How do you meditate if you don’t have time for a full-on meditation?

For many of us here at Mudita (however not for all of us!) meditation is a daily practice which helps regain inner peace and focus.

However, sometimes we don’t have time for a full-on practice.

What do you do if you don’t have a lot of time for a regular meditation practice?
Have you ever tried meditation in a public transport? Or while going for a walk?
Have you ever tried focusing on your breath or listening to relaxing music?
What works best for you during busy days?

We’d greatly appreciate if you could share your experience with us! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve never tried meditation, but due to the meditation timer on the Mudita Pure I’m interested in giving it a try.

5 Likes

I am more of a relaxing music kind of person. Yesterday I had a nice moment with this album by C. Diab.

4 Likes

When I’m too busy to have a full on meditation session, I practice mindfulness throughout the day. In the form of mindful walking, having a tea or coffee meditation, and anytime I am waiting for an appointment or for someone and I dont have anything to do.

6 Likes

That’s cool, did you ever research meditations? Do you know how does such meditation timers works? :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Hi! This is interesting, do you use any tools for these moments of mindfulness? Any meditation apps or something? Can you describe more these moments? What do you do, what do you think about? :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Hey there guys I’m new to this group but I couldn’t help but see the topic. I also used to have the same problem until I started following this one guy who helped through it, I don’t have the videos right now but I can send you the link (it’s free) where he guides you through it… this is the link https://bit.ly/3lavxgB
Much love, Mercy

5 Likes

Breathing is one of my go-to mindfulness activities when meditation isn’t practical. Something as simple as focusing on the breathe without trying to alter the breath pattern can provide a sense of calm. I also like @nkarp14 strategy of simply focusing on a simple task (walking, drinking, etc.) as a form of mindfulness.

6 Likes

I’ve currently got an iPhone and Apple Watch. The watch has a timed “breathe” function that can go for 1-5 minutes or so in intervals. Haptic feedback on the wrist for the in and out breaths so you don’t have to be listening to or looking at something to follow. I find that works well for me.

Even just a simple breathing pattern for a minute or two I find can really help center me, especially when my day gets stressful (i work in tech support with back to back calls all day, so that can be often).

3 Likes

Hi My name is Misha, you can check this site, they provided me with tips I currently use to meditate and now I don’t have any more issues meditating.
https://meditationtechniques2021.com
You can also check this channel to listen to some relaxing sound that may help you clear your mind and meditate easier.

Love and inspiration!

4 Likes

In between my freelance work, early, I set aside about 15-20 minutes to do a stretch/yoga portion for about 5-6 minutes and then after, I do a meditation for about 10 minutes. It helps me for the rest of the day. I hope to incorporate this to be longer and a better timeframe soon.

3 Likes

I am using Nispand Meditation App, Which helps me to be curious to do meditation at times, also use this app at night for deep sleep. While traveling I used to do relaxing music that helps to create mind relaxation and has many more features with mental health benefits.

1 Like

If you don’t have enough time for meditation, you don’t have time for mindfulness life :wink:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, this is actually quite true! One cannot “game” their way into a faster, more efficient mindfulness practice. That undermines the point of it.

However, let’s broaden the definition of what we consider meditation… most days of the week I spent 40 minutes meditating over the course of a morning and evening sit each day. When I can’t do one of them, I meditate on my transit commute, fully engaging my senses in the world around me and focusing on the breath. Even Dogen said zazen, ritual meditation, could be practiced anywhere - sitting in stillness was only one form, and that we shouldn’t get attached to it as the only acceptable form.

One can eat mindfully, work mindfully, walk and move mindfully. But the important thing is to focus on a single task at a time, enmesh ourselves fully in it, and don’t rush because there’s something else we “need” to do afterwards - there’s always something else that “needs” doing, or someplace else we “should” be. Where we are, in each moment, is exactly where we need to be.

3 Likes

Dziękuję za twój komentarz. Jest w punkt. Zgadzam się z tobą. Pozdrawiam i uważnie przeżywanego każdego dnia tobie i wszystkim włącznie z sobą życzę. :heart:

1 Like

@piotrek71 :100: true!

1 Like

The timer on my newly received Mudita Pure actually made me stop and think about what meditation really is? Is it just about breathing (Like other smart watches or phones suggest)? Is it about music? It made me think perhaps not everyone really knows what mediation can be? In addition to the timer perhaps proven meditative suggestions could appear in the preparation grace period before the timer starts? Providing more value/suggestive education to someone in a dedicated meditation app? Otherwise it remains a re-labeled timer?

2 Likes

I like to listen to Mongolian monk chant, but I’m also very keen of this Wind in the Trees Track that plays forever, very relaxing for me. I use visualization half the time to imagine I’m in a particular spot (On top of a grassy cliff, overlooking a forest), and the music is very conducive for creating this scene.

1 Like

No time is not an excuse. Everyone has 5 mins a day to meditate. Whether you choose to make time is the issue. But this whole I don’t have a time is nonsense. If something is important you make the time.

1 Like

I make it a point to be mindful whenever I can. While walking I do it quite a bit. Every time I start to ruminate on the past, I catch myself and go back to my breath. Being present is honestly is how you live a happy life. Bad things will still happen that is a part of like but meditation helps you be aware of even the bad feelings. 5 mins a day will change your life. From there move on to 10. I myself do it 10-15 mins 1-2 times a day