Audiobooks? Anyone have an Audible alternative

I’m a huge fan of audiobooks. I currently use Audible & I’ve been with them for over 20yrs (Yes, I’m OLD) way before they were bought by AMAZON. I’m trying to move away from Amazon & Audible is the last product that I am still using because I can’t find a suitable replacement. I’ve heard of StoryTel (which I believe is a Swedish company) and then there is audiobooks.com- but their selection is not as extensive as Audible.
Anyone using a service other than Audible & happy with it? I’m looking for some great alternatives.

4 Likes

I’d suggest people start compiling a list here of DRM-free audiobook sources. If the book is DRM-free, it can be converted to one of the file formats supported by the Pure.

I’d suggest a multi-phase approach:

1. Remove DRM from your existing books if possible
  2. Switch to a DRM-free book store

For (1), a service such as Openaudible or running Audible-Activator followed by FFmpeg on your local computer, might be an option.

For (2), a list here might be of benefit to Pure users.

The FSF’s “defective by design” anti-DRM campaign has a list of DRM-free ebook sources, and DRM-free media in general on the rest of the web site.

5 Likes

Purchase from iTunes? iTunes audiobooks are also recommended for some specific reasons. You can make use of Tunelf Audio Converter to remove the DRM on them to freely enjoy your audiobooks.

4 Likes

I have to say that I’m also a fan of audiobooks myself. It may not be the solution you are looking for, @urszula, but most of the time, I’m able to find the books I’m on the hunt for on YouTube or through websites that offer free audiobooks you can listen to.

4 Likes

I use https://audiobookbay.net/ but you may need to fiddle around with a vpn. If I have my VPN connected to the States I have issues but if I use my NL ip it goes through without a hitch.

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you for the insight! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Both StoryTel and Audible have their own pros and cons. Maybe this side-by-side comparison can help you make a choice. If you are worrying about Audible books’ compatibility due to DRM copyright, you can use an Audible book converter to remove DRM from Audible. Then you can listen to them at any time on any device and player.

3 Likes