First impressions of the Pure

Hi there,

Recieved my Pure today, and here are my first impressions and a (small) bug report. I have read about the issues people are having with setup and call quality and battery and crash proneability and was prepared for the worst. But here goes:

Pros:

• Packageing quality was really nice and the unboxing experience was pleasent.
  • The feel of the phone and the buttons are really nice, the plastic has a much better feel than the cheaper options.
  • Initial setup worked OK with my carrier (Hungary). I just had to let it go twice :smiley:
  • I like the interface and the simplicity of the phone, initially it does what it is advertised to do (although there are still room for improvements of course).
  • Screen looks nice, buttons feel nice.

Cons:

• Could not change the APN settings, even after saving, it defaults back to the factory settings.
  • In SMS, hungarian charachters like the: Ĺ‘, ű etc. are displayed as a square, also in the contacts, even if it looks OK in Mudita Center. Also, when typing SMS, I can not use these charachters at all.

Will continue to use it over the week and will update with more details coming forward. I experienced OK call quality (can be improved) and OK reception in most places during my test today.

Also, a big thank you to Mudita for making this come true. I know that it is difficult to make a totally new platform, but I am sure that over time, as the software is getting refined, it will delivery the original vision and iron out the bugs.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your feedback. Just a little reminder, if you experience any unusual issue with Mudita Pure, please make sure to send the logs to Mudita via Mudita Center.

A small update is now in place since I have used the pure as my primary phone for almost a week and I have discovered several bugs, some of which are sort of critical for daily use. I still like the overall feel of the phones quality and the softwares design. And I also still dont have any issues with the call quality either as others have had. But, these are the issues I have discovered - I am sure that all are bugs that can be ironed out to make this a great product, as we all want to see :slight_smile: . From most, to least annoying:

• Hangs frequently, sometimes 2-3 times a day, when it is locked. No notification or anything, you just see that the time is frozen and the right button triggers a restart. Sometimes I dont discover this for a couple of hours and therefore miss calls.
  • Long SMS-es are actually being cut-off as others have stated, but not in all cases. Not sure what triggers this.
  • Hanged at least once by an incoming call, and could only be rebooted by removing the battery. Showed the missed call after the hard reboot.
  • Happened once that I got SMS that I have missed calls, but the phone did not display the call in the list or on the lock screen, only the SMS from the operator. Also not sure if I heard it ring at all, so it might have “missed” that?
  • If NW power is low, the phone switches to other network type, this switch is slow and show no connectivity for some time, before being OK.
  • Music player only sorts files in ABC-order of the song - artist, album or filename based sorting is not available (for FLAC, even though it has tags and they are shown).
  • When copying over files to the internal storage on Linux, I can not copy folders, only files. It allows me to drag the folders over, but when the copy is done, the folder is gone and the files are scattered out in the root folder of the memory. Is this by design?
  • The previously mentioned issue on Mudita Center being able to resolve the hungarian charachters (Ă­ Ĺ‘ ű Ăş Ăł Ă© á ö etc.), but the phone shows squares in SMS and in contact list for most of those.

I have “send statistics” turned on in Mudita Center, but I did not find any option to explicitly send the logs to you, would happily oblige to help you investigate. Or it takes that data automatically?

Thank you, sure this will be a great product after some software polishing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@zeppelin87
Thank you for coming back with more feedback. I will do my best to address all your points individually. This way, I can make sure to tackle all your concerns.

Hangs frequently, sometimes 2-3 times a day, when it is locked. No notification or anything, you just see that the time is frozen and the right button triggers a restart. Sometimes I don’t discover this for a couple of hours and therefore miss calls. Our team is currently working on all the bug fixes that are coming up in MuditaOS. The next update, which is planned for next month, should fix many of the stability issues people are having.

Long SMS-es are actually being cut-off as others have stated, but not in all cases. Not sure what triggers this. This issue is being addressed.

Hanged at least once by an incoming call, and could only be rebooted by removing the battery. Showed the missed call after the hard reboot. I am reporting this issue to the devs.

Happened once that I got SMS that I have missed calls, but the phone did not display the call in the list or on the lock screen, only the SMS from the operator. Also not sure if I heard it ring at all, so it might have “missed” that? This could be caused by a network/carrier issue. I will ask the devs about this. I’ve also noticed this on other phones. If I get a phone call while I’m in a dead spot, like my underground garage or an elevator, the missed call notice will not appear, just an SMS from the carrier.

If NW power is low, the phone switches to other network type, this switch is slow and show no connectivity for some time, before being OK. We’ve noticed that switching between networks in not instantaneous & can take a minute or so to register. I will ask our team if there’s anything that can be done about this or perhaps this depends on the network.

Music player only sorts files in ABC-order of the song - artist, album or filename based sorting is not available (for FLAC, even though it has tags and they are shown). The music player is being revamped. An improved version will be available in a future update.

When copying over files to the internal storage on Linux, I can not copy folders, only files. It allows me to drag the folders over, but when the copy is done, the folder is gone and the files are scattered out in the root folder of the memory. Is this by design? This is not by design. Like I mentioned in the previous point, the music player is being reworked. The goal is for user to be able to upload audio files to their device via Mudita Center. Currently our team is working on implementing this feature & it should be available in a future update.

The previously mentioned issue on Mudita Center being able to resolve the hungarian charachters (í ő ű ú ó é á ö etc.), but the phone shows squares in SMS and in contact list for most of those. Thank you for bringing this up. The Polish language also has special characters, and those appear fine. It should not be an issue to impellent them for other Latin alphabet languages.

If you’re having trouble submitting your logs to Mudita via Mudita Center, there is a thread on the forum with instructions. The link is here: How to send logs to Mudita via Mudita Center

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers, hope that over time the bugs will be fixed. I have sent the log - however, I noticed that the file being attached only has the current date. Does that mean it only sends the logs for the day it is being sent on? Or does it send all logs it has when doing this? Just to clarify :slight_smile:

1 Like

@zeppelin87 It sends the logs of the the current state of the phone on that particular date. So if you make any changes to your phone, like maybe put in a new sim card or even rest your phone, then when you send those logs, the state of the phone will be different. This way, our devs know what’s causing the issues & they can implement fixes quicker.

2 Likes

Dear Mudita!
When can we expect the fix for displaying unicode characters? Also it would be nice if you could add the full support for Hungarian language. There was a contribution in progress on github but it got closed without merging the branch: Hungarian localization 🇭🇺 · Issue #3181 · mudita/MuditaOS · GitHub

1 Like

Hi @maupalantir,
I’m so sorry that you had to wait - somehow I didn’t receive any notification on GitHub - thanks to our irreplaceable @urszula I’ve been notified and the issue on GH is now reopened.

2 Likes

Pierwsze wrażenie. Otrzymałem nareszcie zakupiony Pure i postanowiłem podzielić się swoimi uwagami. Na początku miałem problem z połączeniem się z Mudita center w końcu po wielu próbach udało się nawet zaktualizować systemem.Wygląd i wrażenia z używania świetnie ale mam kilka pytań. Po pierwsze parę razy zablokował się telefon i dopiero wyjęcie baterii rozwiązało problem. Podczas rozmowy zdarzało się słyszeć jakieś trzaski co zakłóca jakoś rozmów. Najbardziej jednak jestem niemile zaskoczony baterią i jej żywotnością. Wystarczy na dwa dni użytkowania, tylko kilka rozmów dziennie plus kilka esemesów. Nawet bez słuchania muzyki. Mój stary smartfon przez dwa dni działa podczas rozmów i korzystania z internetu. Chyba trafiła mi się jakaś wadliwa bateria, bo zapewnialiście że nie będzie trzeba go tak często ładować. Jeśli jest możliwość to jak można sprawdzić baterię. Reszta funkcji myślę że wynika z tego że jest to wszystko nowe i potrzeba czasu na dopracowanie. Pozdrawiam.

1 Like

Battery for 2 days is normal with this device. It’s not optimized for more.

1 Like

To increase battery life I switched off all lights (screen + keyboard) also changed home screen wallpaper to mudita logo (To check the time I started using watch) :slight_smile: hope it helps. - Clock refreshes screen every minute. If the phone “freeze” I sometimes switch to offline mode - Don’t have to take battery out.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice. I will try your suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Two day is normal :thinking:my old Samsung have energy for almost two weeks. :wink:My huawei smartphone working for two days even I use Internet. Battery is this phone is totally s… t​:cry:.

1 Like

Im saying it’s normal for this device. Yes we all want better battery life but the current software and hardware doesn’t allow it.

2 Likes

Ok I understand thank you, and good day for you :hugs:

1 Like

@Jose_Briones The new update is supposed to optimize the battery life. We are looking at a week of usage with the new update.

3 Likes

Nice to hear it. I hope that is make me pure more useful. Two day using is too short for me. I want ask for a minimum week without charging my new pure phone. :wink:

1 Like

Good to hear. Hope it works out as expected.

2 Likes

My short and entirely subjective opinion:

I’m using the Pure for about 2 days now, and it’s interesting that it seems to have already an effect.
I often catch myself unconsciously picking it up and then immediately putting it away. No dopamine kick waiting here :slight_smile:
Of course there are a few bugs here and there, which I don’t want to stress again (maybe after the 1.3.0 release).
So, from my perspective, the phone needs no change at all. Iron out the bugs, and leave it in that state.
If I want to send encrypted messages, I’ll connect it to my laptop and use Matrix. Same applies to any other “Internet” stuff.
The phone is for “phone stuff”. Period.
Ok, I really like the meditation feature :person_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

@nehmetokio Thank you for the feedback. We really appreciate it & we’re super glad you like your phone.