Gave my smartphone up for good

I just sold my blackberry motion. I am officially without a smartphone. I actually was very much inspired by the founders of the light phone that do not own a smartphone. I always thought they used them on the side but found out during the course of the interview that they did not. I took both my devices away from my kids today, aged 4 and, 8. They have a nintendo switch and a ipad. Today when they were not allowed to use the devices. They were bored. But through the boredom they started to play a game. It was through this boredom that they were forced to get creative.

I want my children to see me set an example and be present so they can do the same.

8 Likes

This post is a nice complement to yours, @cardio79!

Your actions are a model not only for your children but also for other adults!

5 Likes

As a proud “alien” in Denmark, there are some things that I still need the smartphone, such as a translator, parking, etc. However, until Mudita brings a new “smart” option for us, I’ve turned my iPhone into a PDA that only receives calls. I’ve resumed all the apps for what I really need. No subscriptions and no weird notifications.

That said, I don’t have the data turned on even if it is available. I’ve redirected everything to my MacBook at home. I only will use it in case of an extreme need. All the needed updates I do by cable: music podcasts, GPS (I use organic maps), etc. Therefore I have an iPhone “pro” for calls, SMS, and MMS. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep. I gave up mine 5 years ago and it’s wonderful to not be tied to a device wherever. you are. AND my son has gotten to see me not use one, so he knows it can be done. He’s 16 and still doesn’t have one. Yehhhh!!!

5 Likes

Everything done right :slight_smile:

3 Likes