Feature phone and pictures dilemma

Hi everyone!

I’m in the middle of big decisions about decluttering my life in many aspects, and one of these step would be switching to a feature phone (potentially a Mudita Pure). I’m conscious of the problem society is facing regarding smartphone, dopamine, data market, privacy etc… that’s why I’m really considering to unplug my life from the network (partially).

Thinking about switching to a feature phone, to me camera is somehow essential.
I love taking pictures of small good moments or landscapes, but I’m afraid that every time I take my smartphone out of my pocket I’m missing the true essence of that moment, not to consider that taking lots of pictures requires having more and more space to store those.
Are you facing the same dilemma I am?

I’m really in need of some insightful suggestions.
Thank you very much guys.

1 Like

Get a camera? Or repurpose an obsolete smartphone (of which there are plenty) as a camera if you prefer the idea of a smartphone camera.

6 Likes

Get a dedicated camera, of whatever size and quality you may choose. The battery will last much longer between charges than that in a smartphone, and using one should be less distracting: you’ll probably find that you reach for it mainly for more critical and special moments.

12 Likes

Thank you Chris!
I will keep that into consideration.

3 Likes

I too would like a camera option on a future version if possible, just as a handy feature to use if/when the need arises.
To avoid battery drain, could a simple optical viewfinder be suitable rather than an electronic one.

3 Likes

As I wished to add, on actual digital cameras I generally prefer an optical viewfinder to looking at the screen: it’s a different experience, and may also be less distracting to others (if and when we get back to ‘social’ situations?!). However, to do this well, it entails a greater physical size, and more expense.
I don’t want a camera on the phone: there are plenty of cheaper feature phones out there that have this. Isn’t the idea of Mudita Pure (and perhaps others such as Punkt) to strip things down to essentials?
At present, I understand that the Pure will not support picture messaging (MMS), so a camera feature would seem somewhat redundant.

2 Likes

I have had the same thoughts, but in thinking it over i realized that the thing about even ‘just’ a camera on the phone is that once you have that, you will have a gallery with photos in it, which will inevitably be something you’ll be scrolling thru to look at and, hence, spending more time on the phone … which is what we’re all trying to get away from. Just my two cents, but I am so glad there is no camera on this model.

5 Likes

Personally, I am a fan of point&shoot cameras. I have a couple for different purposes. They’re great for capturing moments & they are also fantastic conversation starters. Most people expect you pull out a smartphone & there you are with a point&shoot camera. People always ask why.

5 Likes

IN BRIGHT SUNLIGHT:

• Photography-wise: A digital camera with an optical viewfinder beats:
    • a digital camera with an LCD screen;
    • a smartphone camera.
  • Usability-wise: The Mudita Pure with its E Ink display will beat a smartphone with its LCD screen.

Three bright-sunlight cheers for optical-viewfinder cameras and Mudita Pure!

4 Likes

Thank you, Mudita, for resisting requests to include a camera in the Pure!

Unless a consumer is willing to buy a no-name feature phone from alibaba.com (often in quantities of 10 or more), it is impossible – at least based on what I have seen in many searches of the “interwebs” – to find a feature phone made today that does NOT include a camera.

Yet, there are situations and places where cameras are forbidden. Examples:

• Some election polls;
  • Many courtrooms;
  • Certain high-security jobs.

Mudita will be doing the world a favor by selling the Pure without a camera!

5 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’m with you on this. I actually own a few small point & shoot cameras + a nice SLR camera, for the time when I feel like I need to take REALLY good shots :). Point & shoot camera have come a long way & they are GREAT conversation starters. Imagine pulling one out at at party! Almost immediately, people will start asking you, why do you have a point & shoot camera & not a smartphone camera.

4 Likes

As above, I highly recommend getting a camera. I was in the same position with the potential loss of a camera feeling like the biggest obstacle to getting a feature phone. However, I picked up a Sony RX100 Mk II initially to try it and it blows my old smartphone camera out of the water. I realised how much I was actually losing by using a smartphone camera over a dedicated shooter. The RX100 is perfect too, its probably the best compact camera line out there and remains portable while surpassing entry level dslrs in my opinion. You can pick them up second hand really cheaply. I couldn’t live without mine now!

4 Likes

I was feeling nostalgic enough that I actually bought myself a FILM camera a few weeks ago. It has definitely been a conversation starter, and I also am glad to know I’m supporting a local business which still develops film with a turnaround time of 24-48 hours. Though if you prefer or have no choice but to go with digital, as others on this thread have pointed out, you would regardless spend more time in the moment and not watching the concert you’re at behind a screen.

Going back to film, I also like the idea of not being limited to pixels; so long as you keep the negatives, you can always have it redeveloped using the latest technology. As a fitting example given that we’re moving closer to the holidays (though this is videography rather than photography) you can watch Wham!'s 1986 hit “Last Christmas”—in 4K. The reason is that the video was shot on film; all they had to do was reedit the masters and process it with today’s abilities. Given its age, film is ironically one of the most futureproof technologies out there!

As a side note on the video, notice how people at the party are actually interacting with one another, face to face!! Hopefully the Pure will create more situations like that in our “brave new world”.

6 Likes

Some Slovenian craftmanship. A wooden pinhole camera.

https://ondupinhole.com/

2 Likes

Nice! I made as a child a pinhole camera with a shoe box.

Update: I emailed them a week ago and have not gotten a response, so I now wonder whether ondupinhole.com is still in business.

Update #2: I got an emailed response on 23 November 2021, so, YES!, ondupinhole.com IS still in business!

2 Likes

In Australia, most of our exposure to tech is from Japan, China and USA. Thailand has really been rapidly developing a reputation for great quality since the mid-00s.
Seems like a resurgence in European boutique development is emerging. Hopefully bringing with it lots of great ideas that don’t steal all our free time.

2 Likes

As Mudita, we would love to bring back boutique, European design to technology. Stay tuned! We’ve got some exciting things planned!

2 Likes

The mudita projects remind me a little bit of play.date too (monochrome LCD gaming device). Something very focused on a specific use, doing simple things well.

I’m just waiting til you get the Australian RCM approval before I order too, fyi :slight_smile: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@iota I’m checking on the status of the Australian RCM approval.

2 Likes

Thanks urszula :slight_smile:

2 Likes