The Mudita Pure as the perfect companion in a primary/secondary phone relationship

Hi Mudita Family, very exited to get my hands on a Pure later this year.

One thing and I waft back and forth on is am I a strong enough person to give up my always connected life? I have taken steps to eliminate screens from the bedroom and keep phones in a designated space in my home. However, there is also the reality of life and work that will keep me tied to a smart phone for the foreseeable future.

I think back to a time early in my career where I carried a Blackberry for work and had my personal iPhone for friends/family/personal. That use case was easy because my work phone at that point had it’s own phone number etc. It was also easy to unplug from work and just be on my own schedule and personal time - just put the Blackberry down and don’t look it - problem solved. Also at this point in time the iPhone was not overcrowded with apps notifying you of everything so it was less painless to use as a daily driver. However since the corporate world has moved to BYOD, that has now shifted and consolidated the devices I carry and face the ever present reality of nonstop interruptions be it work, personal, or just some random notification from my phone telling me something about itself.

Am I able to really go cold turkey and give up the connectives productivity side completely? I don’t think this is actually feasible or realistic. Is it realistic to give all my friends and family multiple phone numbers to reach me on? I don’t know. I still need to be on Slack during work hours, even if I have the flexibility to walk down to a coffee shop or spend as long as I want over lunch.

I’m currently planning to put Mudita Pure on it’s on phone number and set up a complicated phone call forwarding system to make sure that phone rings if my “primary” device is off. My current plan is to continue to use my primary 20 year old cell phone number with my iPhone, then change my “no answer call forwarding” to ring the phone number I set up on the Mudita Pure rather than go to voicemail. I will then configure the Mudita Pure’s phone number’s “no answer call forwarding” to forward to my GoogleVoice phone number and voicemail system. This way after I am done working or the weekend starts, I can turn my iPhone off and not worry about missed calls.

The one problem this presents is text messages. Being an iPhone user means being locked into iMessage. About 90% of my “texting” goes through either Signal or WhatsApp. This is something I’m still figuring out.

After doing a bunch of research on Carriers in the USA, it looks like most have features/plans that allow for your same number to ring/text multiple devices. Currently this is reserved mostly for Smart Watches/Alexas and secondary devices like that. The issue with all three of the solutions - from Verizon, AT&T, at T-Mobile - is that their solutions require active data connections to operate. They also seem to be really trying to limit the functionality to sell more smart watches. I believe I also read that AT&T particularly had an issue where their initial plan was to have a network controlled switch so you could use whatever multiple phones tied to the same number but they changed those plans after their network switches became overwhelmed.

To me the perfect relationship would be to somehow have a Mudita Pure on a NumberSynced carrier controlled system so both devices can share the same phone number - meaning calls ring simultaneously and text messages go to both devices. Outbound calls would also call out with the same number. I know this is impossible with the current implementation of the Pure hardware and requirements from the carriers to maintain an active data connection and be more smart watch like but it is a pretty cool idea. I could easily give up iMessage and go back to SMS if I was able to get them on two devices at once.

Let me know your thoughts: How are you going to cope with the digital detox or what is your plan to keep your work/life balance truly in balance?

4 Likes

I’m also thinking about Mudita Pure as a secondary phone. Most likely as my private/personal phone since my job gives me an iPhone.

2 Likes

@Jesse_Gill I understand your dilema. I personally have a two-phone system. I use a smartphone for work, since I do interact with our community, not only on this forum, but also on social media. In my private life, as I wait for the Mudita Pure, I use an eight-year-old Blackberry. If you’re curious about what it’s like to use Mudita Pure as a secondary phone, please check out our most recent video:

2 Likes

i am going to use it as my only phone the pure ive used a light phione as my only phone for over a year now but i know everyone cant do as i do and i own the company i work at my own carpet store so i have no boss telling me i need to be on a smartphone everything i need to do for my business i do on a laptiop.

5 Likes

Do what works best for you! :slight_smile: I transitioned from an old iPhone SE to the heavy duty Kyocera in February of this year. That was an unpleasant switch, but it really forced me to think about why I wanted to do this. By March, I knew I was determined to continue with this, but hated how heavy and clunky the Kyocera was (fortunately it was my dad’s old phone, so not an unnecessary purchase). So I went to the Alcatel Flip, a much slimmer design, and have been using it consistently as my main for the past 7 months. Yes, it has its random glitches at times, and the predictive text is hilariously frustrating :sweat_smile:, but I enjoy the freedom it’s given me. I no longer panic if I forget my phone at the house, or lose it momentarily. (Forgetting my iPhone would send me into a panic sweat…) I love how more independent I feel towards navigation. I used to rely too heavily on Apple Maps to get to easily reached places. I definitely miss having a good camera though! Haha. I use my iPad in tandem while at work, as my coworkers communicate through a messaging app, but when the work day is over, the iPad is put aside and it’s really nice.

4 Likes

^ Because of the cost to replace it, or because of its many features?

4 Likes

Pretty much the fear of losing something with so much personal information in it (with all my contacts, emails, banking app, etc).

3 Likes

Do you still have your light phone and did you preorder a mudita pure device or no?

2 Likes

I would love to hear about this. I have a mixed relationship with predictive texting. It’s actually a love-hate relationship (it’s complicated LOL).

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd & @hummingbird12 There’s actually a name for this condition:
Nomophobia - fear of being without phone

3 Likes

@Jesse_Gill I work as an ICT professional and I have a smartphone as a SECONDARY device. It currently has no SIM card. It’s connected through the WiFi so I can do some things like banking, MS Teams etc. My PRIMARY phone is a DORO6050, a phone ‘for the elderly’ but as a consequence has great call quality. I know that in the US it’s hard to get a dumbphone because of the lack of 2G networks, but in Europe we will have 2G for a long time still, and dumbphones you can buy everywhere, even in the supermarket.
On the road, if I really need to be online, I opt for either the smartphone or a laptop using a mobile hotspot. I have a special phone plan with an extra SIM card just for data. Again, that’s not something available for most, so I do get the wish from people to get a dumbphone with tethering.

If my Doro ever stops working I would seriously consider a Mudita Pure just to support these wonderful people here.

4 Likes

@nilss There are few of us here on this forum who have a spare smartphone- without a simcard that’s dumbed down, that we use for various tasks. I have an OLD HTC ONE (I
think it’s 7 or 8 yrs old) and I use it for Audible. Although I am not an AMAZON fan & I know Audible is an AMAZON product, I’ve been using it for over 20yrs & I still haven’t been able to find a good alternative. I posted about it here:

1 Like

My partner got this phone for me because he said I am always starting at my phone getting stressed out. Well, we recently received the shipment notice & are waiting for the phone. I guess now is the time to start thinking how to make the switch.

2 Likes

The switch is most probably going to be difficult. I felt emptiness when I got off Youtube for a week, so definitely find something to fill your time with that you will actually be happy about doing - listening to music, reading books, finding new hobbies or meeting with friends are good options.

1 Like

I felt emptiness too when I reduced my phone usage(no social media, shopping apps, youtube for more than 15 mins a day) but when you get past that initial emptiness…wow! You start remembering who you are and what you actually like doing. You realize that there are so many things you’d rather be doing and you have this feeling of FREEDOM and possibilities. Life feels more real again. It’s very refreshing and liberating and has me feeling so much better about my life and myself.

2 Likes

This is such a great comment, really appreciate it! It sounds really motivating to just keep going and keep trying to be more present offline. Thank you for sharing :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

So glad it was of benefit to you! Yes please keep going! Like many things in life it is hard at first but the end reward is so worth it and it becomes totally natural and easy after a time.

1 Like

I have tried the whole smartphone thing, but it wasn’t for me. I primarily use a basic phone. It would therefore be a minimal change to use the Pure, and would use it as my only phone. Perhaps, I might maintain an Android tab or smartphone without a SIM card in it, specifically for occasions where I might need some sort of smart functionality, but at the minimum, the Pure would be my primary phone (most likely my only phone). The main reason I can think of for maintaining another device would be to use Signal messenger or WhatsApp, although people already know not to attempt to contact me on the latter. I believe both can now be accessed on a regular computer web browser.

One function I would perhaps miss on the Pure would be a camera, but I don’t take photos that often. I’m sure if I ever went somewhere, where I knew I would be likely to take photos, I could just take my little Fuji point-and-shoot and a couple of spare SD-cards.

Should my employer require me to have a smart phone for my job, it is not unreasonable that I should expect them to provide it, and not unreasonable that they should expect it to be unreachable outside my contracted hours.

1 Like

The topic is controversial at best, and provocative at least, I will break it down:
“The Mudita Pure as the perfect companion in a primary/secondary phone relationship”

Mudita pure is not perfect, nothing is ever perfect.
Mudita pure is not a companion, It is tool, a telephone.
People use telephones to help maintain relationships.
Telephones do not enter into relationships with each other.
Primary/secondary types of relationship is a very complex topic.

“The secret to happiness, you see, is not in seeking more, but in developing capacity to enjoy less”
– Socrates

“Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you”
– Lao Tzu

my 2 cents

1 Like