How will Pure display a received MMS message?

I understand that the Mudita Pure will not send MMS messages. This makes sense to me, given that the Pure has no camera.

This made me wonder, though:

• What will a Pure owner see upon receipt of an MMS message?

If, as I assume, it will NOT be the complete message, then I “second” the request elsewhere on this forum for the ability to reply to messages with stored responses – such as, “Please email that to me, as I cannot view it on my phone.”

7 Likes

@urszula:

Can Mudita now say what a Pure owner will see on the Pure device when someone else tries to send an MMS message to that device?

If a Pure owner will get any type of notification on the Pure device that someone else attempted to send an MMS message to it, then perhaps you could send an MMS message from your smartphone to your Pure device and then post here a screenshot of that notification.

If a Pure owner will get NO notification on the Pure device that someone else attempted to send an MMS message to it, then it would be nice to know that.

I have friends who love to text-message photos to me, and I want to prepare them for the fact that in about three months I no longer will get their MMS messages.

:camera_flash: :no_entry_sign: :frowning_face:

Will I even get notified when someone tries to send me an MMS message? How?

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd This is definitely a good question. I will ask our devs team about this.

1 Like

Thank you. I look forward to the answer!

Also, I get group messages to others and me as MMS messages, even when they are as simple as a few words and therefore in person-to-person mode would be SMS messages, not MMS messages.

I don’t know whether this is cellphone-dependent, carrier-dependent, or a worldwide phenomenon, but it also would be great to know what happens on the Pure when a group message gets sent to the Pure.

UPDATE: I can deal with responding to an “undelivered” MMS-sent photo by asking the sender to email the photo to me, if I can guess that the message contains a photo (e.g., because the preview of the MMS message indicates that it is several hundred kilobytes large). But, I would like to know how group-text MMS messages will be received and displayed on the Pure.

2 Likes

On my Punkt MP01 this is typically what I get
Skärmavbild 2021-08-10 kl. 22.44.06

3 Likes

That’s hideous! I hope that Mudita can do better than that.
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd & @John_Andersson We are still working this out, however, here in Poland, it actually depends on your cell provider. Some of them will send a text message with a link to their website where you can view the picture on the computer.

I asked about this in a private message on Kickstarter quite some time ago, and I was told that any multimedia in the MMS would just show up as the little empty boxes we’re all probably familiar with, but that the straight text content would be converted to SMS and displayed normally.

I hope this is still true.

2 Likes

I like that, so it would be good to get confirmation OR correction from @urszula.

1 Like

Checking in… Any update on this, @urszula?

1 Like

I want to prepare them for the fact that in about three months I no longer will get their MMS messages.

Prepare for them to forget for months, if not years lol!
(ETA: I’ve asked all my frequent texting contacts to add “text only” to my contact info on their phone to help them remember.)

2 Likes

I know the Light Phone 2 can forward images/GIFs to a users email address. That would be a handy feature to have. I wouldn’t mind still getting the image, or a non animated GIF in black and white. At least then in a conversation, I can tell I was sent an image and try to keep up with the flow of the conversation. On dumbphones I’ve had where I can’t see a pic, it can really ruin a conversation. People get mad I didn’t respond to their photo or the conversation was focused around seeing this picture. I know Mudita puts out there this is your secondary device, but for what the phone costs and what I’m trying to achieve in my life, having this as a secondary device defeats the purpose of having the phone in the first place.

1 Like

Protocol wise, MMS and SMS are just emails it should therefore be easy to add MMS forwarding. Group SMS should likewise be simple so long as all of the message headers can be read and written. Specialized email clients aren’t exactly easy to write tho, so I can understand why the devs would be reluctant to implement these features.

1 Like

@braillynn @bmw42 There may be a workaround the MMS issue. Here in Poland (depending on your Carrier), if you have a phone that does not accept MMS, if someone sends you a picture, you will get a link from your carrier informing you of this & directing you to a link where you can see this picture online. This, of course, come with its own set of issues, as clicking on random links may not always be safe. I have an old school BlackBerry & I sometimes get messages like this when someone sends me a gif as a text since it can’t process that file,

So we would click the link from the desktop app and still see the picture thats nice is this confirmed

3 Likes

any updates on this urszula?

1 Like

We looked into this & it looks like it’s up to the network provider. Depending on the cell carrier, you should get a link to view the MMS in a browser. So in Mudita’s case, if you’re using Mudita Center & you’re connected to the internet, you can just click on the link & see the picture/MMS

2 Likes

@urszula so as I understand the only way we’ll be able to see an mms is if the carrier sends a link, otherwise it’s not possible? :thinking:

1 Like

@Wojciech_Wasiluk This is according to the info I received from @Wojciech_Cichon. How it will actually be in practice, I actually plan on testing it myself this weekend & posting a video about it :smiley: So stay tuned!

4 Likes

The Light Phone forwards the photos to your email address. I would like either this option, or to have the photos show up on my desktop app.

3 Likes