CalmApps maybe becoming PaperApps

Yep! My favorite time on a smartphone were my days with Windows Phone so I thought it’d be fun to bring that back in a way that felt good on eink.

1 Like

Behind the scenes, PaperMaps is virtually identical to CalmDirectory. It’s more ui/ux changes than anything. So if you liked and used CalmDirectory, I would say that PaperMaps is in a state that can take over if you like the UI.

2 Likes

I appreciate the feedback but it’s probably not something I’ll change in the UI. I may decrease the visible portion some but overall I expect the UI to remain very similar to how it is.

2 Likes

Fair enough, your app, your design!

1 Like

Great work on this, awesome!

I have one question about PaperTunes: I downloaded an album from YouTube, but only the artist or album of my local music files show up when I click artists or album. Is this intentional, or am I missing something? I can’t find an option to add an album to my library or something. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I just saw someone asked this same question and I know now that you’re still working on this. So I’ll just wait patiently :slight_smile: Again, thank you for all your work!

1 Like

Hello @davidray ,

I have been enjoying the PaperTunes and PaperCalendar, since the first 20 minutes you posted them here. I do have fond memories of my first windows phone too so, I truly am enjoying these apps, thank you deeply for your contribution.
I have 2 bugs that I would like to let you know of;

PaperTunes;
I’m connected to my Youtube Music, I have a paid subscription, music playing is from my own playlist, they are all downloaded.
(I have found out the actual problem as I was taking the screenshots). When you press shuffle on the player, “coming up” tab updates to, yea a shuffle, but it is not really shuffled.
See from Screenshot1.

Player is in the shuffle mode, only i can say this, coming up page shows a shuffle of my playlist, for the next screenshot I’m clicking the “Hexes - Tesseract” (one above the last song). And it plays… (Screenshot 2)

Which is not what I clicked, at first I thought the song given when clicked from “coming up” was random but no, if I revert the shuffle to OFF (pay attention to where the Hexes - Tesseract is)…

it keeps the original sorting of the playlist, and doesn’t actually play what is shows in the shuffle. So this is the issue with the PaperTunes.

For PaperCalendar,

I was checking my calendar for the day (21st of September), it is synced with davx5, and it shows “work from home”. But I don’t work from home on Mondays, so I checked, I couldnt figure out what the problem actually is but, the bug exists, for multiple items even. I will add the screenshots;

you can see, I’m at the 21st of September tab, and I see working from home. But when I open up the agenda item itself it shows;

October 15 Tuesday as the date of this agenda item.

Again I don’t know the reasoning of this bug I tried to troubleshoot it but couldnt manage.

Thank you for your contributions again.
Regards,

1 Like

These are great bits of feedback, thanks!

PaperTunes: I think I’m fighting myself on the shuffle. The way I did it CalmMusic vs the way ArchiveTune does it. I’ll get those in order so that the “Coming Up” list is always accurate.

PaperCal: this is definitely an interesting one. I wonder if it there is a bug somewhere for recurring items. I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

I now use the Etar app, which the DAVx5 app syncs with my household’s calendar hosted at our Nextcloud instance.

After @davidray can kill this bug, I may try PaperCal, thanks to your post, @mertgndz!

2 Likes

i think I found the issue, 15th of October is the date I started this reoccurring item in 2023, but has nothing to do with the issue.
I added my municipalities plastic-green-paper trash collection dates to my personal calendar and synced it to the app to see the issue maybe, I didnt have it before because I knew the days already.
Plastic –> Tuesday all day event
Organic –> Wednesday all day event
Paper –> Thursday all day event for example.

on the PaperCalendar i see;
Plastic –> date is tuesday but i see it under Monday and Tuesday
Organic –> date is wednesday but i see it under Tuesday and Wednesday
Paper –> date is thursday but i see it under Wednesday and Thursday.

All day events show up the day before as well it seems, it might be about how all-day events are handled.

1 Like

Ohhh, that helps a lot. That should be easy to debug and fix. Thanks

2 Likes

Here’s an update for PaperCal. Can you give this one a go and see if it remedies your issues? This now uses the same date logic as the legacy Fossify Calendar that I forked this from.

2 Likes

just tried it, they seem fixed thank you so much!

1 Like

Update

PaperTunes

  • Downloads are now automatically added to the library
  • “local” on the Artist Detail screen is now “in library” and shows local/downloaded/added to library
  • The hardware back button will now act the same as the back button in the paperui application bar
    • This means that using the back button when on the 3rd page on the home screen will now take you to the beginning of the panoramic page instead of out of the app. Same behavior if your in a nested screen like artists. This is now more similar to how Windows Phone behaved and helps with accidental app exits.
    • I might implement a double back to exit in the future if we find it’s necessary
1 Like

Hey, thank you for the quick fix, as always! Although this only worked with 1 album for me. I tried downloading another album after the update, but it didn’t add it to my library.

2 Likes

Good catch. There’s a timing issue with the download and adding to library. I’ll have a fix out soon.

2 Likes

I love the PaperTunes app and have been using it as my primary music app for about a week now! Thanks for your work!

I noticed two things:

  • Occasionally a song just… doesn’t work. It will look like it’s playing for a little bit but nothing happens. Downloading also doesn’t work. When I look them up on Youtube Music they do work. Here are two examples:
  • When an album on Youtube Music (so not a local abum) is finished, a random song will start playing. Even when repeat is toggled on.

Just thought I’d mention it, I don’t know if you were already aware of these things.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Is calm cast going to get the Paper treatment as well?

1 Like

I’ve been a little nervous to touch CalmCast because everyone seems to really enjoy that app. I might pursue that soon if PaperUI sticks on these other apps.

5 Likes

@davidray you could just fork it and have calm cast and papercast

1 Like

I have to admit that the UI for PaperTunes/PaperApps is confusing, especially navigation-wise, and distracting. I don’t understand the point of having another page “peak” from the right. It just feels like the page was cut off instead, and it makes the app feel unfinished. It’s just too much.

7 Likes