Extreme spectrum-based light sensitivity and mudita products

I’d like to buy a Mudita Harmony, and the next gen of Mudita Phone. I’m concerned about the amount of artificial blue light in their front lights, as I am extremely sensitive to short wavelength blue light, and overexposure causes further vision loss for me.
I understand both the Pure and Harmony have 2700k front lights. Is that made with a blue or UV diode coated in phosphor? Is it made from a narrow-band diode? Do you have a graph of the emission spectrum available? Any chance you could use a narrow-band diode in about 690 nm for the new phone?

6 Likes

@dandelionc

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

The concept of “color temperature” and “narrow-band emission” describe two different characteristics of light sources and are often used in different contexts.
We’ve passed on your concerns to our team and are waiting for them to respond.
However, it’s important to know that while a narrow-band diode emitting at about 690 nm could be used in an alarm clock, it might not be the most versatile or cost-effective option for general use.
A narrow-band diode at 690 nm would be particularly useful in applications where you want a very specific red light, such as in medical equipment, spectroscopy, or optical communications.

Let’s wait for our team to respond with a concrete answer if this is something we can consider.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for checking on that.
I realized I made a typo in my original post. I believe I meant to say 588-590ish nm. That would emulate the emission spectrum of the low pressure sodium lamps that used to be on our streets. It’s a spectrum that’s very gentle on the night vision. Bonus, mosquitoes tend to fly away from 530-590 nm light, according to some marketing material for yellow LED lights and some studies I found while trying to understand my light sensitivity. I tried to include a link for a low pressure sodium lamp in my post, but I guess the forum robot won’t let me. If you do an image search for “low pressure sodium lamp spectrum”, you’ll see what I’m writing about.

5 Likes

@dandelionc

Thank you for the clarification. I did some research on low-pressure sodium lamps and it looks like they are used in some astronomical observatories because their narrow spectrum allows astronomers to easily filter out the “light pollution” from these lamps, making it easier to observe celestial objects. Like you said, they are also used in some street lighting applications where color rendering is not a primary concern, as they are quite efficient in terms of the amount of visible light produced per watt of electrical power consumed. However, their poor color rendering makes them less suitable for general-purpose lighting.
After talking to our team about your previous questions & they told me that this is not an option for future phones. However, they’re taking this under consideration for other devices.
Additionally, in response to your question about a graph of the emission spectrum available, our team has informed me that we actually ordered equipment to measure the light spectrum, so in the near future we will be able to make such measurements.
Hopefully this clears things up for you. Let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Likes

@urszula, thanks for looking into it. Can the light on the phone be just completely turned off?

What products is the team considering using 590-ish nm lighting in?

I’m looking forward to the graphs of light emissions. I find that information very itneresting and helpful.

4 Likes