Future of AI: What Lies Ahead?

Yes, the rapid progress in AI is concerning, but it is creating a bit of excitement as to what is possible. You guys know that I’ve been very skeptical about all the LLM technology ( :poop:ShitGPT) & all the issue that come with it, but after I watched this VERY interesting discussion from The Economist, it gave me a bit more to think about. Not that it’s gonna help you sleep better at night LOL, but the perspectives are quite interesting:

The Economist organized a discussion between historian and philosopher Yuval Noah Harari (I’m a HUGE fan of his writings) and Mustafa Suleyman, co-founder of DeepMind (don’t know much about him), on the implications of the artificial intelligence (AI) revolution. Harari offers an academic perspective (and how AI will impact the human experience), while Suleyman provides insights from an entrepreneurial standpoint, being deeply involved in AI’s development.
They address AI’s effects on jobs, global politics, and the future of liberal democracy, delve into its regulation, and question if AI can ever possess agency.

It’s definitely worth a watch.

Let me know what you guys think.

2 Likes

The picture says it all - blue light abounds, and no nature - plants etc.

4 Likes

I’m rather optimistic.
Last year I put myself on the preorder list of the AI pin, a pager/action cam device that you pin to your chest like a combadge and you operate it through voice, touch or a laser. No screen. The point is that you live in the moment instead of through a screen. Funnily enough the AI pin was developed by two senior Apple engineers who invented the touchscreen interface but kind of repented.

many other AI startups are coming. AI will be able to go through my e-mails and chat conversations and notify me only when there is something important. I’ll be able to get things done by just giving a simple voice command and get on with my life. No screen.

3 Likes

@nilss Is this what you are referring to?

1 Like

Yes. It is not coming to Europe yet so don’t hold your breath. They’re not opensource either.

For these reasons I was delighted to hear Mudita is taking another shot at a minimalist phone because until now my experiences with ‘dumbphones’ were not very encouraging. They always broke or got buggy after a month or 6.

2 Likes

An article on the future of AI from a video/photo/content/news/media angle.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I stay as far away as possible from A.I.

3 Likes

Machine learning (ML) is a part of A.I., and I earned a “Machine Learning Engineer” nanodegree (as Udacity.com calls it) in 2018 after working on it for nearly a year. To ‘graduate’, I had to create and complete a final project (almost like a Master’s thesis), and I chose to train an ML algorithm to distinguish photos of screws from photos of bolts (which require nuts). After I trained the algorithm with some 200 photos, I tested it with several photos and showed that the algorithm could distinguish screws from bolts with something like 95-99% accuracy.

Machine learning in this type of scenario can be handy. For example, think of how a hardware-store chain could use a camera and a conveyor belt onto which employees dump a mixture of screws and bolts (perhaps because customers put some screws into bolts bins and put some bolts into screws bins), with the ML algorithm making the distinction and routing screws into one container and bolts into another container.

Yes, if a hardware store rarely has this screw/bolt-mixture problem, then I would prefer to see the store hire someone new to the work world to sort the screws from the bolts. On a massive scale, though, the conveyor-belt/camera/ML-algorithm/sorting-bins approach would be better.

But, I do not like where A.I. is now headed, including Big Tech’s plans to use A.I. (e.g., to censor users on their platforms).

3 Likes

Me neither, I a near future, you cannot distinct true from false anymore, and eventually that will create havoc in the world. People who will trust A.I. more then humans… that is a path you wouldn’t want to follow.

3 Likes

Normally, I would agree with you- but when I saw this segment on the news, I actually thought that it was an interesting & productive use of AI

3 Likes

For some things a can agree with you! It cán be helpfull.
But for what it is used right now… ( social media, privacy, influancy, manipulating etc ) i think it is not going to help people right now imo.
What people do with it, it is up to them, but we need to use such things very consciously. And conscious behavior, is what seems the world is missing these days.

4 Likes

E-ink AI phone

(Still a concept actually.)

2 Likes

@nilss Our team just got back from MWC 2024 in Barcelona & they actually saw the Humane AI pin in action :slight_smile:

1 Like

People at Humane apparently have not heard about the health risks of keeping an active (not-in-airplane-mode) cellular device against one’s body. Yikes!

2 Likes

So instead of looking every 20 seconds to a screen, you talk to yourself and look to the palm of your hand every 20 seconds…:man_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

@mausje75 Like I mentioned in my other post- you’re just replacing one device addiction with another.

3 Likes

The Humane AI device in a way is like a pager that one wears high on the chest instead of at the waist. We often called pagers “electronic leashes” – another reason to reject this device.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’m old enough to remember pagers (picture from 1994/1995)

2 Likes

Cool :grin:! We are probably about the same age then…Dad worked at the main (only) telecom company at the time, I got a Motorola Bravo from him…
https://images.app.goo.gl/Z25nqEEiA61wLhnBA

2 Likes