Group Messaging

Around a year ago I gave up my smartphone and started using a flip phone. First an old Motorola, until my carrier stopped supporting 3G and now an Alcatel. Neither have been able to support group text messaging, which is an inconvenience… Will the Mudita phone be able to handle group text messages?

10 Likes

Currently, the answer to this question is no. However, we will send out an update should this become a possibility. I also feel as though it would be a useful feature. I have previously used group messages with family members as it’s more convenient than messaging everyone individually.

7 Likes

The lack of group messaging is the main thing holding me back from pre-ordering. The only “data” I require is the ability to send MMS messages, and I can live without picture msgs. Group texts though have always been a must, and since the phone has LTE it is definitely possible. Is it something they could add later if not at launch?

4 Likes

It is something we considered during the Kickstarter campaign (with a stretch goal which sadly wasn’t achieved) but there are no immediate plans to add group messaging to Mudita Pure. It might be possible to add with an optional software update at some point but I’m not sure if that will happen.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply! I am on the fence between Light Phone 2 and the Pure, and to be honest, the Pure wins in all the things I need, except this one feature. I’ll probably end up ordering the Pure as it’s the better of two for me, but group messaging is the one thing that gives me pause to consider LP2. Let me know if/how I could convince you guys to really consider it in a future update!

6 Likes

@anon32618512 Just a thought on this subject, but if messaging could be done from the desktop app, could MMS messaging be added to it? If I get an alert on the phone that I’ve received a picture or I’m part of a group message, I don’t mind waiting until I can access the desktop app to respond, and at least I got the message in some way.

Is this solution even feasibly possible?

12 Likes

@kriedley Hi there & nice to meet you!
I do agree on the Group Messaging front (and hope it’ll be included in a future OTA Update), but I’m good with it not being there.
For me, personally, it’s more of a “what’s the family saying now” thing, haha :):laughing:

1 Like

This is a really really good idea. Even if MMS can’t be implimented on the phone, having the option of at least viewing group messages if not responding with the desktop app would be much better than no option at all. The lack of MMS at all is what gives me pause since I’m a part of a few small work and family group chats and losing that would be significant downside.

5 Likes

Such a great idea!

1 Like

At least in the US, you can participate in group texting using SMS through GroupMe

5 Likes

@Ryan_Manheimer Thanks for the suggestion. This is an interesting alternative.

2 Likes

I agree. No Group texting is the only thing keeping me from buying this product.

1 Like

@anon32618512 Not to be redundant, but this is the only thing keeping me from buying this devices as well. The cost is very high for what it is, but I’m ready to pay money to downgrade I want to ditch my smartphone so bad. This isn’t about me wanting the Mudita Pure to be a smartphone. All I want is a functioning, dedicated communication device to be able to keep up with my family. Not having group messaging means I am no longer deciding to take on an inconvenience for myself, but now I am becoming an inconvenience to other people. Add group messaging and I would buy it yesterday. PLEASE LET US KNOW!

4 Likes

I’ve been mostly off smart-phones for the last 12 years, with the exception of a couple years with a Windows phone without dataplan. I’ve done flipphones, slider phones, Palm phones, ruggedized phones. I’m currently on a Sonim 5800 XP5s, which I’ve had for two years. Functionally, it does what I want, but it has some quirks and is way larger than I would want it to be, so I’ve been searching for a better phone but haven’t found one yet.

My previous phone to this one was a CAT B100, and it did not have functioning group messaging. It was pain. Whenever a group messaged me I could read the message. But when I replied, the messages were sent out to all the people in the group but as individual messages. So all or some of the recipients would reply that I “mistakenly” sent the message back to only that person and that I meant to reply back to the entire group. Then I would individually reply to each one of them, that I have a “dumbphone” and can’t do group messages, that I did in fact reply to every person, but to them it appears as single messages not the group message format. Usually I would then get individual replies from each one “LOL” or some other eye-rolling response. All this on number keypad was a super pain. And because I’m the only person I know without a smartphone it’s easy for people to forget, so some months later even with the same group of people this happens all over again, and I have to explain again how my phone works to each individual. I think just about every group message, at least one person would “kindly inform” me of my “mistake”. It became a really big hassle, which was the exact thing I was trying to avoid with my dumb phone.

I like a lot of things happening with this phone, I’m really glad to see the music player which others in this segment don’t usually include, but I just can’t go back to the experience of not having the group MMS. I’m probably ok without the camera, but sometimes I get sent pictures (for work) that I’m expected to be able to open and view. I’d have to process this to understand if this would be a minor annoyance or a deal-breaker.

4 Likes

@jaydee Regarding getting sent pictures, I believe that there is a post elsewhere in this forum that Mudita is investigating how to access the pictures through the desktop app.

1 Like

I like that answer keep things very simple and basic is the best way i say.

1 Like

Phone is a tool. A tool should be able to get the job done

1 Like

Jumping on this group messaging thread to express that group messaging would be nice. I mainly need it for my family when I go town and visit them (coordinating meals and visits on the go).

2 Likes

@peiitforward You’re not the only one who has asked about Group Messaging. I have reached out to our dev team to see if this is something they are considering.

1 Like

Can I just ask what is this ‘group messaging’ thing? I see it appearing a lot in dumbphone discussions.
Is it something Americans do? In Europe I have never uses SMS or MMS in group. For group discussions we have WhatsApp or Signal, which works on PC and is no show stopper for having a dumbphone.

3 Likes