Harmony won't charge after updates

I have an HA01 that I’ve had for a very long time. I’ve been actively using and charging it for the past several months. I recently updated it to 2.6.0 (I have no idea what version it was on before) and since then it won’t charge. The battery level doesn’t increase, and the charge indicator icon never goes on. The battery level seems to be slowly decreasing. I’ve tried three different charge cables (including the one that worked before the software update) and two different power sources, but to no avail. What next steps should I take to figure this out?

3 Likes

@jammytay Hi. Thanks for reaching out. Are you able to do a factory reset?

Let’s try that first & see if it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help! Just tried a Soft Reset, but it didn’t help.
Of note:

• Before this, I had tried a shut down (through the “Settings” menu) and starting again, and it didn’t help.
  • during the soft reset, a screen came up that said “service in progress.” I pressed the ‘back’ button and it went away.
  • When connecting the Harmony to a computer, it does say “connected,” it just won’t charge nor show the charge logo
3 Likes

OK, I now also tried a Factory Reset. That worked. It’s now charging.

3 Likes

Hello!

From what I see you are trying to charge your Harmony with your computer’s USB port. This charging method will no longer work after the update. The only way to charge your device is to use a simple 5V output charger. It is worth mentioning that Apple chargers should be avoided. Charging method was changed to improve power management so your Harmony should last longer on a single charge now.

I hope this helps! If you will have any further questions you can always reach out to us via email: support@mudita.com

3 Likes

Could proper chargers be supplied with Mudita products incl. phones at increased price? Having different charging expectation from devices might severely damage them in practice or decrease battery life

2 Likes

@RasVoja All devices come with USB-C cable. Users can purchase the ‘brick’ plug-in charger for their specific country/region in our store.

3 Likes

I have the same problem, be it on the computer or the charger, since the last update. In addition, the Mudita app will not update the Harmony clock from 2.5.0 to 2.6.0 because it is… not sufficiently charged. Maybe it would be good to add this ASAP to your “How to update” article on the support website.

3 Likes

@flix-b_4140 We’ve added that info to the support page. Thanks for looking out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, may I ask about the charger you’re currently using? Just to clarify, you need a simple 5V output brick. It’s important to avoid both Apple and fast chargers. Also, I recommend trying out a few different cables, as the one you’re currently using might be wearing out.

3 Likes

Hello, I am using the Mudita charger I got with my Pure phone, which should be 5V. Indeed, some mudita cables have been short lived with me. Regarding one of our two Harmony alarm clocks, a soft reset with the Mudita Pure charger did the trick. Thank you and best wishes

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that your Harmony is charging again. Cables, incompatible chargers, and incorrect charging methods are some of the most common causes of charging issues. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions. Best regards!

3 Likes

Dear Grzegorz, yes, it’s probably good to post this in the forum in this thread where other people might look. However, probably, having a trouble-shooting page on charging issues available (easy to find, maybe you can point me/us to it if there is one) might bring additional value to your support, especially with the risky strategy of having material that cannot or should not be charged by very common material in many households like Apple chargers. The fact that I have had trouble with the Mudita USB-C cables and no other ones is worth mentioning but obviously attributable to your provider and not Mudita themselves. Also, it’s good to be more precise about what you mean with “incorrect charging methods” and please note that, in my case, the issue was resolved with a soft reset (which is linked to the operating system of the Mudita Harmony) with a problem appearing with a software update (for some other people it needs a hard reset), with the excellent intention to prolong battery life. So, explicit communication, as the one you attempted (remaining incomplete) in this thread and taking clear responsibility is just as important as making users understand that electronic material needs to be handled adequately according to the manufacturer’s instructions (as long as those are clear and easy to find, that should already be a good first step). Sorry for the long answer, but I found that your short remark reading a bit like “most issues are due to incorrect handling or non functional material on the user side” needed some balancing. Beyond that, again, keep up the excellent work, Mudita and your approach to tech gives me hope in this world.

2 Likes

All of that information is indeed published on our knowledge base. The article can be found under the following link:

The article explains in detail how Harmony should be charged. What I meant by the correct charging method is to use 5V charger instead of charging with the computer’s USB port. I hope that helps! Plese let me know if you have any further questions.

3 Likes