Before you dismiss this topic after reading the title, please hear me out. When I considered getting rid of my cell phone or even limiting my cell phone use (to have more peace but also less EMF exposure), I knew it would not be possible without getting a CORDED home phone, and using it is my main communication device – a device that I use way MORE often than my cell phone. That way I can use my cell phone as an “emergency” device and it can be off or on airplane mode 99.99% of the time.
I knew that although I could have multiple corded phones throughout the house, that I needed to have at least one phone with all the bells and whistles (answering machine, speakerphone, mute, etc) for working from home, but also to make my life more pleasant.
I tried LITERALLY every phone you can think of, and after about a YEAR of trying and returning various phones, I finally found ONE PHONE that met my criteria with high enough quality. The only problem is…the winning phone is NO LONGER MADE. This phone is GE Corded Phone 29582FE1. You can only buy them used, on ebay. I debated about whether I should even post this here, because then I will be competing against many more of you to get this model for family and friends when i need to!
What did this phone have that the others did not? I will list them in order of most important/hardest features to find, to least:
- No lights that must be on all the time (very important for ME as I need to keep this phone in my bedroom
- a light that BLINKS when there is new voicemail, and doesn’t stop blinking until I listen to the voicemail.
- answering machine buttons…to move to next message or previous message when listening to voicemail…to delete a message, etc.
You’d be surprised to know that this GE phone is THE ONY phone that met criteria #1 and #2 and #3!
- speakerphone with acceptable quality (the speakerphone audio quality in the GE model is still not very good, but way better than most)
- button to switch to another call coming in (flash)
- mute button
- speed dial is a nice bonus
- digit buttons (#1-9) that do not break
I wonder if Mudita could bring us a corded home phone for use in our homes, so that we can have more peace in our lives, and less EMFs. This GE phone I’m using won’t be available forever on ebay…there will come a day when it can no longer be bought used.
I can personally testify that my life is INCREDIBLY MORE PEACEFUL since switching to my home phone as my main communication device. It is SO NICE to come home and see – is the light blinking? did i get a message? I know it sounds funny, but until you try this out again, you will not know the profound effect it will have on your life and how comforting and peaceful it is.
Would Mudita consider making this for us? Pretty pretty please???
Thank you for your consideration. You certainly don’t have any meaningful competition on the market currently!!!
If Mudita is also interested in making a secondary phone for the home, that would be great!!! Let me explain…
For other phones around the house in which I don’t need an answering machine, etc, I use the AT&T 210WH 210M Basic Trimline Corded Phone, which I purchased a few of on Amazon.
This phone works ok, is available to buy new from AT&T (unlike the GE model phone which is no longer made!), and is cheap ---- so I can make less of a case for Mudita spending time to create such a phone, but at the same time, this phone could definitely be improved!
Here is why I chose this phone:
to avoid picking up my cell phone all the time, I need to have many phones in the house — one next to the bedside (this one I’ve found to be actually the most important to avoid using my cell phone!), one in the living room, and maybe when i get my own house, one in the kitchen and bathroom next to the tub!
What features does this phone have that are important?
- The dial buttons are on the handset rather than the phone base. VERY handy when trying to dial someone in the middle of the night.
- The digit buttons on the handset have a soft backlight - also handy in the night, but not a dealbreaker, i guess
- There is a button that allows one to turn the ring tone either 1) ON 2) LESS LOUD, or 3) OFF. This is a handy feature because it allows you to make sure that the phone won’t interrupt if someone is sick and sleeping in the bedroom, for example, or other scenarios. This feature is NOT a deal breaker; however, because you could simply unplug the phone cable if you need the phone to not ring for a period of time in a certain room.
I thank Mudita forum for considering all of this.