General Privacy (Including Desktop Integrations)

Hello Everyone!

I hope I’m not repeating another post… I tried searching for these questions but was not quite able to find what I was looking for. Feel free to refer me if these are repeat questions :slight_smile:

First off, LOVE this phone! Looks super awesome and the functionality looks to be right on point! Only thing that I would ever add to a phone like this is a maps function, but I totally get that that changes things a lot and makes it way more complicated. Also easy to solve this issue by just getting a standalone GPS.

I am looking at replacing my smartphone with a “dumb phone” soon. I am wanting to do this primarily for privacy concerns; smartphones track your every move and know everything there is to know about you. I don’t like this. So I have a couple privacy-related questions…

Edit Jan. 4 2020, 12:20am PST: clarified questions 1 and 2.

1. During every-day use, what kind of information does Mudita (or any 3rd parties) collect from the actual phone and desktop application? Where is this information stored and how is it used?
  2. When integrating Google Calendar and Google Contacts (with the desktop application), does Mudita or 3rd Parties collect any information from my Google Account and store it? If so, what information is collected and what is done with this information? Obviously calendar events and contacs are collected and sent to the Pure phone… But is there any other info that is collected alongside this? Is any of this information stored anywhere other than locally on my laptop or Pure phone?
  3. If if sync my Google Calendar and Contacts, will I need to manually connect my Mudita phone to my laptop and sync both of those peridoically to keep up to date? Or will newly added contacts and calendar events be automatically, wirelessly synced between Google Account and Pure phone?
  4. I see you can use the Mudita phone as a internet connection for your laptop by connecting both devices using the charging cable. Is the same true between Mudita and a smartphone (say, a friend’s phone or iPod Touch / similar device)? When my laptop uses this internet connection, do I need to have a phone plan that includes data? That is… Is using the internet in this way the same/similar as just opening Google Chrome on your smartphone and navigating the web using mobile data? Or would this count as a type of Hotspot?
  5. If I remeber right, the Mudita OS was designed from the ground up. Is this correct? Or is it based off another OS?
  6. Where are devices assembled? I noticed that over half of the components come from the USA. Where do the rest come from?

I apologize for the amount of questions haha! I also hope that they are clear enough to answer. I hesitated to email this to Mudita support directly just so that others can view the answers to these questions. However, if I should be emailing support directly, please let me know!

Thank you very much for any help,
Luke

5 Likes

@lukef I’m gather all this info for you. Sorry for the delay :slight_smile:

@lukef I’m back with some answers for you. I organized the answers in the same format in which you asked them. This way, if I missed anything, it will be easy to spot. Let me know if this answers all your questions.

1. During every-day use, what kind of information does Mudita (or any 3rd parties) collect from the actual phone and desktop application? Where is this information stored and how is it used? Mudita does not collect or store any personal information or data. None. Seriously. Since Mudita Pure has no connection to the internet it’s nearly impossible for any third party to access your data. The only link between your data and the outside world is the Mudita Center desktop app which enables you to synchronize your data with your laptop or desktop machine.
  2. When integrating Google Calendar and Google Contacts (with the desktop application), does Mudita or 3rd Parties collect any information from my Google Account and store it? If so, what information is collected and what is done with this information? No personal or identifying information is collected or stored. Obviously, calendar events and contacts are collected and sent to the Pure phone… But is there any other info that is collected alongside this? No. Is any of this information stored anywhere other than locally on my laptop or Pure phone? It’s just stored locally. When using Mudita Center , Mudita also does not collect or store any personal information or data.
  3. If sync my Google Calendar and Contacts, will I need to manually connect my Mudita phone to my laptop and sync both of those periodically to keep up to date? Or will newly added contacts and calendar events be automatically, wirelessly synced between Google Account and Pure phone? Since Mudita Pure has no connection to the internet it’s impossible for updates to be done wirelessly. Our desktop app can only connect to the internet to receive secure digitally-signed updates of the operating system or enable internet tethering. Its other purpose is synchronizing your data, adding audio, using selected MuditaOS tools on your laptop/desktop. This will need to be done manually.
  4. I see you can use the Mudita phone as an internet connection for your laptop by connecting both devices using the charging cable. Is the same true between Mudita and a smartphone (say, a friend’s phone or iPod Touch / similar device)? When my laptop uses this internet connection, do I need to have a phone plan that includes data? That is… Is using the internet in this way the same/similar as just opening Google Chrome on your smartphone and navigating the web using mobile data? Or would this count as a type of Hotspot? Unfortunately, you won’t be able to connect to the internet by connecting a smartphone or tablet to Mudita Pure. It can’t be used as a WiFi hotspot since it doesn’t support WiFi. You need to have an phone plan that supports data transfer. You can open up a web browser on your laptop and browse the internet with Mudita Pure connected to your laptop. The phone acts as a modem that connects with the internet using the mobile data plan you have connected to the SIM card inside Mudita Pure.
  5. If I remember right, the Mudita OS was designed from the ground up. Is this correct? Or is it based off another OS? It was designed from the ground up having FreeRTOS at its core.
  6. Where are devices assembled? I noticed that over half of the components come from the USA. Where do the rest come from? The Mudita Pure is manufactured in Poland. Over half of the components come from companies based in the US, the rest come from other parts of the world simply because that’s the only place they are produced.
4 Likes

@urszula Thanks so much! This answers my questions and is very helpful. Also reassuring!
Have a great day!

1 Like

@lukef We’re glad to help. Stayed tuned…we’re planning on publishing a couple of articles on privacy in the next week or so.

1 Like

@lukef Check out part one of our privacy series where we discuss the concept GPS & geolocation: https://mudita.com/community/blog/the-lure-of-geolocation/

1 Like

There is also this thread which might be helpful in terms of PRIVACY: Privacy Policy

Out of interest, what calendar services will be supported with Sync? Will it just be google and Microsoft or will other more private services like proton calendar be supported.

2 Likes

For now, it’s exactly Google and Microsoft.

2 Likes