Audioplayer question

Will the multida phone has the option to increase the playback speed of sound files played (I often listen to audiobooks at 2.5-4x speed). This seems like a very easy feature to program into the music player, but I think it could also be overlooked hence why I am asking. This is actually the most important feature for me for the phone (along with signal)

2 Likes

To add more questions on the audio player:
What about m4a (ALAC)?
What will be the option for playlist selection? Is there going to be an option to select folders to play?

1 Like

I’d like to add a wish for the audio player. A setting in the desktop app to mark an audio file to remember playback position. Good for longer downloaded audio files/podcasts.

2 Likes

Hey @anon76975706, playlists will be available and you’ll be able to organize your music in the desktop app then sync it with Mudita Pure. We support FLAC. Due to the audio quality, these formats are practically identical. Plus, ALAC is a lossless alternative to FLAC designed by Apple so we don’t really want to use it.

Thank you for the suggestion @Alex.
Unfortunately, Mudita Pure won’t have the option to slow down or speed up playback. It might be possible in future but our engineering team have not confirmed that with me yet.

This is a nice idea. I’ve asked the engineering team about it, so when they let me know, I’ll get back to you!

What needs to be done to get this feature into the phone? It’s incredibly simple to design (easier than giving it the ability to play another file format). This is the single most important feature for me in the phone. Do I have any option besides withdrawing my pledge for it?

1 Like

I’d be interested to know what you do @Alex. Are you an engineer? I’ve spoken to the team, the phone’s design has been finalised, there are to be no more features added, including the one you’ve suggested. Please get in touch with us via email if you have any further concerns.

That’s definitely a big +1 for me. I suspect a lot of Mudita users will also be audiobook/podcast fans, and so having the ability to automatically save where you are up to, or to be able to bookmark, would be great.
I think a device like Mudita needs to aim to make a users life tranquil and stress-free, so remembering where you are at, fits in perfectly with those aims.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in the argument against ALAC. It’s a popular format (on Apple-Land), it’s open-source (Apache-2.0) and even royalty free. I mean it’s definitely low-priority, but I don’t see anything that speaks against it as audio formats don’t pull in a large amount of (compiled) code, maybe something for a community patch :wink:

1 Like

One potential argument would be if the Pure relies on a hardware decoder which happens to not support ALAC. If the decode is purely software based I don’t see any reason for not implementing it other than being low priority.

2 Likes

It’s easy to speed up podcasts on the computer (with apps like Audacity or rubberband) and save the sped-up versions to the phone.

2 Likes

Try TunesKit Audio Converter download. Actually, I use it to convert audiobooks. But it can also change the speed of any audiobooks or other audios.

1 Like

Will the audio player read/sort audio files via the mp3tags, or would you just have to select the audio files through a directory format and filename?

2 Likes

@jaydee I will ask my colleague @Wojciech_Cichon to answer this question.

Hi @jaydee
That’s the plan - we want the users to be able to sort the files by going through the directory structure first, after implementing this we plan to support sorting by artists/albums/playlists.
I hope this answers your questions :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@Wojciech_Cichon Thanks for your help on the forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

Being able to add/organise from the desktop is a big plus! Takes me back to the good ol’ days of mp3 players :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can do that with Musoconvtool.

1 Like