to SMS-message me individually. Group messaging seems to be too much of a “given” – at least for my travel friends.

I had no interest in seeing my friends’ group-text-shared photos and emojis, but not getting the “Let’s meet…” group-text messages was awkward and kept me out of the loop until the last minute.

11 May 2022: So,

• being able to retrieve the complete content of an MMS message through Mudita Center on my computer will be valuable, BUT
  • being able to see the text portion of an MMS message to a group will be essential when I am with a group and away from my computer.

My impression is that Mudita is working on the former. My hope is that Mudita can enable the latter.

2 Likes

@urszula - Asking again… Do you have anything new to share with us about how Mudita Pure will handle MMS?

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd I believe covered this in a previous thread (I think you were on your Forum hiatus :smiley: ) Mudita Pure won’t have MMS capabilities, however, there was some discussion if it’s possible to view them in Mudita Center. I will ask if that’s still on the roadmap.
Our dev @Bartosz_sp2fet outlined the issue here:

"

1 Like

I’ve also raised a bug for the handling of MMS. I don’t think in its current form it is user friendly at all. Technically the hardware in the phone sounds capable, i’m not sure why a data connection can’t be established just to download an inbound MMS… But then again, i’m not a developer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I will leave my order in the queue for now. If I see for myself that my carrier cannot send at least the text portion of an MMS message to the Pure, then I will return the Pure + accessories for a refund.

1 Like

I created a new APN profile on my Android-7 phone. I excluded all MMS properties & references from this new APN profile, saved it, and selected it as the default APN profile. I then restarted the phone and had someone else with an Android-11 phone on the same MVNO send me various messages. Here is how those messages appeared in the Android-7 “Messaging” app (the default app from Google for Android 7):

• Plain text – auto-sent as SMS; fully received
  • LONG plain text – auto-sent as SMS; fully received as single message, to my surprise
  • Plain text + simple emojis – auto-sent as SMS; fully received, likely because Android has a set of emojis that are based behind the scenes on old-school, character-based ways of writing emojis – such as “;-)” for a winking smiley face.
  • Plain text + photograph – auto-sent as MMS; received as “Message size: 144KB / New multimedia message. / Receive? / (Expire date: May 26 …) / [Download]” (FYI: Clicking the [Download] button failed to retrieve anything, likely because of my Android-7 phone’s new, limited APN profile. I got an “unsuccessful” message after five clicks – five “retries” – of the button.)
  • Plain text to another person + me (group message) – auto-sent as MMS; received as “Message size: 1KB / New multimedia message. / Receive? / (Expire date: May 26 …) / [Download]” (FYI: Clicking the [Download] button failed to retrieve anything, likely because of my Android-7 phone’s new, limited APN profile. I got an “unsuccessful” message after five clicks – five “retries” – of the button.)

I have no interest in the MMS workaround posted elsewhere, because I have no interest in sharing my messages, etc., with Google.

So, if the Pure cannot display the text from an incoming MMS message – EITHER (a) because MMS requires cellular data and the Pure will use cellular data ONLY EVER for tethering, OR (b) because the Pure CAN be configured to receive MMS messages BUT the Mudita developers are not writing code to extract and display the text from an incoming MMS message – then I should cancel my Pure order.

@urszula, no matter whether the reality is (a), or the reality is (b), it seems that the Pure will NEVER support MMS, which I now see as essential for me. Please tell me how to cancel my Pure order and my order for a cork cover and a charger. I no longer have email about these orders. Thanks!

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd Please email our customer support dept @support@mudita.com I will DM you your Order Number, so it’s not public here.

Thank you, @urszula! It’s two orders – one in February, 2021, for the Mudita Pure, and a later order for the cover + charger + earbuds, which someone at Mudita helped me to simplify to the cover + charger after I asked that the earbuds be removed from that order.

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd I just sent you a DM with those two order numbers :smiley:

1 Like

You’re the best, @urszula! Although I regret having to cancel my Pure order today, I look forward to seeing what Mudita invents next in the cellphone space.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Stay tuned :smiley:
We have many exciting things planned for the future.

1 Like

I look forward to seeing what cellphone Mudita next releases! I bought a Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid for its MMS support after cancelling my Mudita Pure order. I like many features of the Orchid, including SW’s focus on protecting customers’ privacy, but its battery life is nothing about which to brag. Plus, I still want an E Ink display, so I hope :crossed_fingers: that Mudita’s next cellphone has E Ink, too!

Update Three Days Later: I disabled the Orchid’s Wi-Fi, which gets used for calls when there is no cellular signal, and the Orchid’s battery-charge level now drops much more slowly when I’m not on a call or bouncing around within the Orchid’s interface. Unless I truly need Wi-Fi on the Orchid, I plan to leave it disabled – which puts my use of the Orchid more in line with the Mudita Pure, which has no Wi-Fi radio!

2 Likes

I’m just gonna highlight your message and give you a wink :wink: @kirkmahoneyphd

1 Like